Evenin all!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Beef

Evenin all!

Post by Beef »

Hi,

I have me a Firestorm track bike, don't know anything in detail about the model so will be asking all sorts of bone questions at times!

Searched about clutch slipping at high rpms (slips a bit in 4th, 5th & 6th around 7-8500rpm), I shall change the oil for a mineral oil/semi synth as recommended...problem is, I don't have anywhere to see if that fixes it until the next track day! :?

Brakes are a bit lacking in initial bite but with practice I was scrubbing off speed from 9000rpm to a 3rd gear corner from the 100m marker (I was more than happy with that!)

How easy is it to see if the stopper mod has been done (5 mins, 10 mins - an hour?)

Anyway, rode my first 'Storm back in 2001 when I swapped bikes with my mate and really liked it then, so when I was offered this track bike, I didn't need asking twice!!

My other steeds are a 91 S1 Lightning & 2012 Multistrada :D
grumpyfrog

Re: Evenin all!

Post by grumpyfrog »

Welcome to the nuthouse Beef.
Someone will come along soon and point you in the right direction about your questions. I just break them, so no point in asking me...
Where abouts are you from? might be someone near abouts that can give some guidance.

Grump
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you can test to see if the stopper mod is done in about 10 mins.

1) take the 8mm bolt out of the end of the rear cyl CCT [it will leak oil, but don't worry]
2) put a small flat blade screwdriver in the opening
3) locate the slot in the end of the tensioner screw, turning CW when looking for the slot so you don't inadvertently unwind the CCT too far
4) once you are located in the tensioner screw slot, turn the screwdriver CCW, but no more than 1 1/2 turns.
5) if you have a stopper fitted, you will hit a hard stop before you get to 1.5 turns, if you don't hit a stop, you don't have stoppers.
6) put screw back in and start engine and the CCT will wind its self back to correct tension
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum beef.You will find the answers to all your questions on this forum along with a bit of banter.Where are you based it's always handy to know as you may need help with some things.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks guys- always up for a bit of banter :thumbup: , I am Just South of Reading. Only moved in end of last year and house is a complete renovation project so (much to my disgust) spannering bikes is low priority at the moment. I have 2 days at Snetterton booked mid July so I really need to get her sorted for then........
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Fireblade brakes and EBC clutch and go ride like a god.
welcome along by the way :thumbup: .
pictures pictures or it didnt happen..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Beef :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Beef :thumbup:

As Al (AMQQ46) says regarding checking if you have the Stopper mod fitted.

**EDIT**
Although after having another read of Al's reply, I'm sure he has No's 3 and 4 the wrong way around. Turning the screwdriver clockwise retracts the CCT plunger. That's what you need to be doing to see if it comes up against the Stopper if one has been fitted,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard Beef :thumbup:

As Al (AMQQ46) says regarding checking if you have the Stopper mod fitted.

**EDIT**
Although after having another read of Al's reply, I'm sure he has No's 3 and 4 the wrong way around. Turning the screwdriver clockwise retracts the CCT plunger. That's what you need to be doing to see if it comes up against the Stopper if one has been fitted,

Chris.
cheers Chris, that was an important error
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

Fit some new clutch springs, either standard or slightly firmer ones, while your there measure the plates with a micrometer, or vernier will do, specs will be in the workshop manual (which I think is one here somewhere ?) if ok then re use them, check steel plates for any blueing which they might have if it's been slipping lot, clean them and rough them up slightly and the they should be good again.
Clutches last well on these bikes, I find most times when a clutch starts to slip it only needs new springs, but it maybe knackered if it's been subjected to prolonged slipping.

Also make sure the clutch pushrod is clean and not gummed up with old chain lube and bleed the clutch through with fresh fluid.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: welcome to the forums :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have a set of kevlar fibre plates and uprated springs ready to fit if you need them.
Used, but known good, came from a tuned engine and capable of handling more than std power.
Comes with spring retainers modded with ti dished top washers instead of the steel flat washers as std.

All you will need is a clutch cover gasket.

Tip: when removing clutch slave, either cable tie the piston in to stop it fully extending and allowing air in or remove the clutch lever.
There's a spring inside which pushes the piston out if you don't.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Some great advice, thanks all. I will let you all know the outcome when I can find the time to look - especially the offer of the clutch.

Watch this space :thumbup: .....................