FireStorm <--> Yamaha TRX850 commentary

General Biker Banter
exTRX850

FireStorm <--> Yamaha TRX850 commentary

Post by exTRX850 »

A while ago I promised a VTR <--> Yamaha TRX850 comparison as I was getting off the long term latter for the former. Here it is in its potted glory.

VTR on the left, TRX on the other

6spd - 5spd
90 degree, different cam size twin - 270 degree crank parallel twin
OneHundred and (thanks Wicky) 50cc more @1litre - 850cc
Side radiators - Front radiator
Flat exposed trellis frame - Round frame
Headlight in fairing - Small headlight in fairing, made it look like it suffered from a condition (Ducati used a more bulbous head)
Forks N Brakes - not much in it after tweaks are made
Analogue & digi binnacle - Analogue only
Small switch gear for gloved hands - Bigger switch gear for gloved hands
Runs hot - Ran cooler
Final chain drive on both
Big Dellortos mean frequent petrol visits - Less frequent petrol visits
Heavier - Lighter (not by a lot)
Clip on bars - Same, but the TRXs angle was slightly more comfortable
Yes choke it - Rarely wanted choking, just caught
Fuel meter and Trip meters - Odometer only
Speedo & Tacho with 60 --> 100 at 6 o'clock - Same Nos. were more visible
Hydraulic clutch lever - Cable clutch activation (by comparison it seems ancient in design)
Immense stump pulling mill - Just before I sold the TRX I found out the ignition map was emissions retarded and an aftermarket block was available that would have smoothed it out more. Faark.
Throaty, fuel destroying, fearsome unit - Flickable, snapping thing

+++++++++++

I do notice less efficient switch gear when it comes to cold gloved hand use on the VTR compared to the TRX. Indicator and kill switch especially. But 'you' get used to anything.

Seating is very similar but for me a slight wrist discomfort on the VTR. Improbable 2 mil twist of the bars in one direction will probably fix it.

VTR is noticeably heavier but only by comparison. As you probably know in itself it isn't a heavy bike.

VTR has been quick to get on the fans at over 103 degrees whereas the front radiator on the TRX was likely more efficient than the VTRs two side radiators. That wont change so have to suck eggs there. Will keep an eye on coolant quality over time...

VTR - Doing the HISS transponder key mumbo this weekend as it came with one key! Keeping an eye out for a pristine red seat cowl too.

Both great. TRX is gone, 50,000 klms in front of me on the VTR, so it will have to do, aftermarket pipes are helping a lot. Maybe running lighter, cooler and louder now? Louder definitely, praise allah.

Videos here. No unseemly revving of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRko-bNi4C0 - can you spot the sliver of a bin at 14 seconds?

https://youtu.be/AG0_0fTjxXg
Last edited by exTRX850 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
Wicky

Re: FireStorm <--> Yamaha TRX850 commentary

Post by Wicky »

50cc more
149cc

Thought about a TDM900 engine in the TRX?

https://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/y ... afe-racer/

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

Wicky wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:47 am
Thought about a TDM900 engine in the TRX?
I hadn't. I have an alert set for sales of low K TRX units and that one may well be a project.

VTR is fine for now, we're still getting to know each other...
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

exTRX850 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am A while ago I promised a VTR <--> Yamaha TRX850 comparison as I was getting off the long term latter for the former. Here it is in its potted glory.

I do notice less efficient switch gear when it comes to cold gloved hand use on the VTR compared to the TRX. Indicator and kill switch especially. But 'you' get used to anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRko-bNi4C0 - can you spot the sliver of a bin at 14 seconds?

useful comparison of key features. did you make a video of how the ride compares?

incidently, just how cold does it get in perth?
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

exTRX850 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am A while ago I promised a VTR <--> Yamaha TRX850 comparison as I was getting off the long term latter for the former. Here it is in its potted glory.

useful comparison of key features. did you make a video of how the ride compares?

incidentally, just how cold does it get in perth?
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

sniffipn wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 am

incidentally, just how cold does it get in perth?
Video riding comparison, nope, the TRX fork legs had spot rust & the seals were gone. Which is why it's gone and the VTR is here.

Perth WA weather, if horse troughs get a little ice on them it makes the TV news...
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Just saw this post.

A TRX led me to the VTR, loved the thump but not enough mumbo !

The Trixxie is a great bike however it ( Or Mine ) topped out at approx 235 K's.

The Storm has a bit more at 260 ish and after a raft of mods is much superior to the TRX.

Still, I'df someone offered me a blown TRX I would be happy to resurrect it as it was a fun bike and sounded great with the Stainies on.

:thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Ive just come from a trx too. Mine had 100,000km on it when it was written of (and reclaimed!) Agree with most of what you say.
The VTR is actually a couple kg lighter than the TRX on paper
Trx has a steel trellis frame. Vtr has a aluminium twin spar that is a little bit "trellisy"
The TRX is Narrower, and more compact.
Both bikes take a single H4 headlight bulb, although the VTR has a swoopy polycarbonate headlight and the TRX has a more retro square glass arrangement they both have excellent patterns but could use and extra globe.
Trx switchgear better in useability, inexplicably, as they are both pretty conventional. I have to actually release full grip in my left hand to thumb the vtr indicators and im a 2xl glove. I dont know if its endemic to VTRs but Im having a problem with the indicator on mine where it takes a second for it to flash whereas the trx is instant , facilitating safer lane changes and filtering. Doesnt sound like a big deal but makes a big difference.
Dials are chalk and cheese, big analogue easy to read on the trx and yes there is an analogue trip meter.
Fuel mileage; there isnt that much in it. The vtr gets a bad rap because the fuel sender is halfway up the tank, still thirsty though.
Power department, vtr has at least 20hp on the trx but trx has smoother bottom end and more linear pull all the way to rev cut off, and much more aggro note, especially on over run.
Brakes are probably better on the trx, bigger rear disc with twin pot and a selection of gold/silver/blue spot monoblock calipers from pretty much Yamaha's entire range will bolt straight up to the front for cheap.
Trx 5speed is buttery smooth whereas the VTR is very clunky, especially in lower gears at lower RPM. (again not sure if this is just my bike)
Clutch on the TRX can actually be used without trying to kill you. 1st gear goes to 100kmh with a -1 smaller front sprocket making for fail proof 0-100 traffic light sprints by simply riding the clutch off the line and holding throttle open until rev cut-off lol.
Both bikes benefit from suspension upgrades. Trx probably more responsive to power mods.
A tough call, both bikes very similar, great bikes more suited to spirited riding as well as gentle riding in real world conditions and capable of embarrassing much more powerful higher spec machines in the twisties.
The VTR wins on paper and feels more refined, the TRX being a more visceral and raw experience yet feels like a more finished product with none of the minor quirks or gripes we all have with the VTR.
My prognosis; Yamaha needs to make a big bore 270* crank parallel twin and call it an MT-12 or 13 or something lol.