*** Read Me for New Members ***

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
VTRDark

*** Read Me for New Members ***

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome
First off welcome to the forum and the VTR 1000. You will find us a helpful bunch on here with plenty of useful advice and guidance along with some friendly banter. If you are ever unsure of anything then don't be afraid to ask, especially when it comes to workshop or mechanical questions.

As new members you most likely don't know your way around the forum just yet. So this thread is here to provide you with some relevant links and info to get you started.

Using the Forum
Please take the time to read the forum rules Note that members are required to have a minimum of 50 posts before posting in the Sales and Wants section of the forum. As a result of this you also wont be able to send Private Messages (PM) to other members, though you will be able to receive and read private messages from others who have the required post count.

How to Create a New Thread and Post
Choose a section of the forum to start a new topic and post in. Try and keep things to the the relevant section, you then select New Topic from the bottom of the page.

Then give the topic a relevant title. Please think carefully about this one "look at this". " "you gotta see this", "Please help" etc etc does not help anyone when searching. Try to put yourself in search mode, what would you type if searching for your topic, pick a few hit words and try to incorporate these into the title, you have a maximum of 60 characters.

Then type out your post making use of the available text formatting features from the toolbar. The forum uses BBCode which is a markup language similar to html For more info on BBCode see the following BBCode.org

Once your happy you can Submit from the the button at the bottom of the page. It helps to preview things first and have a quick read through, check spelling etc.

How to Add an Avatar - Profile Picture
You can upload or link to an avatar from the User Control Panel at the top of the page. You then select the profile tab along the top of the control panel and Edit avatar tab from the left. So that's user control panel/profile/edit avatar. There is a maximum file size and image dimensions listed. If you need to resize an image then you can do so from the following online tool.
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Adding Images to your Posts
The forum does not allow you to directly upload images into your posts. To add images to your posts you need to use one of the many online image hosting sites. You can then copy and paste the code across into your posts.

How to Post Pictures Using Photobucket

How to Put Pictures in your Posts

How to Add YouTube Movies to your Posts
This can be a tricky one. Do not use the youtube embed code that they supply under the share tab. This does not work for forum posts, you need to copy the URL directly. It's not always a straight forward copy and paste into youtube tags though and can take some tweaking.

Code: Select all

[youtube]url goes here[/youtube]
The forum does not strip out the features within the URL that are directly related to playing movies inside of youtube. You need to keep the link as simple as possible, strip out any extra code such as feature=related or any other random characters that may appear.

Example from Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A8VfwLFQnrA#!
Would be stripped out to the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8VfwLFQnrA
[youtube][/youtube]

Note that if your logged into your YouTube account then the URL may be on a secure server shown as https In this case remove the s from the end of the protocol back to http.

I have found that if you have a URL that contains a lot of confusing characters it is not so easy to break down. Under these circumstances copy and paste the title of the movie into the youtube search box and select the movie from the search and 9 times out of 10 it returns an abbreviated form of the previous URL.

Forum Search Tools
The forum has a reasonably good search and advanced search facility at the top of the page but is limited. A better alternative is to do a google site search as follows:

By adding your search query first followed by site: and the forum URL including the HTTP:// at the start.

Example

forum search site:http://www.vtr1000.org/
which results in the following: google site search

For more info on how to use the forum see the Frequently Asked Questions

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Re: *** Read Me for New Members ***

Post by VTRDark »

Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications
The VTR is a very reliable bike with very few issues. The two biggest concerns if not already dealt with are the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's) and the Regulator Rectifier (R/R) which should take priority in maintenance/upgrades.

You can download a PDF Honda workshop manual from the following:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18025

A Haynes manual is OK and has some snippets of info that you wont get in the Honda workshop manual, but be aware that it can be misleading and tells you to do things that are not necessary, for example, draining the coolant system to remove the Carbs. The Honda workshop manual is superior, though it does require you to have an understanding of engines and some previous mechanical experience, whereas the Haynes manual is aimed more at the hobbyist/home mechanic.

Cam Chain Tensioners
The original Honda tensioners are of the auto type and self adjust on installation. The problem with these is that when/if one fails (usually the front) it can cause catastrophic engine damage/failure where you loose the timing and valves can go crashing into the piston.

Tensioners can fail at anytime and most of the time without any previous warning and there is no specific age limit or milage for them to do so. Running with the standard Honda auto's is taking a gamble.

There are three options to choose from to prevent any damage.

1st - Manual CCT's which is the most popular solution. These are a complete replacement over the Honda tensioners which as long as installed and adjusted correctly are a fit once and leave solution. They require adjusting roughly every 16,000 to 20,000 miles. There are various sources for purchasing manual tensioners.

Your options are here

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (CCT's)

2nd - Fail Safe Stopper Mod which is a cost free option accept for your time. This is a modification to the Honda auto's by inserting some 8mm bar so when/if there is a failure this prevents the tensioner going so slack as to loose the timing and possible engine failure. Once there has been a failure the tensioner will need to be replaced with a new one which would require one to do the stopper mod once again.

Fail Safe Stop Mod (aka Stopper Mod)

3rd - Honda Auto Tensioners. Yes the standard ones you have that are prone to failure, so not really a prevention, but I thought I would throw it in as an alternative option. There are some folk that have been running the standard tensioners for many 1000's of miles without any failure but there are rules to keeping the longevity and smooth operation of them. This does not guarantee that they wont fail so I would advice anyone wanting to keep the Honda Tensioners to do the Stopper Mod.

Advice on Running Honda Tensioners.

Regulator Rectifier
You will find the Regulator Rectifier (R/R) mounted on the right hand side subframe near the battery under the tail fairing. If you have one of the early model bikes then the R/R will be of the non finned type. These are prone to failure and could leave you stranded one day.

There's a few options out there as a solution, but there are basically two alternative replacement designs depending on funds and availability. There is the same design R/R as you have now but finned which aids with cooling or you spend more and get a more modern MOSFET one which internally is off a totally different design.

For More Info

Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks

Last edited by VTRDark on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Some Useful Links
Most of these links are in the Workshop Knowledgebase as a resource for the most common issues or tutorial/guides. For general Workshop enquires please use the Workshop section of the form

When working on the bike there are gong to be times when you need to jack up either the front, rear or both parts of the bike to gain access and remove/replace parts.
How to Lift/Jack up the Bike

One of the more common mistakes when working on the bike is to reconnect the fuel tank vacuum hose on the wrong part of the fuel tank petcock/diaphragm.
Fuel Tank Vacuum Hose

Suspension linkages should be checked and re-greased regularly They have a habit of drying out mainly due to the heat being so close to the rear header pipe.
Swingarm and Linkage Bearings Servicing

Not everyone has the Honda toolkit under the seat. One of the most useful tools in there is the Spark plug spanner. The plugs are mounted inside a deep recess. A 12mm plug spanner is what is needed.
Spark Plug Spanner

With the Starter Motor being mounted at the front of the engine it gets some abuse from the weather, especially if you ride all year around. The starter bolt can rust if not maintained and protected with dielectric grease.
Slow Turning Over, very Corroded Starter Connections

Because of the position and angle of the front cylinder head, there can be issues with the bike cutting out and/or running rough in heavy rain or after washing the bike. this is caused by crud blocking a drain hole. The moisture will affect the front spark plug.
Problems Cutting Out in the Rain

Because of such small fuel tanks a lot of folk tend to fill the tank to the brim with fuel whilst sitting on the bike. This can be an issue especially in hotter conditions. As fuel expands with heat it can block the tank vent causing a vapour lock.
Fuel Tank Vent Bike Cutting Out

It wont be long before you will want or need to tune/jet your carbs. This will give you an understanding of what does what and how to make changes.
Carb Tuning Guide

And if you would like some lightweight reading then heres an interesting technical manual on tuning in general.
The Big Tuning Manual PDF Download

There's times when you may want to get some new Decals. Why not get your own printed in whichever colour and size you want.
Vector Scalable Graphics

And before you ask heres some links on fuel consumption
Fuel Consumption

Full to Empty

Last edited by VTRDark on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Reserved

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

am I allowed to reply and say bloody fantastic carl :clap:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great write up Carlos :clap: :clap: :clap:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Carl, good job, well done :clap: :clap:

Chris.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Could not agree more, Great job Carl... :thumbup:
Thanks Chrisc
seb421

Post by seb421 »

A true credit to the forum you have put a lot of time and effort in for this group and its much appreciated by all, just wish it was so back when i was starting out with a fist full of questions

Can you get a GSXR 1000 and sort those sites out now please :D

Everyone is so helpful here and forthcoming with help and information I would challenge any other forum to rival this
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:Some Useful Links
Most of these links are in the Workshop Knowledgebase as a resource for the most common issues or tutorial/guides. For general Workshop enquires please use the Workshop section of the form

When working on the bike there are gong to be times when you need to jack up either the front, rear or both parts of the bike to gain access and remove/replace parts.
How to Lift/Jack up the Bike

One of the more common mistakes when working on the bike is to reconnect the fuel tank vacuum hose on the wrong part of the fuel tank petcock/diaphragm.
Fuel Tank Vacuum Hose

Suspension linkages should be checked and re-greased regularly They have a habit of drying out mainly due to the heat being so close to the rear header pipe.
Swingarm and Linkage Bearings Servicing

Not everyone has the Honda toolkit under the seat. One of the most useful tools in there is the Spark plug spanner. The plugs are mounted inside a deep recess. A 12mm plug spanner is what is needed.
Spark Plug Spanner

With the Starter Motor being mounted at the front of the engine it gets some abuse from the weather, especially if you ride all year around. The starter bolt can rust if not maintained and protected with dielectric grease.
Slow Turning Over, very Corroded Starter Connections

Because of the position and angle of the front cylinder head, there can be issues with the bike cutting out and/or running rough in heavy rain or after washing the bike. this is caused by crud blocking a drain hole. The moisture will affect the front spark plug.
Problems Cutting Out in the Rain

Because of such small fuel tanks a lot of folk tend to fill the tank to the brim with fuel whilst sitting on the bike. This can be an issue especially in hotter conditions. As fuel expands with heat it can block the tank vent causing a vapour lock.
Fuel Tank Vent Bike Cutting Out

It wont be long before you will want or need to tune/jet your carbs. This will give you an understanding of what does what and how to make changes.
Carb Tuning Guide

And if you would like some lightweight reading then heres an interesting technical manual on tuning in general.
The Big Tuning Manual PDF Download

There's times when you may want to get some new Decals. Why not get your own printed in whichever colour and size you want.
Vector Scalable Graphics

And before you ask heres some links on fuel consumption
Fuel Consumption

Full to Empty

Many thanks for that, you guys on this forum certainly are a fantastic help. :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
RodsOddsAndSods

Post by RodsOddsAndSods »

Thank you for all of the posts, helpful before I have even asked a question...
dannymassive

Post by dannymassive »

A good read. Very helpful for new owners :thumbup:
biker9999

Post by biker9999 »

Don't understand your silly 50 posts before placing an add rule. I have a few firestorm bits left from when I sold my storm 3 years ago and I joined the forum (for the second time I think) so I could offer them to members so if you are interested in an Abba stand, standard screen, belly pan, Goodrich stainless hoses, yellow oxford luggage (good match for yellow storm), set of original exhaust in good condition then have a look at Gumtree and maybe Ebay. Thank you and goodbye Firestorm UK.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you have a previous incarnation on this forum (though you seem not sure) - then contact the moderators to resurrect your earlier account without the restrictions.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 95#p389295
biker9999 wrote:Don't understand your silly 50 posts before placing an add rule. I have a few firestorm bits left from when I sold my storm 3 years ago and I joined the forum (for the second time I think) so I could offer them to members so if you are interested in an Abba stand, standard screen, belly pan, Goodrich stainless hoses, yellow oxford luggage (good match for yellow storm), set of original exhaust in good condition then have a look at Gumtree and maybe Ebay. Thank you and goodbye Firestorm UK.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
rufs

Post by rufs »

Great post