Chosen a firestorm and picking up on saturday

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fatfreddy000

Chosen a firestorm and picking up on saturday

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice on my last post regarding what to look for when purchasing an old firestorm.
And big thanks to Ian (Kermit) who kindly went and viewed one for me.
Anyway I've decided to go with that one up in Hexham.
A lot rougher cosmetically than the other option but it does have great service history, manual cam chain tensioner, braided hoses, hi mount exhaust.
Just chatted to the seller who's a very amusing chap, he assures me that it looks absolutely disgusting with hand and spray pain on every surface but it seems to have been well looked after with good forks and seals, tyres, pads etc..
I will train up on sat morn with helmet in hand, then a long old ride back to east London.
Praying the weather will hold out for a pleasant experience.
Very excited I must say to be finally having a go on a vtr, been a while since I've ridden something with that much power.
I will get onto greasing the rear linkages (as recommended) when back and fitting the old alarm and speed camera gps thingy currently on my old bike.
Main thing is to not get it nicked as there was no point in getting theft cover with near a grand compulsory excess!
I will no doubt be posting again soon with questions that come come up as I slowly try and improve her.
Thanks again, wish me luck..
Last edited by fatfreddy000 on Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fatfreddy000

Re: Chosen a firestorm and picking up on saturday

Post by fatfreddy000 »

This is the one if anybody's interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-vtr-100 ... true&rt=nc
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good luck with the first long ride.
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good luck with the ride home.By the description it looks like you will be busy for a good few weekends. Enjoy the most under rated bike IMO Honda ever made.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
popkat

Post by popkat »

Check petrol stations for your route back, the tanks are small and depending on how they are set up and running or being ridden you could be anywhere between 80 and 120 miles to empty.. best bet fill up before you leave then again at 70 miles and see how much you've used. tank is 16 litres but you can never seem to get that much in. play it safe or spend time at the roadside..

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Shame you're coming up on Saturday. I'm out and about that day.

Anyway, don't worry too much about the tank capacity. Just fill it up to the brim with the bike upright. Easiest sitting on it. You get at least another litre (or more) in the tank that way.

Have fun, bring sun glasses....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Shame you're coming up on Saturday. I'm out and about that day.

Anyway, don't worry too much about the tank capacity. Just fill it up to the brim with the bike upright. Easiest sitting on it. You get at least another litre (or more) in the tank that way.

Have fun, bring sun glasses....
And wet gear :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looks like it only needs some tlc and a paint job and it'll be a nice bike, where abouts in the east end are you, i'm there from time to time..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

the paint doesn't look toooooo bad in the pictures, give it a rough sand and go over with a nice black metallic. No need to take it right back then.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Get up there early and ride back via Al' s workshop day near Stratford on Avon and we'll give it a once over.
There's also a bbq, and from there it's only two and a bit hours home.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote:Get up there early and ride back via Al' s workshop day near Stratford on Avon and we'll give it a once over.
Good proposal Tony.

Freddy shout out if you are interested and I will pm you contact details
AMcQ
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

tony.mon wrote:Get up there early and ride back via Al' s workshop day near Stratford on Avon and we'll give it a once over.
thats a great offer.
i will look into that, if i have time i will let you know I'm coming.
many thanks..
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

agentpineapple wrote:looks like it only needs some tlc and a paint job and it'll be a nice bike, where abouts in the east end are you, i'm there from time to time..... :thumbup:
hi mate, I'm actually in clapton at present, i live on a narrowboat on the river lea so always up and down between tottenham and bow way.

regarding the cosmetics thats exactly what i thought from the photos however the seller assures me close up it really is very bad (maybe we have different standards!)
i think the main issue is not the state of the tank and plastics but the fact that much of the frame, engine, wheels, bits and bobs have been rattle canned or brush painted very poorly without prep..
im eager to see it to see how bad it really is- i bet its much cleaner than the ragbag of a gpz750 I'm on currently!
once its time to get new rubber on i will get the wheels and any other bits in dire need off to be powder coated, in gloss black i expect..
also hoping to find a grab rail or small rack so my partners got something to hang onto- about £70 on eBay new but i'll put an advert on here and see if someones got a cheap one.
thanks all.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fatfreddy000 wrote:
regarding the cosmetics thats exactly what i thought from the photos however the seller assures me close up it really is very bad (maybe we have different standards!)
i think the main issue is not the state of the tank and plastics but the fact that much of the frame, engine, wheels, bits and bobs have been rattle canned or brush painted very poorly without prep..
im eager to see it to see how bad it really is- i bet its much cleaner than the ragbag of a gpz750 I'm on currently!
The current owner buys and sells fairly recent and clean second hand bikes. As you say, your standards may differ from his but, he's being sensible and making sure any expectations are low.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
fatfreddy000 wrote:
The current owner buys and sells fairly recent and clean second hand bikes. As you say, your standards may differ from his but, he's being sensible and making sure any expectations are low.

of course, he seems a real genuine honest guy.
..its pretty refreshing to have an eBay seller promoting an items bad points so vehemently..