New Job...

General Biker Banter
MacV2

New Job...

Post by MacV2 »

So the long saga of being off work sick is almost up...

I'm due to return to work next Monday albeit on a phazed return...

However on Friday last week I rode down to Crawley to have an interveiw for a new job...

Just got a call saying they would like to offer me the job...

Now I have in the last few days had a letter from RGB saying as from April 1st I get a 2% payrise taking my salary up to £30711...I dont work weekends, I get 28 days + bank hols off but no overtime...ever... Plus & this is the biggie for me the commute. I do on a full week, when I do a full week (quiet at the back everyone whos about to comment on the fact that I havent worked for 9 months...) 350 miles to & from work per week, some weeks I'll have to fill up 4 times... On avrage thats 12 to 14 liters a fill...taking a mid fig. of 13ltrs @ 1.20pl...£15.60 a fill x 4...£62 a week...x by 4 £248 per month...x 11 months (alowing for hols)...£2728...& thats just the fule...Add on Ins, tax, tyres, oil, fillters & a few pairs of new pants thanks to the maniac cagers on the A2 every morn....

The new job package is as follows...

Starting Salary £24k

Bonus scheme after 12 months = 10% of salary

Overtime rate time and half for out of hours work.

Holiday 20 days plus Bank Holidays per calendar year

Uniform

PPE

Fuel Card

Mobile Phone

So working on an old payslip after tax I was taking home £1858 per month or £22296 pa, then less around £3000 ...19296

Hmmm :think: So around 6k less PA but A/ overtime + every 6 weeks on call over the weekend £75 a day + O/T if you get any callouts. B/ no cost to get to work....

V's...current 30k no over time & a 3k bill to get to work

However on the upside I wont have to put up with the shite I have to deal with from the lovely tenants day in day out...

Fek it I'm going for it...

Or am I...oooohhhh I don't know...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Re: New Job...

Post by popkat »

So you get to take a van home on the new job ?. the 6 week weekend on call as long as it doesn't clash with storm op's.. I know some people that do similar on call but they get asked to do more weekends (sometimes those asks are not optional as the firms need cover regardless) so you might have to book weekends when you book holiday's. talking of holidays that's a lot less 20 days to 28. your current employer has stuck with you through injuries, would the new one ?, are you employed by local authority now ?, the pension plan would be better there I would have thought. and what about pension contributions in the new job.

Of course the main thing is do what you feel is right for you :thumbup:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

like Popkat said ..... given your age and infirmity you need to think about pension impact and sick pay entitlement
AMcQ
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Fuel card/car is a big perk, but remember the tax man will want his cut of that (if you get personal use). Its based on the P11D value of the vehicle and the CO2 emissions, and its getting steep this/next year for anything but the cheapest little runabout. Bear it in mind. Some companies let you opt out of personal use, so no tax contribution, but not always. My engineers driving Vauxhall Astra estates with the 1.6 diesel are paying around £90 a month to the tax man for the privelege.
My Mondeo hybrid is more, getting more this year and getting ridiculous next year....
Only 20 days holidays... They're worth a lot you know...
The on call is OK, I've always done it. Depends on what you're doing I suppose.
Who's the employer? Am guessing it's an FM or Engineering Services provider?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sometimes better the devil you know... is the grass really that much greener??
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

If it's private sector you will find the culture is totally different and as others have said you will loose so many holidays and pension. Perhaps time to talk to your existing employer about the home to work journey and their duty of care.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Is it work with other people and managers? If yes, your current job seems to me better :)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Still in the killing game...Same job-ish but private sector...

Not worried about private use of the van so if it's an option I'd opt out...

Not worried about the on call clashing with Storm ops, those are booked in so they have to honour them...Not particularly worried about the 8 days less hols...

Working for the council does have it's benifits but it's been getting harder to work there over the last 2/3 years...Much bigger Big Brother ethos has crept in...

Yep they have put up with some shite re my injuries 3 lots of broken boneitus & extended leave...

The grass does seem greener in a lot of ways but if it's anything like my lawn it is very green but mainly green weeds, so maybe not that great TBH... :lol:

The 6k drop is a bit much but with O/T & other bits I should be up near 30k soon enough & the 3k commmute costs wont be a factor...So even if I get to 27k I'd be in the same boat as I am now...

I have to confirm I'll take the position & get a letter of intent before I quit at RGB...I'm gonna call them tomorrow afternoon & see if I can negotiate more dough to start...If not I'll pass & stick with the shite I have to put up with...

Ponder time...starts now... :think:
popkat

Post by popkat »

If you not bothered about private use of a van, how are you going to get to work ? surely you'd have to commute on your bike and have all the costs that go with it.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm If you not bothered about private use of a van, how are you going to get to work ? surely you'd have to commute on your bike and have all the costs that go with it.
As I understand it private use does not include the commute...Technicaly I'll be working from home, private use is going to the shops, nipping out to see Storms for sale or driving off somewhere to pick bits up ect...
popkat

Post by popkat »

I thought the commute was classed as private use. I could be wrong though maybe just assumed, would be worth you checking out for sure though.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Also unless you know different Mac, overtime is just that, it's something that can be stopped at anytime so you shouldn't rely on overtime always being there to prop up your wages.

As far as the job you're in now being not what it was, I.E. more pressure I presume, I think you'll find most companies are that way now. It's all about spread sheets and where they can squeeze the workers to make more profit, targets etc,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Found this, say's your right, you can even nip off route to pick up a newspaper.
Dated may 2018

https://www.businessvans.co.uk/van-tax/ ... mpany-van/

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

a public sector pension is a biggy to give away Mac. :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I would be inclined to stay put Mac. I know the commute is not great but pay is higher which also makes pension better also they have been more than fair with your offs and sickness in the past few years, where most companies would have binned you by now.
I don’t think a new employer would be as accommodating personally.
That said it’s your call and do what makes you happy, you may look back and wonder why you didn’t do it years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project