Mopedathon May 22nd

General Biker Banter
Beef

Mopedathon May 22nd

Post by Beef »

This years ‘Mopedathon’ will be held on 22nd May at RAF Odiham.
It’s a Charity event comprising of teams of (minimum) 4 people and a scooter 50cc 2 stroke or (up to) 90cc 4 stroke. The scooter MUST have been road legal at some point - so no pit bikes or race bikes. The engine must be able to be switched off by key or switch (eg no pulling HT lead off)

More details at www.OMCC.co.uk

I have a full team, but there must be enough interest on here to get a bike & team together. I know Tony was up for this last time.
freeridenick

Re: Mopedathon May 22nd

Post by freeridenick »

I'm interested. Not sure I have the time to source and 'prep' a bike though.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

"The event is a six-hour endurance event. However, we do not time or count laps and it is strictly not a ‘race’."
How does that work?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

It’s more a war of attrition! :lol:
The amount of bikes that start but don’t finish is quite high.
Reasoning the laps aren’t timed or counted is because making it a ‘race’ makes massive implications on the event insurance. No different than when the club runs an Airfield Riding Day (ARD)
That doesn’t mean you don’t ride like you stole it and push to get passed the guy in front of you! :twisted:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 pm "The event is a six-hour endurance event. However, we do not time or count laps and it is strictly not a ‘race’."
How does that work?
you interested Tony? do you know of a C90 wrecker anywhere?
AMcQ
Beef

Post by Beef »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:24 pm you interested Tony? do you know of a C90 wrecker anywhere?
Have you seen what C90's go for these days - even a box of bits is enough to give you a heart attack :eek2 I remember finding them down the woods when I was a kid, I bet you'll be lucky to get one under a grand :confused
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

My son had one when he was a lad,he took the fairing off ,tied it to the back and he used to sit his mate in it and tow him round the field near where we lived. :lol:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

shame that pitbikes are not allowed. I have one on 12" slicks that can survive a few crashes
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The fact it’s a 160cc is a bonus
AMcQ
Beef

Post by Beef »

That's a no unfortunately, but I can imagine it would be a scream - right up until the old man joints started complaining :lol: :lol: :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Beef wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm That's a no unfortunately, but I can imagine it would be a scream - right up until the old man joints started complaining :lol: :lol: :lol:
i am that old man already! .... Thankfully this one is not that small, I made a point of getting one of the bigger frames that is legal for the BMB racing format.
011.JPG
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Can't join in this time round, just blowing the spare bike bits fund on some ASV C5 levers for the Tuono. The dual colour silver and black option, I think.

But my money would be on a c90, they're easy to tune and will take a 22mm carb, if you don't mind that it won't tick over. A reverse cone mega, and an oiled cone speedway/grass track air filter, then all you need is a high lift cam- it will fly.
Plus, they take a crash well, all you need is a spare brake lever and a spare set of footrests.

Re the cam, I could probably convince Newman Cams to grind a standard one by dropping the base circle, leaving the hardened lobes alone. It'd wear over time, but would last ok for a six hour race.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:07 pm
Beef wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm That's a no unfortunately, but I can imagine it would be a scream - right up until the old man joints started complaining :lol: :lol: :lol:
i am that old man already! .... Thankfully this one is not that small, I made a point of getting one of the bigger frames that is legal for the BMB racing format.
011.JPG
that looks fun - I assume you're about to lap those two? :lol: :lol:
tony.mon wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:20 pm Can't join in this time round, just blowing the spare bike bits fund on some ASV C5 levers for the Tuono. The dual colour silver and black option, I think.
Well with a team of 4, its only £25 each for entry plus your bike and a bit of fuel! :D