New owner/'98 VTR

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
ChazMo

New owner/'98 VTR

Post by ChazMo »

Hi all from upstate NY, USA-

Got a 1998 VTR (US model/Super Hawk) with 12,266 miles on it in May from a friend of a friend. It had been sitting (apparently) most of 12+ years so I had a mechanic-rider friend muck out the fuel system (no time myself) & service/get 'er running. So far stock all around but thinking about doing the fork springs/oil and valves (though I'm only about 155 lbs (70 kilos) + gear), putting on a fork brace, maybe some Yoshimura RS-3 slip-ons & (if needed) Factory Pro re-jet. Unsure about the rear damper- only a few hundred miles so far due to work & weather. Any advice on these?

Want to take/keep my 'nads out of the fuel tank so also thinking of finding a used seat base and having Sargent (not Corbin) make me a new seat. Also, wondering if the Factory Pro shift star mod is good/cures clunky shifting- and wishing they still sold their spark advancer (discontinued). Any advice appreciated!

Great bike so far- riding easy/wary for now on old (apparently 2004 date code) tires which my mechanic (very experienced rider) said were good/fine but I DO NOT trust (look good but suspect they are hard/none too sticky)- 13 years old! I wanted to put on a new pair of Michelin Power RS- but he insisted not needed!

Last bike was a 1979 CBX- so a big change from a revvy 6 to a torquey V-twin!

Regards to all my fellow VTR mates in the UK (mother's family from Nortern Ireland) and elsewhere!

PS- Motor runs great/no flat spots, etc, noted so far on stock carbs BUT feel it is running a bit rich in that I can twist the throttle a few times and then start it from cold in warm weather without any choke/enrichener use whatsoever. What say you all on that?
StormyRob

Re: New owner/'98 VTR

Post by StormyRob »

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of knowledge on here. Fantastic bike to own.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Yes, welcome.

They appear to run a bit rich, just ride behind one and sniff. But I suspect that's just due to the fact they were designed before everyone was worried about fuel economy and started fitting nasty lean FI systems.

Just burn the juice and enjoy the seamless throttle response from the largest carbs ever fitted to a production motorcycle.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

Hello. The vtr is a great bike to own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChazMo

Post by ChazMo »

Thank you all, very belatedly, for your responses (and sorry for the big delay). My excuses: work, life, etc.

One thing that threw me about this bike was the substantial wander/instability I got last year when riding (with proper tire pressures, albeit on old rubber now being changed) in a rather moderate crosswind- about had to change my undies- and concentrate to stay out of the oncoming lane! That prompted me to consider tweaking the suspension- been planning, reading your posts, etc- including going for a Coerce fork brace. A few questions in such regards:
1) steering damper- have used one in the past & seems like a good idea; like the Hyperpro (tank front) unit, but it is nearly $600 here (damper plus mounting kit)- worth doing?
2) rear damper & spring- I am about 12 stone/168 lbs/76 kilos dressed; what adjustment is best (as a starting point) for the stockers at my weight for (sporty) road use: are they adequate or should I consider changing?
3) do you think Hyperpro fork springs (guess they are progressive) would be suitable, & what rate; or would Race Tech linears (.85) be better?
4) also, should I install Race Tech gold fork valves for only compression or both compression & rebound?
5) finally, a rear shim- 4mm, 6mm (see conflicting comments); or will that only increase the bike's speed/crosswind instability?

Though an experienced rider (since age 8), I am far from a bike suspension guru. THANKS for any info/input you can give.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

It shouldn't have instabilities or problems with a cross wind, so you need to investigate that before making other mods.

New tyres is a good idea, and also check wheel bearings / steering bearings /rear suspension linkage bearings and wheel alignment.

It's shouldn't need a steering damper unless you have fitted a pretty big spacer or dropped the forks.

Front forks, get the linear springs that are correct for your weight, do the fork mods detailed in the workshop section and fill up to 140mm air gap with 7.5wt oil. Don't know anyone in the uk who has used the valve kits, so can't comment.

At the back, For your weight, the rear Spring will be way too stiff, so at the very least fit a replacement spring to the stock unit
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 am It shouldn't have instabilities or problems with a cross wind, so you need to investigate that before making other mods.

New tyres is a good idea, and also check wheel bearings / steering bearings /rear suspension linkage bearings and wheel alignment.

It's shouldn't need a steering damper unless you have fitted a pretty big spacer or dropped the forks.

Front forks, get the linear springs that are correct for your weight, do the fork mods detailed in the workshop section and fill up to 140mm air gap with 7.5wt oil. Don't know anyone in the uk who has used the valve kits, so can't comment.

At the back, For your weight, the rear Spring will be way too stiff, so at the very least fit a replacement spring to the stock unit
While I agree with Al (AMcQ46) "It shouldn't have instabilities or problems with a cross wind" I will say if you're still used to the weight of your old CBX1000 you may notice a difference to the Superhawk with it being that much lighter and it having a fairing, as the fairing will catch side winds. Even though I would have thought it would need to be strong winds not moderate to catch you out.

I would say carry out what Al has suggested and see how you go from there.
It shouldn't really need a steering damper I agree,

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir, pretty much everything has been covered in the posts for you to check :clap: ... next time/if ever your near NI do call in for a beers :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

ChazMo wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:14 pm Thank you all, very belatedly, for your responses (and sorry for the big delay). My excuses: work, life, etc.

One thing that threw me about this bike was the substantial wander/instability I got last year when riding (with proper tire pressures, albeit on old rubber now being changed) in a rather moderate crosswind- about had to change my undies- and concentrate to stay out of the oncoming lane! That prompted me to consider tweaking the suspension- been planning, reading your posts, etc- including going for a Coerce fork brace. A few questions in such regards:
1) steering damper- have used one in the past & seems like a good idea; like the Hyperpro (tank front) unit, but it is nearly $600 here (damper plus mounting kit)- worth doing?
2) rear damper & spring- I am about 12 stone/168 lbs/76 kilos dressed; what adjustment is best (as a starting point) for the stockers at my weight for (sporty) road use: are they adequate or should I consider changing?
3) do you think Hyperpro fork springs (guess they are progressive) would be suitable, & what rate; or would Race Tech linears (.85) be better?
4) also, should I install Race Tech gold fork valves for only compression or both compression & rebound?
5) finally, a rear shim- 4mm, 6mm (see conflicting comments); or will that only increase the bike's speed/crosswind instability?

Though an experienced rider (since age 8), I am far from a bike suspension guru. THANKS for any info/input you can give.
Hi and welcome :)

1) waste of money, not needed on this bike
2) you need aftermarket shock for sure, on of the most important mods. You can contact Jamie Daugherty on US superhawkforum for reworked fireblade one, or on his site Jamie Daugherty, he is vtr owner and really knows his job. Or get new one, YSS cheaper alternative, Nitron better.
3) Racetech, or Ohlins makes 0.85 linear too, if you get better price
4) compression gold valves with c36 setting, rebound do modification of needle, I did it on two set of forks. Today I would use Jamie Daugherty again and buy his cartridge kit together with springs. Price is not bad, considering price of the parts, amount of work, and you will have perfect tuned suspension. DMr forks

5) 4-6mm is fine, but you need longer stand from another hondas
mdb

Post by mdb »

Welcome. Lots of knowledge on here.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

A belated welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN