insurance grumble (nothing new im sure)

General Biker Banter
Bezzer

insurance grumble (nothing new im sure)

Post by Bezzer »

....So got my car insurance quote today but had to inform them of my bike prang in june. quote rose by 120 quid! got a new more acceptable quote but why the twatting around? if firm A want to raise to over 500 quid, how come i can find firm B who'll do it for 370? same old BS every year.

just sayin :sick:
bobbler

Re: insurance grumble (nothing new im sure)

Post by bobbler »

Insurance renewal time is horrible.

Current insurer gives a renewal quote of a couple of hundred more than previous year that will "automatically renew unless you tell us otherwise". Next step is to go onto the comparison sites to find the best insurer is the one you are with and its a couple of hundred less than the renewal. The problem is to get it you have to go through all your personal details (which they already have on file) to register as a new customer to get the better deal :evil:

Why cant they just give a proper price in the beginning and maybe have a little loyalty to their customers?
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It annoys me that the quote is always higher than last year.So you ring them up and get insured with the same company but at the same price as last year.Chancers the lot of them, but unfortunately it's required by law.Short and curlies comes to mind.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bobbler wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:29 pm Insurance renewal time is horrible.

Current insurer gives a renewal quote of a couple of hundred more than previous year that will "automatically renew unless you tell us otherwise". Next step is to go onto the comparison sites to find the best insurer is the one you are with and its a couple of hundred less than the renewal. The problem is to get it you have to go through all your personal details (which they already have on file) to register as a new customer to get the better deal :evil:

Why cant they just give a proper price in the beginning and maybe have a little loyalty to their customers?
That's one of the good things about using a comparison website, most of your detail is saved from the previous year.
There's only about four good ones, so once you've entered your details on those, and found the best price, go to mustard and they'll beat it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Insurance alternatives - Just imagine having self-financing vtr1000.org crowd insurance ! Would it be cheaper or more expensive than the premiums we pay now...

Car insurance: Why pay when you are not driving?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45758926

Look out of your living room window. Is your car parked in the street, or on your drive?

If so, you are probably paying to insure your car, even though you are not driving it.

In fact, many cars spend more than 90% of their time entirely static.

In times gone by that was tough luck for policy holders.

But now there are providers who can save you money if you don't drive every day.

Indeed new technology - "insuretech" as it is called - is starting to make insurance cheaper on everything from bicycles to golf clubs, jewellery to musical instruments.

Pay by the mile

One method of saving money is to pay by the mile.

John Leahy runs a record label in north London, and takes the Tube to work. As a result he drives only about 4,000 miles a year.

Rather than pay an annual premium upfront, he has a policy that is effectively pay-as-you-go.

He reckons he will save between £100 and £150 this year, or around 20% of his annual premium.

He is also more aware of what each trip in the car really costs.

"I'm now of the mindset of thinking, 'Do I need to take the car?'

"Because not only will I be paying for the petrol, but I'll also be paying for the insurance."

How does it work?

This year Mr Leahy paid a fixed fee of £170, plus a £50 deposit. That covers him for fire and theft, and includes a black box that monitors his journeys.

Then he pays 3.4p for each mile he actually drives. At the end of each trip he gets a notification of the cost.

The firm that supplies his insurance - called By Miles - believes most people driving less than 7,000 miles a year are likely to pay less than they would with a conventional policy.

Typically that will be city-dwellers rather than those who live in the countryside.

"It gives you that flexibility to do a fair comparison before you start a journey - to say, 'Shall I walk it, shall I take the bus, or shall I take the train?'" says the company's chief executive James Blackham.

Pay by time

Another way to save money is to pay according to the time you spend driving. So you can now buy car insurance by the hour, the day, the week or the month.

This could be useful if you want to drive your partner's car, or give a friend a lift home from the pub.

But it is especially handy if you are a student, and perhaps want to drive your parents' car in the holidays.

Or, like 24-year-old musician Alfie Jeffries, if you only drive once in a while.

He shares a van which he uses for the band.

"Sometimes I'll only need to go to a rehearsal, so I only need to insure it for a couple of hours," he says.

"Sometimes I don't know how long the rehearsal is going to be, so I'll insure it for an hour, and then whenever the rehearsal finishes, insure it for another hour to get back."

How it works

Having signed up, motorists send a picture of their driving licence, as well as a selfie with the car they want to drive.

Buying an hour's insurance costs roughly £10, with day cover costing between £20 and £30.

However, anyone who drives more than a couple of times each month is likely to find it cheaper to buy a conventional annual policy.

The firm that supplies this temporary insurance - called Cuvva - does not supply black boxes to monitor whether you have stopped driving by the time the cover expires.

That leaves them open to criticism that motorists may drive faster to get to their destination, or even continue driving without insurance.

"At the end of the day they're breaking the law if they're not insured, and people know that pretty effectively," says Freddy Macnamara, the chief executive.

Drivers get a 15-minute warning before the policy expires, and they can then pull over and extend the cover.

Crowd insurance further link > Laka raises $1.5M seed to take its ‘crowd insurance’ model beyond bicycles

Technology also now makes it possible for people to club together for insurance.

A firm called Laka - named after the Hawaiian goddess of prosperity and hula dancing - puts cycling enthusiasts in groups of a thousand or so.

They pay nothing upfront. However, at the end of the month any claims are totalled up, and shared between the members.

In good months, when there are no claims, they will pay nothing. In bad months, when there are several claims, their liability is limited, meaning they might pay a maximum of £40 or so.

Rupert England is a keen cyclist who has seen the benefits.

Over the last six months he has paid just £22.50 in premiums, instead of £200 under a conventional policy.

"I love it. It's like the crowd insuring itself," he says.

"If somebody spends three or four grand on a bike, I know they'll take care of it. They're not the ones who are going to leave them around or abuse them. And for me there is a feeling that if there's a claim on the crowd, actually it is a genuine claim."

Golf 'clubs'

Tobi Tobias, the founder of Laka, believes the traditional insurance model is outdated.

"There is a huge conflict of interest: the more insurers pay out in claims, the less profit they make. Customers want the opposite," he says.

"So the two parties have different interests, and I believe that is where the negative public perception of insurance companies is coming from."

His own firm covers high-end equipment belonging to hobbyists, who typically take care of their possessions.

He foresees policies becoming available for those who own expensive musical instruments, golf clubs or jewellery.

So if you need insurance, it now pays not just to shop around, but to consider more radical forms of cover as well.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Any good ones out there for 2 bike cover? Currently with Hastings and time for a change I think?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Any recommendations for modifications such are street fighter with bade front end and non standard paint job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am Any good ones out there for 2 bike cover? Currently with Hastings and time for a change I think?
I'm currently with Peter James insurance for 2 bikes on one policy. Not had any dealing with them apart from taking me money...The uneducated dofus on the phone cocked up the details between the two bikes so had to call back in when the doc's arrived to sort that out & there was a bit of two & fro-ing re the modifications I quoted...

Next quote I'm gonna try these guys...

https://www.bemoto.uk/bemoto-motorbike- ... road-bikes

& these guys...

http://www.lynbrookins.co.uk/

Both these come up as recomondations on Practical Sportsbike FB page for good multibike policys...

Oh & I was with Hastings, after a year the policy price shot up, low price to get you in then they jack it up...bastids...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 am Any recommendations for modifications such are street fighter with bade front end and non standard paint job?

These guys seem to have a specific insurance for modified bikes...

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/custom-bike-insurance/
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

MacV2 wrote:
Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 am Any recommendations for modifications such are street fighter with bade front end and non standard paint job?

These guys seem to have a specific insurance for modified bikes...

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/custom-bike-insurance/
Cheers Mac will give them a try when she is road worthy Image

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, that rolled round quick! Insurance time again.SP2 with mods quoted was 157.59, and they will add the CB600F in mid April when that comes up, don't know how much but they reckon cheaper than insuring it separately. That's with two speedings and a 2 month ban in the last 5 years.
Being old is not ideal, but it's cheap!

Strangely, though, they found a third car claim- I only recall two, one my fault, one not- so something's not right. Maybe I got concussion in that one!
But it made no difference to the price, and will be over five years old by the next renewal, so not worth bothering with. It's odd what's registered on the insurance claim database, though. I'll make a FOI request to view what they have registered.

Bikesure seem to want my business; they came up cheapest with Gocompare, Mustard and compare the market- all at different prices, though. Mustard were about 30.00 cheaper than the other two, fully comp, International up to 90 days and riding other bikes covered, plus free legal cover.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Legalised muggers the lot of them. If only there was some kind of loyalty rewards like the old days but they gamble on folk not bothering to go through all the palava of filling in details and getting quoted from other companies. The whole industry is a sham. I don't like the pay per mile thing either. That is simply another way of installing a tracking device on people. Don't ride any faster than walking pace or they might grass you up to the authorities and you will receive a fixed penality. That's if the other devices don't catch you first. It will probably be automatically networked to DVLA anyway. Geez while they at it why not stick a tag on our ankles too. Then again one could always disconnect and remove the box and go for a ride I suppose :think:

They will insist on cameras next. Well they can shove that up my arsehole because the only thing they are getting from me is sh1t. The thing is once they get everyone onto the idea of a black box and paying per a mile they will whack the price up per mile but they need to suck everyone in first. Insurance companies use the same bullshit tactics as politicians and they have the law on their side. Create a problem then introduce something that is going to cost us to fight the problem but benefit them.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Not a fan then Carl

Duffy1964
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm fan of freedom and having choice. Were quick to jump onto other countries and what they get up to and have a pop but we never really look at the state of our own and do something about it. There's far too many charges forced upon us and were being ripped off. Parliament is never going to do anything about the companies that rip us off because they are in the same boat and ripping us off too.

I've said this before but with regards to insurance we need a more fair system where everyone pays the same basic insurance cover and then anything extra is optional. Create a competitive market rather than have the insurance companies rule the roost and do as they please. And that basic cover should be run by DVLA or some other state run system rather than a third party private company. Put the money into the NHS and a pot for victims of crime. The problem is because it's a legal requirement we are held to ransom. If third party insurance was optional then they would be forced to lower the costs and compete against each other.

The other gripe I have is that these insurance companies are worldwide companies and why should we pay more to cover.....say, accidents in Russia for example. It's all well and good watching the funny youtube vids from their vehicle cameras but it's the same few insurance companies working over there and we are paying for it as we do for the non insured over here. Why should we individually and personally be penalised for others mistakes and crimes. And to add to that look how easily vehicles get written off now as it's less paperwork easier to pay out than repair. Were paying for that too.

Quite frankly the biggest criminals here are the insurance companies. It's extortion.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So insurance renewal came through...£252.96 up from £250.35 last year... This is for two storms...

quoted me VJMC mebership number... £124.69...yes thats just about half price ! Result !