what textiles

General Biker Banter
BigVeeGrin

what textiles

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I'm going to treat myself to a new set of textiles in anticipation of scottish weather :) Anyone got any recommendations or brands to steer clear of? Last lot were Spada, they were alright but leaked a bit, stitching was a bit iffy in places.

Going to check out the J&S outlet place at Finedon for any bargains too. New helmet is on the list as i read you should replace them every five years or so, no idea if this is true, but hey, new one it is anyway.
MacV2

Re: what textiles

Post by MacV2 »

I had a full RST set trews & Jacket that I was more than happy with...The paramedics decided to cut it off me tho which kinda ruined it.

After that I had a couple of jackets that I picked up 2nd hand.

Now I have ISX trews & jacket, from J&S. Both fully armoured. The back protector was IMO a bit flimsey so I changed it for another one I had. The only gripe I have with it is the neck closure velcro is a bit weak.

Top Tip when trying it on. Firstly go at least a size up to what you normally would get so it gives room for extra layers. Secondly When you try it on take anything else you nomaly have on with you. balaclava, neck warmer that sort of thing. Thirdly dont forget the position you are in when riding is much different that standing up admiring yourself in the shop mirror ! If poss ask if you can try sitting on your bike in the new kit to see if it rides up.

Try to get matching trews & jacket as they should zip together...stops the drafts up your back.

Size wise they all tend to be different so you do need to try before you buy.

Watch the leg lenghth if the inside leg is too long the knee armour wont sit over your nees correctly.

Last thing I have to add is all the textiles I had over the years have all leaked. They tend to be shower proof but not rain proof. I've even got propper soaked just from spray off the road, even tho it wasnt raining. These days I use an Oxford over suit which does keep the rain out & also helps keep you warm.

Now gloves...Invest in a set of heated gloves...best investment ever for winter riding. Forget heated grips they will only warm your palms.

Dont forget the jacket cuffs have to go over your gloves or else the rain will run down your sleeves & fill your gloves up. The jacket glove combo I currently run wont allow this but the Oxford rain suit does go over me gloves.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/IXS ... /19237.htm
Not sure this is the exact one I have but close.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Oxf ... /23347.htm
This is the one I have & I highly recommend it. Again try on over the jacket you buy as you need a bit of wiggle room. The trews that go with it are a bit flimsy but work ok, just make sure what ever ones you get have either a zip or very wide bottoms. You need to be able to get them on over your boots. Last thing you want is to have to take your boots off at the side of the road in the pooring rain...

Talking of boots... https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/RST ... /18227.htm been using these two winters now no issues, keep your feet nice & dry. Again go a size or two up to allow thicker socks... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

https://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/k ... er-gloves/

Go for the hard wire not the battery pack. As the battery is a bit bulky & of course is no fekin good if it runs out of power whilst your out n about !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 on going two sizes up to allow for extra fleece/thermal layers.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I got a HELD Imola goretex jacket 2 yrs ago and it is a great 3 season jacket for use on a sports bike. Lots of well though out features and good armour but not cheap [£450 is plus extra for the uprated backprotector] .... so far so good

as I have long legs I cant find trousers that work, so I stick with leathers [zipped to the Imola Jacket] and waterproof over trousers
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

All standard textiles leak. The trews are the worst as water pools in the crutch area. With this in mind I went shopping for waterproof trews the other day. Saw some I liked and... HOW MUCH!?. I am not paying £800 for a pair of trousers (the matching jacket was about 1k).

I've given up on trying to get waterproof textiles. I just concentrate now on comfort and protection and then use these if it rains hard.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/210653

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/33286

They are the absolute bee's knees. Totally waterproof at silly speeds.

I also took the shitty CE1 back armour out of my RST jacket and bought one of these.

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/pro ... irt-1/2487

I wish I was wearing it a few months ago.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Many many moons ago I purchased Wolf textiles. Bloody great, still have them.
They went quiet for a time but now I see they are back. I'd be tempted to get another set.
Held gear does look bloody good.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

I have an xxxl jacket for sale
Akito python
New.
Bought it after my jacket was stolen on holiday, bought to fit over my leathers, but only wore it the once coming home
Blue and black with ce armour
In Scottish borders
Cheap.
podman

Post by podman »

Textiles have got some much better in recent years and , IMHO, paying a premium price doesnt seem to get your much more in terns of water proofing and quality, in fact, a cheapo pair of trousers I bought from J&S lasted many years longer and where far more waterproof than a Dainese set which the zip failed on in under 18 month.

I have a £100 Furygan jacket now and a £70 pair of Akito trousers, cant fault them. Integral braces or trousers than come with the braces can be very handy in terms of fit/comfort...sad but true!
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The latest RST textile kit looks pretty decent and the whole kit is now CE certified, not just the armour which can only be a good thing.

If it's pissing down, windy or really cold I throw one of these ( https://www.arco.co.uk/products/1874000?s=1 ) over my jacket to keep the worst of the weather off. I also carry a pair of HG waterproof trousers if required.

Whatever kit you go for, give them a wash and waterproof treatment every couple of years with Nikwax Techwash & TX Direct.

I commute all year round in Aberdeen so I make sure my jacket has space for me wearing a few base layers as well as my EXO2 heated vest. Heated grips AND heated gloves are a bonus to to keep you focused on the road.

Al.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

rollingthunderx2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm I have an xxxl jacket for sale
Akito python
New.
Bought it after my jacket was stolen on holiday, bought to fit over my leathers, but only wore it the once coming home
Blue and black with ce armour
In Scottish borders
Cheap.
:thumbup: cheers, although might be a little on the large size. Plus the blue would totally upset the colour balance of a lovely black storm - dealbreaker :wink:

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it and hearing your thoughts. Mac, those are the boots I've got, very good. :thumbup:
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

:thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Don't know if you guys can get them but these guys make very good, actually waterproof, textiles:
http://www.aerostich.com/
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just to add to your shopping info. If it has a Gortex lining it has to pass a stringent test and should come with a 2 year guarantee against leakage. Mind you. That doesn’t stop the water running down the neck of your jacket to get inside or it pooling in your lap and coming over the top of your leggings. So make sure you have a good neck fastener and a high waste band or it doesn’t matter how much you spend you’ll still get soggy baldrocks🤭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I have a set of Alpinestars Andes Drystar textiles in fetching fluoro yellow. These have proven to be waterproof over a couple of hours of torrential rain, have a zip-out lining that in conjunction with a merino base layer is pretty good down to 5C or so. Also with vents open they are comfy in 25C weather when moving, but get pretty sweaty when you stop.

Being an Astars fanboy I also have their waterproof boots and gloves, and all pass my rain test with flying colours.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150