Suzuka Eight Hours

Any racing related stuff
8541Hawk

Suzuka Eight Hours

Post by 8541Hawk »

http://superbikeplanet.com/2013/Jul/130728a.htm

In what can only be described as the feel good podium of the year, racing notables Leon Haslam, Michael van der Mark, Josh Brookes, Yuki Kagayama, Nori Haga and 1993 world champion Kevin Schwantz featured on the 2013 Suzuka 8 Hours podium.

The race was won by the Honda team comprised of Haslam ("broken leg Leon") and Suzuka rookie Michael van der Mark. Second place was a Suzuki team of Josh Brookes, Nobu Aoki and Taka Tsuda.

Third place was taken by the hugely popular Yukio Kagayama, Nori Haga and '93 champ and legend Schwantz.

2012 winner Jon Rea and Ryuichi Kiyonari's squad was taken out with a crash, as was the BMW with American Jason Pridmore on the team.

Schwantz said in a brief phone call this morning, "It was a really good effort by Team Kagayama Suzuki. All the riders did their jobs, the crew was flawless and the Dunlop tires worked great. We made no real big mistakes in the race which was key. We had some really fast teams behind us but we were able to hold them off and take third. Nori and Kagayama each did two stints and I did one. Our pit stops were great--it was testament to a really good endurance racing effort."

"We felt that we had a shot to be on the podium and achieved that. I'm just so happy I can't tell you," Schwantz said.

Schwantz, as a sign of respect for his old rival Wayne Rainey, wore a Rainey edition Shoei helmet in the race.

"In the press conference the press officer personally thanked me for my participation in the event and on that note all the journalists in the room stood up and applauded. He then also noted the increase in ticket sales my attendance generated. I asked, 'What's your question?' and he said he didn't have one but that there was a lot more interest in the race this year and ticket sales were way up and it was no question because of my participation in the race."

Schwantz said the weather forecasting ability of the local Japanese weathermen stunned him. "They said it was going to start raining at 7:00 PM. Just cut and dry--7:00. And we were watching the race on the screen which had the time on it and at 6:59—wouldn't you know it—it began to rain. I looked out the garage door at 7:00 and it really started raining. Unbelievable."

Schwantz was sitting in Team Kagayama Suzuki hospitality when he signed off, but said he thought that the team would make a run to the infamous Log Cabin bar at Suzuka "for old time's sake" later tonight.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Suzuka Eight Hours

Post by sirch345 »

WOW that's amazing :clap: Cheers for posting Hawk :thumbup:
Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember Schwantz starting out, a very popular guy, and supported by the late Barry Sheene.

Chris.
AMCQ46

Re: Suzuka Eight Hours

Post by AMCQ46 »

Haslams rain riding brought his team back into contention...........bloody impressive for someone recovering from a broken leg

and as for Schawantz.........to even do 1 stint at Suzuka 8hr is very impressive for some one of his [my] age.....if you watched the TT legends you can see the state McGuinnes & Cam Donald were in after each stint on the bike, and they race endurance wvery few weeks!
AMcQ