Things I've learned from long distance riding

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Things I've learned from long distance riding

Post by freeridenick »

If you followed my request for info on what spares folks take you'll know I've been on a bit of a road trip over the last week or so. Finally made it back home on Sunday after a couple of thousand miles in five days - five day MTB break in the middle. Day 1 Manchester to Brussles 500miles; Day 2 Brussels to Augsburg 450miles; Day 3 Augsburg to Nauders something like 200miles; Day 4 Nauders to Herve 480miles; Day 5 back home 300miles

So, what have I learned?
  1. The Ardennes region is beautiful, the west of Germany to the south is pretty nice too.
  • Anything under 100mph on the Autobahn is slow. At UK motorway speeds you're just in the way.
  • If there's not an Audi or Bemmer or any other car in your left mirror when you're in lane one there will be when you look an instant later. More often than I liked I saw someone going away from me before I'd realised they were coming up behind.
  • The VFR800 5th gen is not a comfortable bike for me. Too little leg room.
  • No matter how comfortable your kit feels it'll be agony after ten hours in the saddle. Side note: I was in one-piece leathers :roll: .
  • Ten hours in the saddle is too long: when Google Maps says eight to ten hours it means eight to ten hours at 140kph.
  • All German Autobahns have 12km of roadworks just after you've got on them, reducing your average mph drastically.
  • You're unbelievably lucky if you're bike breaks down 10 metres from the accommodation you're staying at and the next day is a working day
  • I haven't had calouses like this since I was 14.
  • I'm pleased I've done it and had some great rides in some great sections of road but I won't do anything like this again.
Last edited by freeridenick on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TaxiDriver

Re: Things I've learned from long distance riding

Post by TaxiDriver »

Don't think I could manage that trip, I have to stop every 20 miles with my arthritic feckin knee atm.
Good on yer though mate,must of been a blast occasionaly...... :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to hear how you got on and what you learned from your trip Nick :thumbup:
Some impressive mileage there 8)

Glad you got back home safely,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Having done some 500 mile days this year I know what you mean.
I found it hard to enjoy riding the following day.

I wasn't on a nice comfy tourer though, that would have made it easier.

It's a bit like banging your head on a wall, lovely when you stop...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

impressive mileage Nic... it would be leg room that would kill me too, and I know what you mean about riding gear .. the slight contact from the knee armour in my leathers, after 5 hrs starts to hurt like hell, and if I am not moving about the bike [ie motorway] it makes it worse.

perhaps a booster cushion is whats needed :lol:
AMcQ
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

That’s some mileage, also glad to hear you had a good time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

It wasn't just the leathers, I have a scab in the middle of my forehead from my helmet. A small tightness not helped by the 90mph battering my head took for hours. I've never had GS-envy before but I had it on the Autobahn. I'd planned detours off the Autobahn to enjoy the sporty side of the VFR. That would have been much better but I was so far behind with roadwork issues I had to skip some.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I don't find the leg room a problem on the VFR800 but my arms, neck and between my shoulder blades start hurting after about 150 miles. I couldn't do the miles you did on one, although I used to be able to do it.. I can do the miles on the right bike though, last year on my MT10 I did 2 days of 350-400 miles and could have carried on, the bars are nice and high, that combined with cruise control makes a huge difference.

So you'll be selling the VFR then ? or keeping it for medium length trips ?

I guess it's all running ok with the new battery ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

2 summers ago I did a little over 1000 miles in two days on the storm. i'd lowered the pegs, fitted a touring screen, also mirror extenders and a comfy seat.
it was still hard work tho, the first day was 600 miles and towards the end of the first day my tendons in my right wrist were getting sore, but strangely no sore neck or bottom.
if you have the correct bike and kit big mileage isn't an issue. but on a sports or so called sports tourer it can be torture.... :bondage:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm So you'll be selling the VFR then ? or keeping it for medium length trips ?

I guess it's all running ok with the new battery ?
No I'll be selling and yes, it's running perfectly with the new battery thanks. So well I've bought one.for the Storm too as that could be a dog to start when cold.
agentpineapple wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:05 pm if you have the correct bike and kit big mileage isn't an issue. but on a sports or so called sports tourer it can be torture.... :bondage:
You and Popkat are right. With the right bike I would have breezed it. The VFR was perfect off the motorway but not on it for me.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats some miles Nick. :clap: :clap: . 40 miles these days and im looking a rest.... :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

40 miles and your looking for fuel more like
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time