How can I get exhaust tested?

Any racing related stuff
Keith

How can I get exhaust tested?

Post by Keith »

Hi chaps, not sure where to ask this so hopefully in the right section.

Next month I have got a track day coming up at Darley Moor. But I may have a little problem concerning the volume of my exhausts. To quieten them up I have already put in some long aftermarket baffles (Bike never came with them) into my Quill cans but feel they may still be too loud. Is there a way that I can get the volume tested before going all the way up to the track just to be informed I am too loud to run?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Keith
lloydie

Re: How can I get exhaust tested?

Post by lloydie »

Nip down to the track and ask them to test it .
Virt

Post by Virt »

Could always locate a friend (assuming you have some :lol: :wink:), hold the bike at 5000rpm (or there abouts, usually) and have them drop the decibel reader behind the bike. It's passing noise that matters, you'll almost definitely fail on a lot of bikes if you just held it behind :lol: :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/decibel ... 55923?mt=8
Decibel 10th turns your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch into a professional sound meter, precisely measures the sound pressure level all around you. This extremely useful and beautiful tool will not only be a great tool for many uses but also bring you a lot of fun. Have you wondered how loud your rip-roaring farts are? or how loud is a rock concert or sport event?
Silverline Sound Level Meter > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-So ... 231ff82cb1
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Keith

Post by Keith »

I never realised how cheap the meters were so thanks to Wickys link I have one on order now. :D After further searching it seems that the test is done statically by a decibel meter held at 45degrees from outlet and half a meter away. For our bikes (Twins over 750cc) Virt is right that the engine has to be at 5000 rpm. The other test is the ride by test usually by someone at side of track. Still can't find clear enough info about the ride by test though.
I would have asked someone to hold the meter for me while I revved it but I don't have any mates. Well I did... but it was the voices made me do it! Honest!! :Argue 1: :Argue 1: :crazy: :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

:wink:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Make sure you in an open space for an accurate reading. Don't go doing it inside a tunnel or down an ally or something or the sound will rebound everywhere. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

Also make sure the bikes nice and hot, you'll get a higher reading if it's not. I don't mean just warmed up on the temp gauge, that's just water, you need to get the oil temp up too, A 5 mile ride would do it or leaving it running for 10 mins should do it, but keep an eye on the temp gauge.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You also need to consider the packing unless it's been done fairly recently some will be missing. It will have a greater effect on the sound than just putting baffles in.

I got packing from... http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/

Great service, phone them up to discus & order, I received a package with in two days... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Keith

Post by Keith »

MacV2 wrote:You also need to consider the packing unless it's been done fairly recently some will be missing. It will have a greater effect on the sound than just putting baffles in.

I got packing from... http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/

Great service, phone them up to discus & order, I received a package with in two days... :thumbup:
I am beginning to think that they may need repacking as even with the baffles in they are loud. Without the baffles out the local villagers come running after me with their pitchforks. Just lucky for me that the V-twin music puts them into a trance long enough to allow me to make my escape.

Still waiting for the meter to turn up but really its a no brainer, so I will order in some more packing now. :thumbup: :lol: