GOAT

Any racing related stuff
Kev L

GOAT

Post by Kev L »

In anticipation of the new season starting in all the championships (excluding the false start in WSB!) who do you rate as the greatest of all time rider? Top three suggestions with arguments in their favour will do.
I will kick off with -
1) Giacomo Agostini, rode the best bike for a long time but hell of a rider, and competed at the IoM.
2) Mike Hailwood, had a brilliant career racing bikes, f*cked off, raced cars, came back and won on bikes, again. Dude.
3) Valentino Rossi, brilliant in all classes he's competed in, a character amongst robots. Now probably past his sell by, but we can live in hope.

Anyway that's my humble attempt, what's yours?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
seb421

Re: GOAT

Post by seb421 »

i've watched old races but never had the pleasure to watch Mike the bike or Ago and follow there career in detail as i have been able to with Rossi

All three are in there own era's the greatest i know ago and mike lapped over a littel but what ever you know what i mean

i have both Giacomo and Valentiono down as baby names along with others, for when its not just another fire drill for the millions at the sperm race, who ever wins it deserves a racers name init!

might publish my list in another thread lol

Any way back on topic sadly i cannot give a analysed impartial review on hailwood or ago tho my dad would if i asked him

Rossi yes he's seen better days now time wasted at ducati was critical, Lorenzo and Pedrosa and Stoner was pushing each other to new found limits and he missed out,

and sadly Rossi was off the pace again at the new circuit that no one had ridden before in Texas, Marquez left them all in his wake

Yamaha was quoted as saying we need that Honda corner exit power yet again
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I find it hard to pick one rider to be the greatest of all times. Riders who were top of their game from different era's I feel can't be compared to each other as such IMHO. The reason I say that is that many things will have changed as times goes on, including technology in the bikes, tyres and even track surfaces. Only my opinion I know.

From the riders I've grown up with I'd have to mention Joey Dunlop, having met him in person and watched him race at the IOM TT, again a different place than the road racing circuits. For circuit racing in my time I'd have to say Rossi is the greatest.

Peter Collins a Speedway rider would have to get a mention too, showing my age now I know :)

There are bound to be many others who should get mention I know, but those three sprung to my mind first.

Chris.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

John Surtees, only man to be World champion on two and four wheels.

Also a thoroughly nice chap, many years ago my mate and I were at a test day at Brands, the exhaust split on his bike, we tried to get the car race teams to weld it even offering ready cash :eek2

We had noticed a little old bloke in a tatty van with a very old grey bike, I knew him from somewhere but couldnt place him. After a while he came over and asked what was wrong. He then took the exhaust from us and headed off to the car guys, a few minutes later back he came with the pipe beautifully welded! Looked really embarrassed when we tried to offer him the money..

:beer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Surtees

JOHN SURTEES' FACTFILE

Born February 11, 1934, Surrey, England
Lives Surrey, England, with wife Jane and their three children
Current occupation Director, own property development company and motor sports consultant
Raced 1951-1972
Motorcycle Race Record (1951-60)

Started: 348
Won: 255 (including 38 GPs)
Other podium finishes: 49
Fastest laps: 14
Record laps: 90
Championships: 1956 500cc World Champion, 1958 350cc and 500cc World Champion, 1959 350cc and 500cc World Champion, 1960 350cc and 500cc World Champion
F1 World Championship Race Record (1960-72) Started: 111 Won: 6
Other podium finishes: 18
Pole positions: 8
Fastest laps: 10
Record laps: 1
Championships: 1964 World Champion
Sports Car Race Record (inc Endurance and Can-Am Races) Started: 62
Won: 13
Other podium finishes: 14
Pole positions: 13
Fastest laps: 14
Record laps: 4
Championships: 1966 Can-Am Champion
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

George Shuttleworth.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...