Got into a bit of an argument on Facebook over the weekend

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Got into a bit of an argument on Facebook over the weekend

Post by freeridenick »

The original post on the PS Mag page was about those external gear shift rod supports that bolt on in place of the bearing retainer. They're maybe 12mm deep and are supposed to prevent the rod flexing during gear changes and therefore produce a better shift. I questioned the amount the rod could flex being noticable given the size of the rod and the bearing support it already has. Cue argument.

The main issue was everyone else asserting that the protrusion of the rod whre the shift arm fits is only supported at one end. My argument is that one can't ignore the fact the rod extending inside the cases and is supported at the shift star end, therefore the rod is supported in two places and will hardly deflect. Even though one of those supports is further inboard than the other.

We never got past this so I could raise my other points, that the rest of the gear linkage is more likely to deflect than the arm and that in fitting these devices the user is likely to have cleaned the area and even replaced the shift arm on the splines in a different location. Both likely to improve shifting post fitting.

The OP was about a 1999 'Blade and he claimed the shift rod protudes 80mm from the cases, later measured at 70mm but I think that was from the outside of the case not the outside of the bearing housing. Either way I measured my 'Storm engine this morning and it's 40mm from the outside of the housing to the end of the rod. If the measurments are both accurate then our humble Storm seems better built than the Fireblade.

From what I can find these devices are a response to users claiming they experienced iffy changes and that it must be down to the rod flexing. As far as my logic takes me there are far more piece in the process that results in a gear change: rider's foot action; link rod bending; duff bearings; loose bolts etc, etc. I can't see how in normal operation there's enought force exerted on a 10mm solid steel rod to bend it.

Thoughts and constructive argument welcome.
MacV2

Re: Got into a bit of an argument on Facebook over the weekend

Post by MacV2 »

Your just a trouble maker...So AlMcQ told me... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Get a shaft (shove it in firmly in a vice poking out different lengths) apply force - measure deflection / or do it on a bike directly with and without the support mechanism.
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No point getting into arguments on FB as it's a hang out for fools that only go there to either not be serious and to wind people up or as an alternative place to sell something tax free. You may as well get into a conversation with Alex Jones from infowars. Not to mention the FB manipulation, data monitoring and collection along with gov officials watching their beady eyes over everything and making notes. You may get the odd person on there trying to help others but that will soon get lost amongst the fools. Read youtube comments instead as they will be far more laughable.

As for the flex there will be very little or nothing from the gearbox end. The first thing to bend would be the shift rod IMO. Actually they can bend rather easily if the wrong length or the shift arm is moved excessively out of position on the splines and one is struggling to change gear.

So what brought this subject up then?
==============================Enter the Darkside
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've never really thought of myself as a trouble maker but...

I was challenged to buy one of the devices and test it but right or wrong I'll be wasting £35: even if it works I don't need one.

The subject came up because the OP was pleased with himself and wanted to say how great the product was. Others said great where can I buy one, I said I can't see how it would be of benefit. Maybe he just wanted a pat on the back for buying something and screwing an M5 bolt in. I couldn't be bothered to point out that the dot on the end of the shaft didn't line up with the clamp, looked to be a tooth out. That could easily have made his shifting better simply by repositioning the gear lever relative to his foot. Assuming it wasn't in the same place beforehand.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Kind of sounds like another place that I know of..... though you didn't get banned for not following the crowd....lol
Shift rod flexing....yeah right. All the external linkage would flex long before it does.

I my opinion it is just another tax on folks who really don't understand the concept. :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

As mentioned earlier, don't waste your time posting on Facebook, I don't doubt it has some use, but I find most people on there are trying to convince everyone they're having a wonderful exciting life, when really they haven't got one at all.
Or trying to convince everyone how knowledgeable they, when they really know naff all, cut and paste springs to mind.
Some of the stuff on there is just a joke, and should be treated so.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I like going there..It makes me feel better about myself, knowing that I'm not as stupid as some people... :crazy:

I like the wind ups & winding up... :lol: :lol:

I've managed to piss quite a few people on there right off !

Sometimes it can be a right hoot reading Stupid Bod 1 arguing with Stupid Bod 2 over something really stupid in which they are both wrong about...

Trouble is there are multiple Stupid Bods who belive the BS they are spouting...Bending gear shafts is just one example... :lol: :lol:

& dont worry Carlos I allways wear my tin foil hat when on FB... :wink:
82149736.gif
82149736.gif (85.45 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i seen that post nick lol.. the guy was convinced and there was no talking to him lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

I'm with you all, no way is that rod going to bend before any of the linkages & definitely agree he set the whole lot up better than before to feel a difference :lol: :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Ooo, ooo, what's the PS Mag page? Kin I look, please? I love a good wind up.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm Ooo, ooo, what's the PS Mag page? Kin I look, please? I love a good wind up.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/practicalsportsbikes/

Mostly it's folks looking for some validation but there are some genuine restorers who help out.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Thanks Nick, I took a quick look but decided that life's too short.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

WTF! I still had the page open on my laptop in the kitchen and took another look. "What's the best product to lube cables?" followed by 50 comments. This turned into a shitfest of oil vs WD40. Do these people have nothing better to do? I suggest they post on forums whilst waiting for the coffee to brew. I have a life and that's what I do.

ps. WD40 with the hose stuck into one of those litle clampy things.