This will make the MotoGP race interesting!

Any racing related stuff
Tweety

Re: This will make the MotoGP race interesting!

Post by Tweety »

popkat wrote:The tyre issue is not clear cut, it wasn't just Bridgestone, the Dunlops on the moto2 bikes had problems too and that race was shortened (no bike swap as they only have one bike) I don't think there was any testing at the track before the race so the tyre companies had to make an educated guess with as much info as possible about the new track surface.

They can't stop buying the tyres, no-one else makes tyres for these bikes.
Agreed... It was crap, but you can't really blame the tyre manufacturers all the way, since they where given no opportunity to test... Apparently the tire manufacturers have called for a rule change, which now mandates such a test, on new track surface, just like on a new track... Meaning that no such rule existed in the first place, which is damned stupid...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Tweety wrote:On the pit exit conundrum... That one is actually even simpler... Marques was at fault, 100%, and should be penalized, no matter if he was black flagged or not... It doesn't matter if you see someone when you enter the track or not... If you have ridden one lap of the track, you know damned well that you come over that rise at speed... So it doesn't take half a brain cell to work out that you go wide, staying off the racing line by a country mile until you are through the first corner, and have seen whom ever is behind you... That's a common rule for all tracks, all categories of racing, be it two wheels or four, that I have taken part in... When you leave the pits, keep out of the way, period... No if's, no butts... At that point, with someone closing on you at race pace, it's not about racing for position, it's about safety, you get out of the way... And you do not, ever, break that rule...
Yeah, i've riden many laps of that track, was over 15 years ago though. Looking back at the replay, many other riders took the same line when existing Pit Lane into Turn 1.... As its all part of setting up for the double apex of the Southern Loop.
Sure he could have kept left until at speed. When i watched it during the race, i was outraged, but after watching it again and again, it doesn't seem to be a malicious tactic.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Malicious No, reckless Yes.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Just watched the ariel replay again...
Marquez never crossed the white line that runs out of pit lane exit, there is no noticeable "Move Over"...but as you say, he could have kept more left.... it was just a racing incident the way i see it now. Unless perhaps one planned in advance??? Maybe this was the 93 Team tactic with the late Pit Stop and exit idea?? He may also have thought i'm clear and i'll make that space?? Who knows.
Careless... maybe, but this is racing, not riding on the road.
Looking at others that exit pit lane, most lines looked about the same, apart from some guy that hangs right out on the white line on the 2nd last lap??

Sure was an unnecessary turn of events though, as Jlo was committed at that point, he must have been shitting himself at what line Marco was going to take.
Then half a lap later Jlo puts his hand up for rain...... Geez.

Mmmmmm maybe he did catch a glimpse?

Oh well, its going to be an interesting final 2 races now.
I hope it comes down to 3 Spanish Riders fighting it out in Spain on the last race.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

This is what Lorenzo had to say about the incident, in his own words:
"I braked too late and Marc was coming out of the pit lane so we touched and we were lucky to avoid crashing. We were both at fault. He did not look who was coming, but it was 50/50. The one who is already on track should have the priority. I don’t know exactly what happened to Marc today, if it was a mistake from him or his team, or whether he did not see the pit board."

Marco had to say:
"The plan we had was not correct, we though that we could do that lap. We thought we could go into the pit at the end of lap 11. The problem was not with the pit board, that was fine, when I saw ‘Box’ I came in. Now we need to forget about it and just concentrate in Motegi."
And this is what Marco's 10 lap rated tire looks like after doing 11 laps (no wonder it was letting go the lap prior)

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Moto Gp ''fiasco'' quote of the day...

''Gresini's Bryan Staring made the same error as Marquez and was also disqualified, while Colin Edwards tweeted: "Not happy with the [Marc Marquez black flag] decision. First time running this scenario & disqualified. We r not mathematicians... let us race & F off." ''

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Spot On!!!!!

Maybe Dorna are going to ride all the bikes next week
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

MacV2 wrote:Moto Gp ''fiasco'' quote of the day...

''Gresini's Bryan Staring made the same error as Marquez and was also disqualified, while Colin Edwards tweeted: "Not happy with the [Marc Marquez black flag] decision. First time running this scenario & disqualified. We r not mathematicians... let us race & F off." ''

You`ve got to love Colin Edwards, Motogp voice of reason...... :clap: :clap: :clap: :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What a fiasco that was. Personally if you have to have bikes pitting you most definitely need pit to rider radio contact in my opinion.

Also I was sure there was going to be a big collision between two riders leaving the pits together, thankfully that never happened.

Chris.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

MacV2 wrote:Moto Gp ''fiasco'' quote of the day...

I actually support that... BUT... The rules was the same for all... They where clear... The riders, while mathematicians or not could certainly understand them, and knowing they where ballpark close, can certainly look for "Box" on their pit board... I have missed a pit signal of that type once in 20 years, and was black flagged for it... I didn't like it much, but it was fair...

Total cluster wombles on the whole... But not possible to blame Dorna or tire manufacturers entirely and solely, there was a lot wrong, and lot's of people partially at blame...

And the riders getting black flagged should take their blame as well... I could count to ten laps going full tilt, knowing it was a rule, and I'd get black flagged... So why can't they?
playerone

Post by playerone »

I believe Marquez said that as long as they didn't cross the line they were technically still on their 10th lap and that's the way Honda planned to do it, so it was down to Honda's strategy, he came in when instructed to do so
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

playerone wrote:I believe Marquez said that as long as they didn't cross the line they were technically still on their 10th lap and that's the way Honda planned to do it, so it was down to Honda's strategy, he came in when instructed to do so
Well, the instructions quoted on a few places said word by word, "no more than ten completed laps"... And no, ten completed laps, plus one started isn't ten laps...
playerone

Post by playerone »

Like most professional sports they were no doubt trying to bends the rules to suit, was a big gamble that backfired. Still wouldn't like to be the guy who came up with the suggestion...
Virt

Post by Virt »

Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

playerone wrote:I believe Marquez said that as long as they didn't cross the line they were technically still on their 10th lap and that's the way Honda planned to do it, so it was down to Honda's strategy, he came in when instructed to do so
Yes, that is the excuse they used.

A strange logic that I don't really grasp myself.
But apparently 2 other teams saw it the same way.

Personally, when you start on the grid, do a lap and cross the start/finish line..... that's 1 lap to me.
Everyone starts behind the line.
And when you cross the line, you are on your first lap. Which is then completed by crossing the Start/Finish line, at which point, you are now on your second lap.

Their argument was, as their pits are before the Start/Finish line, they have not technically completed the lap.
Which made no sense to me. As they had already completed their 10th lap and started their 11th lap.

Maybe they were using the "Baby Age" logic, where a new born is Zero until they turn 1, and 1 until they turn 2??

I can see how it could be ambiguous, but....

Using their logic, I wonder how many laps they'd do on a 26 Lap race?

I thought for a second he was going to pull over on the main straight wall outside his pit with a fake bike fault and climb the wall and run to his second bike.