Rim tape removal

General Biker Banter
VTRsquid

Rim tape removal

Post by VTRsquid »

Does anyone have any tips to removing rim tape with the tyre still on?
Dont want to douse it in solvents or too much heat.
Im guessing i could fashion a heat shield out of a bif of scrap ally or stainless that i can rotate around as i go with ths heat gun, but just wondering if there is an easy way?
Kev L

Re: Rim tape removal

Post by Kev L »

If you've access to a hairdryer the heat is less and more controllable,, which would be better for lifting decals.

Good luck
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

As above, hair dryer then use GT85 to get rid of the remaining glue left behind.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers guys. So conventional methods it is then. Just have to be extra careful i guess. Not looking forward to it lol
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRsquid wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 am Cheers guys. So conventional methods it is then. Just have to be extra careful i guess. Not looking forward to it lol
It's not as scary as it seems, light heat get an edge up & once you can get a grip of it just pull it up as you continue to heat...

Top tips...use a plastic scrapper or a bit of wood whitteld to an edge...Do not use a metal scrapper !

Where some gloves, warm sticky plastic sticks to your fingers best let it stick to a glove than your fingers...

Lighter fluid, as you would use in a Zippo lighter is really good for removing the residue, whatever you use, lighte gas, WD or GT85...put it on a rag & rub the gunk off... Less chance of overspray on discs or tyres...

Personaly I would remove the wheel & do it flat on the ground...

Good luck, take your time & let us know how you get on... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers. Yeah had a quick go last night, couldnd find a plastic scraper so used a bit of carbon offcut, the rim tape is too cheap and u/v degraded to pull off clean, yet too sticky to scrape off nice, carbon was too stiff to conform and get purchase, was too tirsd aftef work, too full of warm beer, and too up to here with life in general to do more than 2 minutes lol.
Will haved a propper go at some stage soon. And yeah will defo take the wheels off and do it on a bench now ive had a taste.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

A wooden clothes peg used as a scraper won't damage the paint and instead of warm beer try IPA Isopropyl Alcohol.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Ha! wooden clothsepeg, that is wombles genius. Isopropyl, ,,, is that the stuff that makes you go blind, mad, senile and sterile? I might just try putting beers in the fridge lol.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Special Part: Honda Racing Corp race choke modulator - when disassembled doubles as crud scraper...

Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% Pure IPA 1 LITRE Lab Grade Party Pack

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Re your rim tape, you're not getting a sack back and crack are you? Gaffa tape works.
But I'd recommend a less masochistic method, I still have the tears in my eyes from two years ago in Devon.

And it wasn't even me it was being done to!

:Stick:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mourer

Post by Mourer »

Was it that bad, Tony? sheesh! haha
Here are some energy efficient electric log splitters to check out.