Engine ticking help please.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
IanSpain

Engine ticking help please.

Post by IanSpain »

Big hello to you all ! I've just joined having recently bought a 99 Storm. Got her for silly money as she had some rough running issues. I've reset the TPS to 500 and fitted manual CCT's according to the excellent guide here. Found the inlet camshaft on the rear cylinder was one tooth out !!! She now runs really smoothly BUT, the engine still ticks ??? Doesn't happen till it's warm. It sounds like tappets , if it had them ! Any ideas please ?
I've ordered some Wirth progressive fork springs and a YSS shock so I'll post my thoughts on those after I've fitted them :-)
KermitLeFrog

Re: Engine ticking help please.

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Did you check the valve clearances when you did the MCCTs?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Mine does tick slightly when cold, but it goes when it warms up. Did you push a feeler in there when you had the rocker covers off?

If you didn't, looks like you might have to.

Just pop in "cam chain ticking" in search, 66 for you to read :thumbup:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/search.ph ... in+ticking
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it's all coming apart agin to check valve clearances. Why didn't I think to do that at the time......
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check for an exhaust leak at either the head to exhaust joint or at the collector underneath.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Can feel the exhaust blowing on the right side under the engine so exhaust paste purchased. Tomorrow's jobs are to check the the entire exhaust and also change the coolant, just for peace of mind. Gut feeling is valve clearances but gonna start with the exhaust first. Whatever it is it can't be too serious as she purrs along at 110 with plenty of pick up in reserve ;-)
Looking forward to fitting the new fork springs. I'd heard that they were soft as standard but it bottoms out at walking pace over speed bumps !!! Always amazes me how the likes of Honda can get something so wrong when they get it so right on other models. Got new head bearings to go in at the same time as she wanders a bit under braking.

Will try and post some pics as for an 18 year old bike she's gleaming cosmetically :-)

Thanks again for taking the time out to post some advice !
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Depending where it could be possibly leaking then you'll need to renew either the manifold crush copper gasket (no. 2) or depending on what link pipes you've got attached to the header - it could be a graphite seal (no.6). Sometimes hi-temp silicone can help, along with decent clamps W4 / W5 Mikalor supra SS clamps.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Exhaust sealed up, it was only blowing in one place where the aftermarket link pipe joined on to the header on the right side. Flushed and refilled the coolant, it was tight without taking the fairing off but possible. Being as I'd realigned one of the camshafts the day before I decided to balance the carbs again. Wasn't as difficult as the first time as I'd left some "plumbing" in place from the previous attempt. It was only out by a fraction. Took her for a blast and she picks up really smoothly from low revs and idles nice and even. Think I'll ride for the summer and make the valves a winter job.
Wirth fork springs and YSS shock on the way. Will be doing the head bearings and swing arm linkages at the same time. She should ride better than new, fingers crossed.
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Been around the engine with a screw driver, listening for the location of the noise. Without the benefit of another bike to listen to, my best guess is the primary drive chain. It was definitely loudest in the region of the front of the gear box cover near the starter motor on the right hand side. Does anyone have any experience with this ? Cheers, Ian.
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Just looked at some diagrams, might be clutch, water pump chain ???
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Does this noise go away if you pull the clutch lever in ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

No, the noise remains whether the clutch lever is in or out ?
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

IanSpain wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:15 pm Big hello to you all ! I've just joined having recently bought a 99 Storm. Got her for silly money as she had some rough running issues. I've reset the TPS to 500 and fitted manual CCT's according to the excellent guide here. Found the inlet camshaft on the rear cylinder was one tooth out !!! She now runs really smoothly BUT, the engine still ticks ??? Doesn't happen till it's warm. It sounds like tappets , if it had them ! Any ideas please ?
I've ordered some Wirth progressive fork springs and a YSS shock so I'll post my thoughts on those after I've fitted them :-)
Hi there...my storm has had the same issue. One tooth out on the timing chain on the rear cylinder. Had new CCTs fitted and the mechanic that is doing the MOT said he took it out for a spin afterwards and said it was very smooth and rode beautifully. He phoned me this morning and said there is another issue. First it wouldnt start...then when it did it was really rough like it was on one cylinder then it got warm but the front cylinder was running hotter than the rear cylinder and he isnt sure what the problem is...only just had it and spent some time and a bit of cash getting it really nice...might be time to bin it off me thinks...