Got into a bit of an argument on Facebook over the weekend

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Re: Got into a bit of an argument on Facebook over the weekend

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm WTF! I still had the page open on my laptop in the kitchen and took another look. "What's the best product to lube cables?" followed by 50 comments. This turned into a shitfest of oil vs WD40. Do these people have nothing better to do? I suggest they post on forums whilst waiting for the coffee to brew. I have a life and that's what I do.

ps. WD40 with the hose stuck into one of those litle clampy things.
No No No... Wd is full of sovents ! Use a PTF based one...Or lard thats quite slippy... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:15 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm WTF! I still had the page open on my laptop in the kitchen and took another look. "What's the best product to lube cables?" followed by 50 comments. This turned into a shitfest of oil vs WD40. Do these people have nothing better to do? I suggest they post on forums whilst waiting for the coffee to brew. I have a life and that's what I do.

ps. WD40 with the hose stuck into one of those litle clampy things.
No No No... Wd is full of sovents ! Use a PTF based one...Or lard thats quite slippy... :lol: :lol:
Oh no. You are not going to suck me in that easily. You know feck all about these things and your mother wore clogs.

But, since I'm big hearted I'll explain. The concept is to CLEAN the inside of the bowden cable (use Google to see what that is). Some silly booger who eats tripe might have put oil down them (or even lard). WD40 under pressure cleans all the rubbish out but leaves a very light lubricant film.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

And get a job you lazy fecker. You obviously have too much spare time on your hands.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:11 pm And get a job you lazy fecker. You obviously have too much spare time on your hands.
you are getting the hang of this facebook style interaction Iain :lol:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:11 pm And get a job you lazy fecker. You obviously have too much spare time on your hands.

Fek off I have one already & I'm due to go back to work on the 15th...Unless the interveiw I have tomorrow come up trumps then I might start back sooner...

I still woudnt use Wd on me cables... :Tongue1:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm
you are getting the hang of this facebook style interaction Iain :lol:
I need the practice before I do it for real...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 pm I still woudnt use Wd on me cables... :Tongue1:
You stick with lard then. No wonder all the flies follow you around.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The cable is lined with a Teflon sleeve. As long as the solvent doesn't interact with that, fair enough, in my view.
Too heavy a grease simply absorbs grit and produces grinding paste.

But I'm not telling those idiots on farce book, they deserve all they get.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT85-PTFE-LU ... 56932a7e37
Works for me every time, in fact I use it all over the bike.
Like Tony said, let the idiots on fakebook crack on, I'm sure they all know better than us.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

On a serious note, I don't use WD40 myself but GT85 as well. I also, after washing and cleaning it, I smother the bike with AC90.

On the subject of chains, well, that causes a few arguments as well. Mainly because some people do not understand how an O ring works.