Electric hookup

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Electric hookup

Post by freeridenick »

Any thoughts on wiring up a hook up in a trailer? From what I've read I need a leisure battery, breaker box, 16amp socket and some wire and switches. All I want to do is power some lights and charge my phone.
grumpyfrog

Re: Electric hookup

Post by grumpyfrog »

Is your trailer going to be disconnect from the motor at this stage. If not, I just got an Inverter with socket, the one I have also had USB ports, and wired it from the main battery. Use low usage Led lights. I've never had any issue but never really had it on more than a few hrs.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

grumpyfrog wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 pm Is your trailer going to be disconnect from the motor at this stage. If not, I just got an Inverter with socket, the one I have also had USB ports, and wired it from the main battery. Use low usage Led lights. I've never had any issue but never really had it on more than a few hrs.
Yes, it'll be standalone.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

In that case, yes you will need a leisure battery, but I am sure you will also need twin electrics wiring from car to trailer to charge it on the move. If your only using it a couple of times a year, I would just have battery wired up in car, or just charge at home, and move it into trailer when you use it.
Re the lights there are some great rechargeable ones out there that will easily give 12 hrs use. Then powerbank for phones etc. Just for alternative set up.
I'd still have the inverter as I cant live without coffee, so kettle goes everywhere in the van.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I might stick with the battery and charge from home then. I'll only be using it for a couple of nights at most and I'll have a generator with me so could top it up from that when the tyre warmers are running.

I've got some LED strip to go in for lighting. They're 12V so a straight connection. The breaker, and socket etc were just for versatility.