Fitting fireblade forks ?

General Biker Banter
thelens

Fitting fireblade forks ?

Post by thelens »

What do I need to purchase if I decide to fit fireblade forks ?
Can I just buy the two fork stanchions and they will fit as a direct simple replacement ?
Or not so easy a job ?
fabiostar

Re: Fitting fireblade forks ?

Post by fabiostar »

easy job and cheapest way, 93 to 97 fireblade legs, yokes and handlebars, then your wheel and discs fit and away you go
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
thelens

Post by thelens »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 pm easy job and cheapest way, 93 to 97 fireblade legs, yokes and handlebars, then your wheel and discs fit and away you go
Thank you !
So I do actually need top and bottom yokes with the legs ! :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Earlier Blade forks are right way up and don't fit your storm yokes. You will need early yokes as well.
What you gain is adjustability, and possibly bigger discs. (not sure). What you lose is a little length on the yokes, and therefore some ground clearance.

Later blade forks are usd, you have to have yokes as well, they are also shorter but this is lessened by the gullwing offset of the yokes.
You can go to 330mm discs as well.
But you need the blade wheel, discs and spacers to make it work.
This might help: https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/faq/abou ... size-chart
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

thelens wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 pm easy job and cheapest way, 93 to 97 fireblade legs, yokes and handlebars, then your wheel and discs fit and away you go
Thank you !
What Fab said.. forks, triple/yokes, handlebars but you want risers and a mudguard and then just bolt your wheel in.... I have multiple sets here plus clips, mudguard etc if you are interested drop me a pm.
xeris

Post by xeris »

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
thelens

Post by thelens »

Thanks a lot guys.... great information :D
thelens

Post by thelens »

Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:37 pm
thelens wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 pm
Thank you !
What Fab said.. forks, triple/yokes, handlebars but you want risers and a mudguard and then just bolt your wheel in.... I have multiple sets here plus clips, mudguard etc if you are interested drop me a pm.
It’s just a thought process at the moment but that’s great to know. Struggling to feel much in the way of feedback with the suspension as it is. The rear is worse than the front to be honest. Might just fit a progressive spring on the rear and that may just cure it. Happy to just ride the front end and let the rear take care of itself, but the front end needs to provide more feedback :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if your gona spend money on the rear, junk the shock, to put it mildly they are crap..

i should have also said, if you wana use you front wheel and discs and calipers to help keep costs down the legs from 93 to 99 fit but you must use yokes no later than 97 or the spacing will be wrong for a storm front wheel. so when shopping for yokes as long as the bottom joke is steel not alloy then its a straight fit. the alloy bottom yokes are spaced 15 mm further apart and are the 98/99 models.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
thelens

Post by thelens »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:51 pm if your gona spend money on the rear, junk the shock, to put it mildly they are crap..

i should have also said, if you wana use you front wheel and discs and calipers to help keep costs down the legs from 93 to 99 fit but you must use yokes no later than 97 or the spacing will be wrong for a storm front wheel. so when shopping for yokes as long as the bottom joke is steel not alloy then its a straight fit. the alloy bottom yokes are spaced 15 mm further apart and are the 98/99 models.
I do wish to use same wheel and brakes so 93-97 it is ! Thanks for that :D
As for the rear shock.... I can only agree... its crap lol. It is so void of feel, the only time I know it has reached its limit is when the tyre is sliding already :lol: Rear shocks are bloody expensive, so that could be awhile before I sort that out.
Thought I might just try a hyperpro progressive rear spring for now. Im sure it would improve the thing.
At least it would have some form of suspension ! :D
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

thelens wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 amI do wish to use same wheel and brakes so 93-97 it is !
replace for these forks is quite useless as it shares the same crappy design of lower triples. You can achieve better result with just upgrading your current forks.
thelens

Post by thelens »

Stephan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:49 pm
thelens wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 amI do wish to use same wheel and brakes so 93-97 it is !
replace for these forks is quite useless as it shares the same crappy design of lower triples. You can achieve better result with just upgrading your current forks.
That is certainly an option, but I should think the udf from a blade would be excellent.
Have any of the race guys tried both systems that can shed some light for the best setup ?
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

A set of the correct weight front springs and a revalve and set up will sort it, honestly its like riding a modern machine but you do need to change the rear shock.
Look for a used name shock and check first to see if it can be rebuilt, then get a set up by a tech.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

thelens wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Stephan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:49 pm
That is certainly an option, but I should think the udf from a blade would be excellent.
Have any of the race guys tried both systems that can shed some light for the best setup ?
I did. Oem forks with racetech springs and internals, then blade 97 forks with the same treatment. Difference was close to none. Then with upgraded lower triple, and front end is now excelent.

If you want real improvement, the easiest way is full cbr954 or similar front end.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

thelens wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 pm Have any of the race guys tried both systems that can shed some light for the best setup ?
Yes but you probably wouldn't believe me....... :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.