R/R question sorry

General Biker Banter
vipfto

R/R question sorry

Post by vipfto »

Sorry to bring up old stuff for you guys but just to confirm couple of things, my firestorm will be ready for collection in two weeks I really dislike the slow processes here in Japan,!! it is completely factory 02 model.

Are the R/R different on those models or should I replace with later version with cooling fins or are they dodgy too and go the R1 mod?
I will order manual ccts and replace if required.
Also in regards to changing cans I assume need to replace links pipe to fit slip on cans?
However I am undecided if I change or debaffle factory ones. They are around 40000 Yen or 280 ish pounds for a full header and mori or yoshi system here although used

Thanks for any advice
:beer:
Wicky

Re: R/R question sorry

Post by Wicky »

Early models 97-01 are very prone self cooking, later ones 01-05 came with upgraded finned R/Rs but better still...

Fit a mosfet FH020A as fitted to some Yamahas

MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How > https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/k ... how-25117/

GEN III UPDATE 13 MAY 19 Superhawk MOSFET RR Kit from Erik in US > https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/c ... 0-a-34792/

Mosfet fitted > viewtopic.php?p=351482#p351482

Yes you'll need suitable link pipes between the header and aftermarket cans (high or lower mount to suit the style you want)

i.e. Aftermarket cans with low mount link pipes etc.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Wicky wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:57 am i.e. Aftermarket cans with low mount link pipes etc.

Those are my old Microns!!! :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

They must have travelled! I bought them originally secondhand from nr Bishops Stortford / Gt Dunmow way sometime around 2001.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

firestorm_al wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:04 pm
Those are my old Microns!!! :thumbup:
Funny! :lol:

Really is amazing how so many bits and pieces get 'recycled' amongst members!
vipfto

Post by vipfto »

great help thanks guys, its a 02 so should have some cooling fins but will replace anyway.

now to search for some link pipes, didnt seem to be any on yahoo auctions and too pricey to buy from ebay with shipping to Japan.
I will hunt around some bike shops before i decide to debaffle change cans or go full system

:thumbup:
vipfto

Post by vipfto »

So the bike is on std honda cct
I have ordered manual ones. Can install myself but shop quoted me ¥16000 or about £115 saves me a few hours and I don't have a garage, so will be doing it on the driveway, do you guys think it's decent price?
I am probably the white guy they have ever sold a bike to and most likely think I'll bring more customers.
As I feel it's cheap although labor costs are generally lower here.
Broke down was £20 for the rear and £95 for the front
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Be careful.
With most bikes, you just pull out the old one and install the new one.
With storm engines you have to workout the engine is in the correct position before you remove one.
Ask them how they will find the right point to install them....if they plan to do them both without setting the crank to the right point, do it yourself.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.