Wow.. check them mcct's.

General Biker Banter
jackson7715

Wow.. check them mcct's.

Post by jackson7715 »

Well, after a PM from MG Mac. I thought it wise to check on my MCCT's. Good thing i did. The top one was moving. 🙈

I re-tightened in situ, and checked the lower which was ok. Bike seems to start and run fine.

See vid links to youtube i uploaded.

Vid 1

Vid 2
Attachments
Screenshot_20190526-201952_Facebook.jpg
Wicky

Re: Wow.. check them mcct's.

Post by Wicky »

Make certain the locknut is doing its job - and maybe apply some loctite as well!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You confused me Matt...I'm thinking whos this Jackson bloke ... :lol: :lol:

Yes Ade's MCCts...Personaly I thought they were a pain to fit with the lock nut against the dome & a Nylock against the body... As the Nylock took some effort to turn it was turning the bolt, despite holding the dome as the bloody lock nut was comeing loose...

If I ever have to fit another set I think I'll junk the dome & just use a plain nut & lock up to that...

Needs a roll pin in it...dont have that issue with Bazza MCCT's...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MacV2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:30 pm You confused me Matt...I'm thinking whos this Jackson bloke ... :lol: :lol:

Yes Ade's MCCts...Personaly I thought they were a pain to fit with the lock nut against the dome & a Nylock against the body... As the Nylock took some effort to turn it was turning the bolt, despite holding the dome as the bloody lock nut was comeing loose...

If I ever have to fit another set I think I'll junk the dome & just use a plain nut & lock up to that...

Needs a roll pin in it...dont have that issue with Bazza MCCT's...
I agree, the acorn / jam nut is a pain, as the two "hex's" do not line up so you can only get a tool on one or the other hex.
If you want:
The adjuster nut (acorn and jam nut for it) is just for adjustment, meaning it needs to simply be retained against vibration.. your not putting but a few inch lbs of tq on it. You could easily remove the acorn nut, the acorn jam nut, put either one you like back on with a drop of high strength thread lock and let it cure.. After that the nut will never be an issue again.

Roll pins retention has its issues as well...on another bike I do a lot of work with, the Suzuki DRZ400, the first version of MCCT had the nut retained by a roll pin, but it was common for the roll pin to vibrate out after some time, leaving you......nutless....LOL

And since most folks are not really set up or proficient in drilling a new nut for another roll pin...kind of leaves you in a jam.

The adjuster nut coming off, being misaligned, is all just an annoyance. And nothing to do with the adjuster and its jam nut coming loose.
Im not throwing any stones, just saying, if tightened up properly, it can't really just come loose. The adjuster threaded into the body and the jam nut tightened down against the body creates a physical lock that vibration alone is not going to loosen.

It sucks it came loose, sh1t happens...to even the best mechanic. Id be a liar if I said I've never made a mistake...it happens. Fix it and move on.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
popkat

Post by popkat »

What about no nut and instead a slot cut in the end of the bolt, then it'd be sort of like a tappet type adjuster (locknut and screw)

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

popkat wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:23 pm What about no nut and instead a slot cut in the end of the bolt, then it'd be sort of like a tappet type adjuster (locknut and screw)
It would work... but less convenient for adjustment Id think.

And really, anaerobic stud and bearing mount or high strength thread lock and a nut...the nut is NOT coming off by vibration or hand tools.

One of the reasons I prefer to use the APE HT1000VTR PRO

Is the adjuster
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training