Second bike opinion

General Biker Banter
SmileyVTR

Second bike opinion

Post by SmileyVTR »

OK, doing my own head in with options, any real-life opinions would be appreciated.

Fortunate enough to have sold my house so want to spend up to £10k on a second bike.
IN LOVE with my Storm, keeping her, but fancy something sporty I should ride before I die :D
Could considering running 1 for a year then swap, maybe several times...being honest I can see myself ending with a blade before finally a GS when back and wrists give up!
I'm 47, small & light, doubt I'd use brain-numbing acceleration or top speed, just fast fun riding and LURVLY flicky corners...

GSXR750 (£6.5k, 2015, 2k miles) - great reputation, greater power that Storm if need to rev hard
KTM RC8 (£8.5k, 2011, 7k miles) - v twin beast, bit unreliable?
Speed Triple 1050R (£9k, 2018, 2k miles) - triple, British, great rep, but upright (am I ready for that?)
Fireblade (either 2016, £8k, 3k miles; or 2016 SP, £10k, 3k miles; or 2018 std, £9.5k, 5k miles) - amazing, beautiful, Honda, lovely for an IL4
Tuono? (I'm just not bought on the front look, looks like a locust!)

Yes I've considered an SP1 or SP2, but with an old Storm fancy something newer (i think...)

Argh!!! Cheers
Last edited by SmileyVTR on Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varastorm

Re: Second bike opinion

Post by Varastorm »

If I was smaller I'd opt for a SP1/2. They're Classics & when you move on hopefully minimal depreciation.

That's if you don't pay crazy monies.

Good luck :thumbup:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Of those options I'd go for the Street Triple, you could get a new-ish R for £8K, lovely bike and bit different. - 2019, 2000 miles (765, fast, light):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stre ... SweateWkJM
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Yep if they were my choices I would have the street triple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

If I could fit on one the street triple, but add the ktm super Duke onto that list too.
Go try a supermoto, hard to keep up with in the bends.and possible to just keep your license.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Just to say my mate has bought a SuperDuke and is, so far, over the moon with it. Blistering performance, but easy to ride if you want to pootle, well his assessment anyway
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

go get a ride on a few big supermotos. just pure fun machines and when you sell it theres always plenty of ex sports bikes riders with sore wrists looking them :thumbup:

pounds per bhp get a ride on a dorsoduro 1200. complete mental things and 5/6k gets you one as good as new
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Street triple r 765,light,torquey,powerful,and you can use most of the power,most of the time.And with the right exhaust,sound great. :biggrin
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Thanks guys

Did consider BMW but overall I think the 765 triple is leading.
Scarily having looked at reviews I'm even considering a new one which seems to have an improved torque engine.

I'm only 5ft8 and 10st so would fit me well (although I LOVE the speed triple single swing arm and I will miss the grunt of a larger engine, like the Storm) and for road riding should offer everything I need.

Next steps insurance quote and once able arrange a test ride
Last edited by SmileyVTR on Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Take it from me,I had a 1050 speed triple,and a 675 street triple after.I didn't miss the torque of the 1050.The light weight of the 675 made up for it.And the 765,is much,much more.You won't be disappointed.
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Update: After a small test ride I opted for the Street Triple (went for the black because they offered £700 of free accessories...oh, and it matched my helmet, so effectively saved for a further £400, lol).
Now put 700 miles on it and OMG it's just amazing. The shifter/blipper is so useful, engine is smooth and linear, handling is incredible - and no more aching wrists after 30 minutes.
Still use the Storm for 2-up riding (or the odd spirited commute just to keep the cobwebs away) but it does make riding the Storm fell rather old school, a lot more clunky, rattly and harder effort to turn at any speed. HOWEVER that engine breaking and exhaust rumble cannot be replaced, it's gorgeous!! Today coming into Matlock Bath the run-off sound turned heads whereas the ST wouldn't have.

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

SmileyVTR wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:54 pm Update: After a small test ride I opted for the Street Triple (went for the black because they offered £700 of free accessories...oh, and it matched my helmet, so effectively saved for a further £400, lol).
Now put 700 miles on it and OMG it's just amazing. The shifter/blipper is so useful, engine is smooth and linear, handling is incredible - and no more aching wrists after 30 minutes.
Still use the Storm for 2-up riding (or the odd spirited commute just to keep the cobwebs away) but it does make riding the Storm fell rather old school, a lot more clunky, rattly and harder effort to turn at any speed. HOWEVER that engine breaking and exhaust rumble cannot be replaced, it's gorgeous!! Today coming into Matlock Bath the run-off sound turned heads whereas the ST wouldn't have.

Really pleased it's all working out for you.
And it's yellow so of course it turned heads 🤣👍
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Great purchase and great bike. I have the Daytona version and am always impressed by the rideability of it. They're a nice alternative to the bigger, heavier bikes.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Really pleased it's all working out for you.
And it's yellow so of course it turned heads 🤣👍
Yeah it will do, people turning round to be... :sick:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...