Trailer loading - how even does even need to be?

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Trailer loading - how even does even need to be?

Post by freeridenick »

The race van idea got knocked on the head so I now have twin axle braked box trailer. 8x5x5 foot, rear ramp door, side access door, max gross weight of 1800Kg and an unladen weight of around 550Kg. Nice and tidy with bike clamps and tie down points already in.

It's set up for two bikes at the moment but I will only be carrying one, for the time being. I was going to remove one of the clamps and move the other to the center line then pack stuff either side of the bike. But. If I leave one where it is I can have the bike on one side, gear on the other and it will be quite easy for me to organise everything so I can sleep in the trailer. With the bike centrally I'd have to move the bike over and onto paddock stands to get it our of the way.

The bike weighs in at 174Kg, call it 180, and a rough totting up of bits and pieces like a generator, tolls and spare wheels/tyres comes out at 125Kg. So how much impact would 50 to 55Kg extra on one side have?
tony.mon

Re: Trailer loading - how even does even need to be?

Post by tony.mon »

Strap your toolbox on to even up the weight.

Or a paving slab.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

I wouldnt worry too much. As long as the ball weight is about right.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Same as Tony, it's a big enough trailer with enough of its own weight to hold it stable, so the extra weight of the bike being slightly uneven is nothing to worry about.. And you will be able to counter balance it with all the petrol, spare wheels and tools so it will be good
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

How about putting the single track on diagonally?
You would have space one side for stuff at the front and on the other side at the rear.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers all. I'll give it a go with the bike on one side and all the rest of my sh1t on the other. If it tows badly I can sort it out before the next use.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Make sure you also distribute the weight front to back 60/40 to avoid fishtailing!

Riding along M25 I came across a bike crash and wreckage which stopped all the traffic where everyone was looking frantically for the rider - under cars and roadside but it turned out it was a bike carried on a trailer that had been spat off.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a ... correctly/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Wicky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am Make sure you also distribute the weight front to back 60/40 to avoid fishtailing!

Riding along M25 I came across a bike crash and wreckage which stopped all the traffic where everyone was looking frantically for the rider - under cars and roadside but it turned out it was a bike carried on a trailer that had been spat off.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a ... correctly/
I've seen that Wicky, cheers though. I came across it looking for info in nose weight after reading a White Dalton blog post. There's nothing like a good physical demo to reinforce the theory.