New member and new on VTR1000

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
TorbenHarbo

New member and new on VTR1000

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Helloooo everyone
I just got my first VTR1000 Firestorm and I'm thrilled! She's from 2001, the updated version.
What a ride, love the sound with the Scorpions in the back :D

I came from a Suzuki Bandit and must admit that I was a bit worried about the clunky gearbox :?
It goes "CL-CL-CL-ClunkScrunk" from first to second gear especially at high revs. Stays in gear though. Apparently that's a characteristic of the VTR, found a helpful post in here.
What a fantastic forum!

Issues I'm unsure about-
She's thirsty all right, but the gauge says empty after 160km or 100 miles... then I fill it up, it can only take about 10-11 liters. Is the gauge faulty?
It goes "click" in the steering when braking and "click" again when I stop braking - that's when I'm braking hard-ish. Anyone with that experience?

Anyway, I'm enjoying my new bike! :thumbup:
Have a great summer out there
podman

Re: New member and new on VTR1000

Post by podman »

Welcome in mate, any pics of the bike?

The click is most likely the head bearings....and yes, coming from a Suzuki, the gear box is very clunky and the leve travel has quite a long throw to it but as you say, if it stays in gear, all is normal.

Fuel consumption isnt marvellous but your 2001 bike(if a "true 2001 model) has the larger tank, so be thankful for that!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As long as it is a late model...Half digi gauge ?

Then the bars go down to one bar, then it will turn red then it will start blinking thats when you really need to find a filling station.

Depending on how your riding i.e. what your doing with the right hand on the go go switch you should be looking at 130+ miles per tank easy...

Even on a 16ltr tank i've seen 120 between fills so a 19lt tank should do that easy.

There is also the the fact that you can get more fuel in if you sit on the bike & fill it, rock he bike side to side & watch the fuel drop when you think its full up...

Now saddle up & come along to this tomorrow... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40712
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome to the forum sir. get a few pics up and lets be seeing your new steed :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TorbenHarbo wrote:Helloooo everyone
I just got my first VTR1000 Firestorm and I'm thrilled! She's from 2001, the updated version.
What a ride, love the sound with the Scorpions in the back :D

I came from a Suzuki Bandit and must admit that I was a bit worried about the clunky gearbox :?
It goes "CL-CL-CL-ClunkScrunk" from first to second gear especially at high revs. Stays in gear though. Apparently that's a characteristic of the VTR, found a helpful post in here.
What a fantastic forum!

Issues I'm unsure about-
She's thirsty all right, but the gauge says empty after 160km or 100 miles... then I fill it up, it can only take about 10-11 liters. Is the gauge faulty?
It goes "click" in the steering when braking and "click" again when I stop braking - that's when I'm braking hard-ish. Anyone with that experience?

Anyway, I'm enjoying my new bike! :thumbup:
Have a great summer out there
High rev's makes the clunk worse, I find using the torque of the big V twin helps, so changing up into 2nd gear early rather than revving it out in 2nd gear works better IMHO.

Welcome aboard TorbenHarbo :thumbup:

Yes I agree, the steering head bearings are probably making that clicking sound. If they do need replacing fitting a set of taper roller bearings is the best replacement option. Just don't torque them up as you would for normal ball bearing type bearings if you're following a workshop manual for this job,

Chris.
TorbenHarbo

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Hi everyone
Pics are mandatory so here she is :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky8mdrkvdmbe2 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/doxpywixqo7ks ... 2.jpg?dl=0
The cockpit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pj6qsf0jugse ... 2.jpg?dl=0
That's the newer version with the 19 l tank, right?

Sweet ride thundering down the freeway :cool2

I think you're right about the head bearings. I'll have it checked at the workshop ASAP.
My tec told me "it's probably the floating breaks" but it really feels more like a head bearing thing.

Thanks for replying everyone :thumbup:
Great forum, really appreciate your input. Can't make it to Birmingham tomorrow though, the flight from Denmark is full and I've got plans on the freeway :arrow:

Cheers
podman

Post by podman »

Looks good mate, nice set of cans on it...Yes, it is the newer model.