Learning to weld

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Learning to weld

Post by freeridenick »

Just got home from my first trip back to school in 24 years. I'd never have thought running beads along plate would be so satisfying.
Alex.

Re: Learning to weld

Post by Alex. »

I did a welding course a few years back at the local college, great fun learning how to stick bits of metal together without glue!
Started off with stick, then MIG and finally a bit of TIG. Might have to look them up and see what courses they are running this year!

Alex.
Last edited by Alex. on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I'm doing MIG and will end up as an NVQ qualified welder. With any luck I'll get a chance to try TIG too but the qualification will be MIG.

I don't care about the certificate but the chance to opportunity to pick up on something I should have learnt at school is great.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice one Nick and kudos to you going back to college to learn a new skill. I bet it feels a bit odd going to college. What's the age group of fellow classmates. Are you the oldest there or it purly adult education.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Alex.

Post by Alex. »

The local college where I did my welding course has a full workshop including lathes and mills. I would love to do an evening class in learning how to use these bits of kit, but they don't appear to run any!

Alex.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 am Nice one Nick and kudos to you going back to college to learn a new skill. I bet it feels a bit odd going to college. What's the age group of fellow classmates. Are you the oldest there or it purly adult education.
:lol: :lol:
It's an evening course for adults so I'm not in a class with kids. It's mostly welders who are learning new skills or gaining the qualifications they need for work reasons. I'm in the upper age range with the rest of the group who are hobby welders.

I could have tried to teach myself from youTube but this cuts out a massive part of the learning curve.
Alex. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am The local college where I did my welding course has a full workshop including lathes and mills. I would love to do an evening class in learning how to use these bits of kit, but they don't appear to run any!

Alex.
Same for me. Guillotines and all the rest.

College is in Tameside and is a relatively deprived areas. One of the advantages though is that it has loads of funding for training so are able to offer these courses. I couldn't find anything else near by. All the other adult ed courses were in computing (read using the internet), languages or crafts.

Tameside College also offer engineering, CAD and mechanic course. I could find myself becoming a serial 'student'.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Five weeks in and four out out of five tests passed. Just the outside filet on an open corner to do. I'd have had it last night with another half hour.

Run of three beads. They passed but I wasn't happy with them. Too far away from the plate and too wobbly for my liking. The lap is a bit better - getting a better distance with the arc but still loads of spatter.

The T joints are much better. It took me a full two weeks of practice and playing with settings to get these but I did them both one after another last night. It's very interesting how much difference a half volt here or there can make.

The first is in the horizontal position the second on a 45 degree angle. That one isn't as good as the horizontal position but I'd hardly spent any time with the torch vertical in the last few weeks. I need to tuck my elbow in a bit. The leg length on both is only just within tolerance in my view too but the tutor was happy enough. Slightly faster with the torch and that should be sorted.

Martinz

Post by Martinz »

Very well done mate, I did My welding qualification about 10 years ago. Got more some work here and there. It can be a lot of fun.

Unfortunately I don't own a welder anymore, however if you do get yourself a little set up I've got your first job ! All 4 bottom door frames on my Defender !! :D :lol:

I encourage anybody to get back to school, in my line of work I'm constant training and on various courses / qualifications. Love it.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Have fun & take care.

Btw, is this you? :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

So funny, proper LMAO funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not yet. I guess it's one of those things that happens eventually.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good for you Nick, well done :clap:
Seeing your test pieces certainly takes me back :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:08 am Have fun & take care.

Btw, is this you? :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

So funny, proper LMAO funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:
:lol: :lol: that is hilarious

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Well, that's me done. Health and Safety tested passed tonight so I'm now an NVQ Level 1 qualified MIG welder. Well. I will once the City and Guilds bod ratifies my marks.

Final test piece was an open corner filet. Which seemed like the easiest of the lot.
Open corner filet
Open corner filet
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Good work mate adding a qualification at this stage. Takes commitment
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good work Nick....... welding is one of those skill that look easier than it is ... you see a skilled welder and you Think ... how hard can it be?? then you try and it s a total mess, even though they have already given you a big help by setting the welder at the right set up for the material.

you have done well .. have you bought a MIG yet?
AMcQ