Water Proofs ???????

General Biker Banter
cheekykev

Water Proofs ???????

Post by cheekykev »

Hi all, I'm going on quite a few trips this year and I could do with a bit of advise on water proof over jackets/pants etc :confused
I need it to be small when packed away but still good enough to do the job, this is going to be an occasional use thing so doesn't have to be the best on the market, but I'm not into cheap rubbish either.
I would prefer a 2 piece, but all will be considered
So i just wondered what you guys recommend, oh and before anyone mentions getting textiles, that isn't an option, I am strictly a leathers man :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
popkat

Re: Water Proofs ???????

Post by popkat »

what ever you get go and try them on over your leathers and sit on a bike, I've made the mistake of not doing that then finding out you can't zip the legs up as boots and knee pads pull them tight when you sit on the bike.

I have 2 piece and they are still quite bulky when rolled up and take up space in the box or tail pack. 1 piece roll up smaller, you can get them with a long diagonal zip making them easier to get into. most will leak after a while though as they are just welded seems which leak before long, also the material is thin.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:D

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've been using a set of these for well over 2 years on the commute on rainy days...over the top of textiles so plenty big enough...

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /23347.htm

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /22963.htm

But as Poppers says try before you buy...

Oh & I carry mine in a ruck sack so cant comment too much on packabilitty as it's not an issue for me...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've got the Richa two part stuff (on, if I remember correctly, Popkat's recommendation). They are fantastic but a little bulky.

In the summer I usually don't bother. If it rains I get wet. Handy Spring and Autumn though, mainly against wind chill. It needs to be seriously wet before I put the bottoms on. Leather keeps the wet at bay.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

I've a set of Frank Thomas ones been using for about 5 years. XxL to go over leather jacket. Finally split the crotch on the trousers this year on the way back from Wales. Now got a pair of Helle Hanson ones from a builders merchandise place, only £20, and are also stretchy so hopefully no more damp balls.
Cannot get on with a 1 piece. Look like a baffon putting then on and billow everywhere when on.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 pm I've got the Richa two part stuff (on, if I remember correctly, Popkat's recommendation). They are fantastic but a little bulky.

In the summer I usually don't bother. If it rains I get wet. Handy Spring and Autumn though, mainly against wind chill. It needs to be seriously wet before I put the bottoms on. Leather keeps the wet at bay.
I’ve got the Richa two piece for over the leathers as well and they work well :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
xeris

Post by xeris »

Take a look at some of the rain gear that is being sold by outdoor/hiking/camping retailers.
I purchased these last year. Forgot how expensive they were, but they kept me dry. Also pack down to a reasonably small size.
https://www.rei.com/product/127340/rei- ... -mens-tall
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I personally use waterproof laminated touring gear all year round. However, I always carry one of these around with me either in my top box or just strapped to the seat to throw on over my riding gear to keep the worst of the weather off - https://www.arco.co.uk/products/1874000?s=1

It is a hard wearing waterproof workmans jacket. It is non breathable so it helps keep in the head when it is wet and windy. The colour isn't to everyones taste but I prefer to be warm and visible in monsoon conditions.

Al.
Beef

Post by Beef »

I have a 1 piece suit:

Oxford Rainseal

Been caught in some serious downpours and it does a pretty good job. I'd certainly buy another set.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

xeris wrote:Take a look at some of the rain gear that is being sold by outdoor/hiking/camping retailers.
I purchased these last year. Forgot how expensive they were, but they kept me dry. Also pack down to a reasonably small size.
https://www.rei.com/product/127340/rei- ... -mens-tall
I’ll second that idea.
I bought a cheep pair of hill walking trousers from go out doors. They pack down real small and have big zips up the side so you can put them on without taking your boots off. Only £15 on sale amd work just as well as my £150 textiles for dryness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

For another option or if you're just poor\cheap like myself is to go to the local thrift store and find the other shell from a ski suit.
I mainly just use the jacket but with the thermal liners out it fits perfectly over my leathers and even has a collar that comes up all the way to the bottom of my helmet.

Been tested to ton up speeds :shh: and so far has been totally wind and waterproof :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If you use any sort of waterproof suit or trousers than you pull on over your gear then a top tip is to pack a plastic shopping bag in with them. Before you put your boot into the leg, pop the platic bag over your boot first then slide your boot, with the bag over it, into the leg. The boot should slide through really easily. Repeat for the other leg and you're sorted.

Al.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Al, do you have a solution to getting the waterproof jacket on when your leathers are wet.

I had to get a passerby to help me as the jacket was stuck half way up my back :lol:
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm Al, do you have a solution to getting the waterproof jacket on when your leathers are wet.

I had to get a passerby to help me as the jacket was stuck half way up my back :lol:
Put your head in a plastic bag.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)