Damm!

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Damm!

Post by MacV2 »

Back to bloody work this morn & it's raining of course! :(
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Re: Damm!

Post by fabiostar »

yeah i was back on early shift aswell. not pretty i have to say :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

being in a meeting at 8am made me feel like I had jet lag!!!!

me no like :(
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Custurd showed me his disproval of being made to be out in the rain on the way home...

I'd stopped for fuel then splashed my way down the A2...

Just coming off the A2 down on to the slip road, It felt sluggish..no poping or banging, still had both clocks...when my R/R went the speedo stopped working before it finaly stopped. This felt different, still had some go just not much.

I closed the throttle & it cut out... :(

Coasted to a stop just about under a bridge...

Thinking this aint good. Still a good 12 miles to home & thats a long push... :lol:

So I thought maybe it's an air lock, so popped the cap open but didn't hear any rush of air...

Let it stand for a couple of mins, thinking maybe its just got some water in the leccy bits & the heat soak will dry it out a bit...

Pressed the starter it fired up, reved up OK. Clicked it in gear & rode off, back to full power as if nothing had happend... :confused

So got home let it cool off a bit & sprayed some GT85 on the plug cap & lead, it was coming out of the weep hole so thats not blocked...

Must of been an air lock... I do fill it right up & did once have it happen on Ole Red but that was a hot summers day & when it happend it was coughing & spluttering befor the final cut out... There was a deff rush of air when I popped the cap that day + that was not far from filling up, today was a good 10+ miles from the fill...

Stil I got home in the end, bit damp & the good news it's the same shite tomorrow... :lol: :lol:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

I was back to work at 05:40 today - I'm really lucky, I love my work! One of the fortunate ones indeed 🙂
Insufferable halfwit.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I dropped to four days a week as of Jan 21, no longer working Mondays.
But got a call Friday, can you work Monday, got a care package that needs sorting before we can start, so, ok, I'll work today.

Talk about starting as you mean to go on!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Mac,
100% sounds like an Airlock to me.......... any time you loose power up to 5 mins after a petrol stop, its a petrol tank breather Airlock issue.

I had the same thing on the way to the Irish meeting 2 years ago. Was riding up to Holyhead ferry with Tony Mon in a total deluge, we stopped for a fill up and a coffee break as we were running early, and once I was back on the dual carriageway about 2 miles up the road, it just started to lose power and go down to 1 cyl. Luckily it wasn't busy and I was able to get the bike across from fast lane to the hard shoulder, and as I had had exactly these symptoms, once, 10 years ago, I didnt need to faff around trying to diagnose it in the rain. Tank bag off, open filler cap, tank bag back on, start bike and away we go :D

the 1st time it happened I nearly had the bike in bits trying to find the problem, I was sure it was sparks as it was the rear cyl that was not working. I couldn't find anything, so I just rode the bike on 1 cyl and tried to make my way home. After 10 miles, it started to come back to life and I got home OK.

a bit of internet searching identified that it could have been a tank airlock, after filling the bike up to the brim and then letting it sit in the sun to build up pressure. the reason the rear cyl is effected is because the rear carb is higher, so it runs out of fuel before the front float bowl runs empty.

but it never did it again for me to prove the theory .... till that wet morning on the A5 in Wales, and the theory was correct :D
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Well it was ok today despite more rain... :lol:

Yeah must of been air lock. As said it was the first thing I did, pop the cap open but this was a good 10+ miles after the fill & it's not like it's high heat at the mo making it expand in the tank...

Next chance I get I will blow the vent line through make sure thats not blocked... :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

As it was raining, all you need to do is pull a drop of water into the vent line and the trouble begins.

When these bikes were new the problem was caused by the vent line being too long and thereby creating a low spot for the water to collect.

Make sure the vent line has a straight run and is clear and you should have no more problems :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It wont be an issue tomorrow despite the prommised rain...as work have finaly cottened on the the fact that sending us to 60+ houses a week, could be a bit of an issue re covid.

So no work for me tommorow... :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:57 am Mac,
100% sounds like an Airlock to me.......... any time you loose power up to 5 mins after a petrol stop, its a petrol tank breather Airlock issue.

I had the same thing on the way to the Irish meeting 2 years ago. Was riding up to Holyhead ferry with Tony Mon in a total deluge, we stopped for a fill up and a coffee break as we were running early, and once I was back on the dual carriageway about 2 miles up the road, it just started to lose power and go down to 1 cyl. Luckily it wasn't busy and I was able to get the bike across from fast lane to the hard shoulder, and as I had had exactly these symptoms, once, 10 years ago, I didnt need to faff around trying to diagnose it in the rain. Tank bag off, open filler cap, tank bag back on, start bike and away we go :D

the 1st time it happened I nearly had the bike in bits trying to find the problem, I was sure it was sparks as it was the rear cyl that was not working. I couldn't find anything, so I just rode the bike on 1 cyl and tried to make my way home. After 10 miles, it started to come back to life and I got home OK.

a bit of internet searching identified that it could have been a tank airlock, after filling the bike up to the brim and then letting it sit in the sun to build up pressure. the reason the rear cyl is effected is because the rear carb is higher, so it runs out of fuel before the front float bowl runs empty.

but it never did it again for me to prove the theory .... till that wet morning on the A5 in Wales, and the theory was correct :D
I remember that day, it was one of the only times I managed to overtake you, you bu gger...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.