Hello, new member looking for advice in purchaching a firestorm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fatfreddy000

Hello, new member looking for advice in purchaching a firestorm

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hello,
Cheers for a great forum. I have been a member of many others over the years as my choice of bike has changed from TZR's and RD's onto 4 strokes including a TDM850, old Z1000, GPX6000R, currently a ratty old GPZ750 unitrack.
Anyway, I'm looking now into potentially purchasing a VTR1000. I need something with more grunt than my knackered old GPz and fancy a twin. I was looking a tl1000's also but th handling sounds a little scary..
Any advice on what to look for in a cheap second hand model would be greatly appreciated.
What are the most common problems?
I have a bit of chat about changing over to manual cam chain tensioner- is this cause the stock one can fail?
I'm looking at a couple on eBay..
Here they are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152529910317? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-vtr-100 ... 2529910317

I'm attracted to the first due to the super low miles (16,500)
But the second (33,000 miles) still has the fairing, a high mount aftermarket exhaust and some indication of replaced cam chain tensioner.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Mat.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
alanfjones1411

Re: Hello, new member looking for advice in purchaching a firestorm

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbup: :wave: The second bike has had the auto cct's changed to manuals,but it all depends on what you're after.Bodywork can be bought quite reasonably but will have to be painted but the one with manual cct's already has the bodywork although it will need painting.Your choice. :?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
podman

Post by podman »

Apart from being a 1000cc V twin, the Suzuki is a very different animal to ride and depending on your view point, that makes it either better or worse.

Depending on how supple you are, you may find teh TL riding position much more uncomfortable too.

As for the storms, id buy on condition, then mileage ...you did the right thing asking on here as I didnt know about the cam chain tensioners before buying mine and beware even a later registered model can be a smaller tanked version as I found out AFTER buying mine.

Ive had mine since February and absolutely love it, they are a great buy for the money.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

The second one is located in Hexham. I live in Hexham. Happy to take a look at it and give an opinion.

WRT to mileage I agree with the other posters. Condition is more important.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Where are you Freddy?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Thanks for all the replies..
I am based in London so a fair journey to go for either of these.
I was hoping to choose one and head up with the money on the train and hopefully not be too disappointed to buy..
The second higher mileage bike is described as very rough 'a cosmetic Horra!'
This ain so important to me, I'm fine with the rat look but obviously want something with sound mechanics that I can continue to improve..
Also living in London means anything too shiny tends to get nicked.
The first bike appears to be in better condition with lower miles but is lacking the fairing.
The only 2 reasons I would lean toward the second would be the manual cam mod and the high mount exhaust system.
How troublesome is the stock cam chain tensioner set up?
Do they always fail at some point and wreck the top end?
I think it's weighing mainly on this for me- higher miles with cam chain mod or lower miles with standard.
But I know very little about the grr so please continue to offer advice.
Many thanks.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi Kermit,
That's a very kind offer.
If you find the time I would really appreciate that I site as it's too far for me to go just to have a nose.
However don't go out of your way as I can't promise I will be buying either of theses I'm just looking and they looked like pretty good value and within my budget..
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Had a chat with the owner and just taken a look. It's a strange mixture. Obvious care has been taken and mechanically it's sound. Sounds good when running. Service history up to 32k. Didn't check if it had a replacement RR but what with the other tweaks I guess that would have been sorted. It's been painted everywhere, not very well. All I would do first off is to check the rear linkage for grease.

I asked if he would take less but he's sticking out for that price. My feeling is that for £800 it would be a very good buy.

Any other questions, just ask.

Cheers
Ian

ps. I have his name and phone number.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings have a gander through this which will help pin point areas of the bike that'll need scrutiny.

*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi Ian,
Your a legend.. thanks!
Been thinking about both these vtr's today and defo leaning towards the second one even though cosmetics are poor.
Can you let me know what the cans sound sounded like. I.e road legal, or deafening or nice tone, or somewhere in between..
It's been on eBay a few weeks now so I may watch a bi longer and try and offer of 800 or so, that's kind of what I was thinking..
Thanks again for your time..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the forum.

the CCT is always a gamble, there is no set milage or usage that will trigger it and 90% of the time it will bend valves...... BUT the cost to fit manuals isn't too high [and a stopper mod is free], so don't let that dictate the bike you choose
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

fatfreddy000 wrote:Hi Ian,
Your a legend.. thanks!
Been thinking about both these vtr's today and defo leaning towards the second one even though cosmetics are poor.
Can you let me know what the cans sound sounded like. I.e road legal, or deafening or nice tone, or somewhere in between..
It's been on eBay a few weeks now so I may watch a bi longer and try and offer of 800 or so, that's kind of what I was thinking..
Thanks again for your time..
The cans sound fruity. They are much louder than stock but not as loud as the ones I had on my own bike. They sound good to me and it's got a recent MOT. The RH can has chopped a small nick out of the hugger but that's no big deal. The headers are in good nick, surface rust but they look like they've been refurbished not so long ago and they have decent clamps on them.

There's a fair bit of surface rust around the place but all of it easy enough to clean off. The engine's been rattle-canned and the wheels painted with a wallpaper brush. The shock and brake calipers are standard but with nice Goodridge braided hoses (in silver thank goodness). Front indis are silly mini things and the rear indis are stuck to the side of the rear fairing. But, it looks like parts of the loom are new and shiny.

It looks like it came from Bishop Auckland way and they are strange down those parts. Just ask Watty!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

All sounds pretty good.
Just a shame someones slapped crappy paint over everything.
I am now on hold as the insurance quotes I'm getting for London for 3rd party only are ridiculous.
Will be doing more research on that and hoping to resolve..
If anyone has tips on getting cheap insurance let me know.
Ta..
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I had the tlr, great bike and better than the S. Was the seating position that did me though due to back issues.

I had a mate that recently let his S go for a grand.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

TLr or TLs.. many an argument have been had there.
I fancied the TLr as well actually. Was never certain whether it had the same widow maker reputation as the TLs but I just preferred the look really plus I believe the motor was a little more highly tuned at 135bhp or something.
Anyway, I think I've got my mind set on a VTR now, I was initially put off after watching several reviews comparing the late 90's jap V twins and claiming the VTR was lacking something and boring. - i reckon that was just relative to the insanity and unpredictability of the tl's power and handling though.
they seem good value money currently.
A lot of fun for a grand or so..