This will make the MotoGP race interesting!

Any racing related stuff
lloydie

Re: This will make the MotoGP race interesting!

Post by lloydie »

Good race crap commentary
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

what a race lorenzo did but marquez fked up :eek2
reducing the race to 19 laps!! just because the tyres overheat.....pff
i feel sorry for marquez for messin up but i think they should have let it go as he didnt really do 11 laps...
but what can u do :thumbdown:
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

gabi81 wrote: i feel sorry for marquez for messin up but i think they should have let it go as he didnt really do 11 laps...
They made the rule clear, he'd completed 10 laps not come in and had nearly completed the 11th.

I also think he should be penalised for what happened re joining the track, It was a dangerous move, it doesn't matter if Lorenzo went a little wide that happens often there, Marc should have held wide, he knew they were coming through.

Nothing against Marquez I think he's a great rider but he keeps making mistakes and getting away with it, how long can it last ??
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:
gabi81 wrote: i feel sorry for marquez for messin up but i think they should have let it go as he didnt really do 11 laps...
They made the rule clear, he'd completed 10 laps not come in and had nearly completed the 11th.

I also think he should be penalised for what happened re joining the track, It was a dangerous move, it doesn't matter if Lorenzo went a little wide that happens often there, Marc should have held wide, he knew they were coming through.

Nothing against Marquez I think he's a great rider but he keeps making mistakes and getting away with it, how long can it last ??
+1 on that Popkat. Rules is rules at the end of the day. Tuff tity he made a mistake, live with it & move on.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I think 3 riders in the end were Black Flagged for missing the pit window.

Seemed an overly tough penelty.
Making the Pit Window 3 laps would have been fairer on all.

And I thought the same on Marquez rejoining the track too.
But then watched the footage again and I now see it differently.
He was looking over his shoulder (up the main straight) the whole way down pit exit.... looking for other bikes.... at that point Lorenzo was behind the ridge..... so Marco saw only an empty track, then hit the limiter at the line and took off.
Lorenzo with 290ks onboard came out of no where...... it is the fastest part of the track.
I'm sure Marco would have got a shock when in the blink of an eye Lorenzo was underneath him breaking parts off his bike.

I think all round it was a ass about solution from the officials to counter the track surface issue.
Bikes don't have mirrors and rejoining a race isn't a common thing.

The pit stop made it exciting... but somehow I don't feel I've watch a Grand Prix. Seems a shame to loose all points and waste 3 days riding over an 11th hour rule that has never been seen in MotoGP before.
Even Rossi missed his first pit on lap 9 .... lucky he had another chance

No Pre Race Riders briefing.....
Just a bit of paper handed to each team to explain the pitting.... no chance to ask questions if unclear.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Phillip Island, complete fcuk up from start to finish........ :evil:
No testing from Bridgestone to determine tyre wear before the actual race practice sessions as they had no access to the track apparently........
Compulsory bike change on only 2 possible laps of the race........change bikes once ruling fair enough but leave it to the riders discretion as to when they feel the need to. This is then down to the skill of the rider to make the most of their tyres.
Pit lane full length speed limit was just downright stupid and dangerous (as nearly proved by Lorenzo and Marquez) Would you want to join a motorway at 25 miles an hour? if Marquez could have got up to speed then contact would probably never have happened.
Was Pedrosa really 2nd or 3rd? Even Rossi seemed unsure. I believed that whatever position he FINISHED the race in then he would move back a place, not at some random point DURING the race.
Rant over, soapbox put away. :roll:
Roll on Motegi. :thumbup:
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

I have no sympathy for Marquez or Honda for what was one big rock up.... such a shame ...Not.
Lorenzo rode a great race as did Pedrosa and Rossi. I for one was well happy with the result, getting second and third place on my fantasy league. :beer:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

marc is still a rookie in moto gp and is doing very well and only made a few mistakes so far yes today was a big feck up but it will make the rest of the season fun to watch :thumbup:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Salty Dog wrote:I think 3 riders in the end were Black Flagged for missing the pit window.

He was looking over his shoulder (up the main straight) the whole way down pit exit.... looking for other bikes.... at that point Lorenzo was behind the ridge..... so Marco saw only an empty track, then hit the limiter at the line and took off.
Lorenzo with 290ks onboard came out of no where...... it is the fastest part of the track.
I'm sure Marco would have got a shock when in the blink of an eye Lorenzo was underneath him breaking parts off his bike.

I think all round it was a ass about solution from the officials to counter the track surface issue.

The pit stop made it exciting... but somehow I don't feel I've watch a Grand Prix. Seems a shame to loose all points and waste 3 days riding over an 11th hour rule that has never been seen in MotoGP before.

Just a bit of paper handed to each team to explain the pitting.... no chance to ask questions if unclear.
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Salty Dog wrote:I think 3 riders in the end were Black Flagged for missing the pit window.

Actually, the rules was completely clear... "Can do more than 10 complete laps..." That means he broke the rules... Doesn't matter if he can't count, or if the the team cant read, or whatever went wrong... The rules was clear... But then, I'd actually say the ruling was a bit harsh to go to a black flag... I'd say a ride through penalty would probably have been more appropriate as a first action... Then, like usual, if you ignore that, go to a black flag... You still loose the race, and it still hurts like hell points wise, but it leaves a little drama, with someone trying to catch up and claim as many points as possible, if any...

On the pit exit conundrum... That one is actually even simpler... Marques was at fault, 100%, and should be penalized, no matter if he was black flagged or not... It doesn't matter if you see someone when you enter the track or not... If you have ridden one lap of the track, you know damned well that you come over that rise at speed... So it doesn't take half a brain cell to work out that you go wide, staying off the racing line by a country mile until you are through the first corner, and have seen whom ever is behind you... That's a common rule for all tracks, all categories of racing, be it two wheels or four, that I have taken part in... When you leave the pits, keep out of the way, period... No if's, no butts... At that point, with someone closing on you at race pace, it's not about racing for position, it's about safety, you get out of the way... And you do not, ever, break that rule...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

turbo_billy wrote:Phillip Island, complete fcuk up from start to finish........ :evil:
No testing from Bridgestone to determine tyre wear before the actual race practice sessions as they had no access to the track apparently........
Compulsory bike change on only 2 possible laps of the race........change bikes once ruling fair enough but leave it to the riders discretion as to when they feel the need to. This is then down to the skill of the rider to make the most of their tyres.
Pit lane full length speed limit was just downright stupid and dangerous (as nearly proved by Lorenzo and Marquez) Would you want to join a motorway at 25 miles an hour? if Marquez could have got up to speed then contact would probably never have happened.
Was Pedrosa really 2nd or 3rd? Even Rossi seemed unsure. I believed that whatever position he FINISHED the race in then he would move back a place, not at some random point DURING the race.
Rant over, soapbox put away. :roll:
Roll on Motegi. :thumbup:
Extending the pit lane speed limit seems like an odd move, I'll give you that... It just added another level of confusion, as the riders was already used to another point, which DanPed and Cal proved beyond any doubt... Plus I really doubt it added any additional safety at all, at least on entry, since the pit speed limit is still the same, meaning the only thing you accomplish is a shorter slowdown from the race pace... I think, like with breaking other safety rules, like the 10 lap maximum, it would be more fair with a ride though penalty, as it is pretty unclear if he "surrendered" a place, or simply was overtaken... If he had clearly gone off the race line, waving Marquez by, then perhaps it would have been clear cut, but the rule is still not a good rule...

But given that... No, there is no way on earth that Marquez could ever have "gotten up to speed" in any way that it would have mattered in that collision, regardless of where the pit safety zone ended... You simply can't enter the corner at the full speed of the bike having accelerated the whole straight, coming of the pit lane... Nor would you want to, on semi-warm tires, having ridden the length of the pit lane (actual pit lane, not the safety zone), after coming of the tire warmers... If he by some act of god, could have managed that feat, he would have visited the gravel trap at the outside of that turn instead of bouncing of Lorenzo, since he would have no chance of holding the bike on track with limited heat and grip in his tires...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

the tyre manifacturer wants there butt kicking, are you telling me nobody has done 12 laps this year and said " oh dear my tyre is a bit worn"
if they cant make a tyres that can do full race distance try some bugger else!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:the tyre manifacturer wants there butt kicking, are you telling me nobody has done 12 laps this year and said " oh dear my tyre is a bit worn"
if they cant make a tyres that can do full race distance try some bugger else!!!
So, if you don't buy their tyres, they might get the message.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

The tyre issue is not clear cut, it wasn't just Bridgestone, the Dunlops on the moto2 bikes had problems too and that race was shortened (no bike swap as they only have one bike) I don't think there was any testing at the track before the race so the tyre companies had to make an educated guess with as much info as possible about the new track surface.

They can't stop buying the tyres, no-one else makes tyres for these bikes.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
darkember

Post by darkember »

The black flag was a dumb idea & a drive through would have been better but how to relay that to the rider could be a challenge especially as Marquez could not read his pit boards correctly to pit at the correct time.

The incident out of the pits was by far a more serious affair. Moving onto the racing line as lower speeds is suicide, it reminded me of the Marco incident as we all know ended horribly.