2-stroke engine help SORTED

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

2-stroke engine help SORTED

Post by freeridenick »

Sorry this isn't Firestorm related, it's not even bike related.

My chainsaw has started to show signs of wear but I'm not sure whether it's engine related or not. It's and Einhell that I've had for five or six years. It's not had industrial levels of use but it's had reasonably heavy home use. It's mostly well cared for although I tend to leave it with fuel in for quite a while.

Usually it clears itself and runs fine after a bit of use but last time I used it the engine felt like it was catching. It was harder to start with a snatchy feel and generally didn't feel smooth. I need to use it soon so will be stripping it and cleaning it up but I'm wondering if it needs and engine rebuild or just need the old fuel replacing and a recommission.

I've never had a two stroke so I don't know what they feel like when they need some love. Any advice welcome.
Last edited by freeridenick on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KermitLeFrog

Re: 2-stroke engine help

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Drain the fuel (including float bowl), clean and re-gap the plug (or replace if needed), clean the air filter. Fresh fuel in it and run it for a while.

If that does not work strip and clean the carb and fuel filters and check the electrics, coil, HT leads etc..

After that it's probably a rings/rebore/hone/piston (delete as applicable) job.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
norry rc8

Post by norry rc8 »

if piston has picked up,then get new barrel and piston.(should be cheep) there clast as disposable item :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

They are pretty good saws, as suggested change fuel, clea/replace plug and definitely wash out your airfilter - you'll be amazed how clogged that is!
If you have been anal with your fuel oil mix, your piston should be fine unless it has done 1000's of hours :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nick,
you should ask Fabio for help, he's pretty good with these fueling issues :lol: :angel:

only worry is that if he gets it started he might attack the Blue bike with it
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I had a quick look this morning and and parts seem available and cheap enough.

Definitely not 1000s of hours and the mix OK but I realised the fuel could be years old. IIRC I mixed a 5lt can and it's been sitting around for ages. That will be going to the tip and my note to self is only mix what I need. The rest can go in the car if it's getting old.

I'll give it a damn good clean and see where I'm at. Cheers.

I shouldn't laugh Al. I really shouldn't.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I am assuming that it does not have a gravity fed carb with a float and bowl and it is a diaphragm type
The diaphragms in the carbs can degrade over time. When this happens they can't fuel properly.

The same can happen to the crank seals
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I finally got round to looking at the saw today. The filter was indeed in a horrid state so that got a good clean. The carb came off for a thorough clean too. The diaphragm was in good condition and nothing looked blocked. Plug gap was fine and a nice light brown colour, it also turned over easily enough.

Then I think made a mistake. Reading the manual for the plug gap it said to pour a little oil through the plug hole and turn it over a few times before storing. I figured I'd do that since it's been stored for ages and it would lube things up a bit. Now when I pull the rip cord it sort chirps. Like air squeaking through a very small gap.

What would that be? I ran it and it was fine, but it still chirps when stopping or turning over by hand.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm I finally got round to looking at the saw today. The filter was indeed in a horrid state so that got a good clean. The carb came off for a thorough clean too. The diaphragm was in good condition and nothing looked blocked. Plug gap was fine and a nice light brown colour, it also turned over easily enough.

Then I think made a mistake. Reading the manual for the plug gap it said to pour a little oil through the plug hole and turn it over a few times before storing. I figured I'd do that since it's been stored for ages and it would lube things up a bit. Now when I pull the rip cord it sort chirps. Like air squeaking through a very small gap.

What would that be? I ran it and it was fine, but it still chirps when stopping or turning over by hand.
You heartless barsteward...you chainsawed a budgie... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Take the plug out now and clean in petrol. You have now coated it in oil.
Get a can of easy start and spray a little on the filter.
Now try again.
These little shits get easily cloged up. When you get them going they need regular starting.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I took it apart again and the chirping wasn't a budgie but one of the screws holding the engine to the body has come undone and was catching on the flywheel when the magnet came round. I cleaned the plug up and now it's running sweet.

Thank everyone.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:18 pm I took it apart again and the chirping wasn't a budgie but one of the screws holding the engine to the body has come undone and was catching on the flywheel when the magnet came round. I cleaned the plug up and now it's running sweet.

Thank everyone.
Good to hear you found the chirping, well done :clap:

Chris.