Learning to weld

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Re: Learning to weld

Post by freeridenick »

It's definitely not as easy as it looks bit that's the mark of time and practice. 10,000 hours is all it takes, apparently.

When you get the knack it's easy. Then you change joint, position or material and it's virtually back to square one. Making things, or at least successfully completing a task, is tremendously rewarding. For a while I've been thinking that too many jobs available now are missing that success feedback to make them satisfying and learning to weld has confirmed that for me. I completed the test pieces a couple of weeks ago and since then I've been playing about with different materials and building a jig so I can make my own front subframes. Result.

My old man bought a MIG set from a mate because he fancied learning to weld but hasn't found the time. To be fair it was a bit of an ask for a 75 year old who would rather be on the golf course. That set is looking like coming my way. It's not great from advice I've had but it'll do for what I want to do for now.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well done mate. Hat off to you for going to college and gaining another qualification. Do you think you will be taking it further to get a level 2.
==============================Enter the Darkside
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm Well done mate. Hat off to you for going to college and gaining another qualification. Do you think you will be taking it further to get a level 2.
That or learn TIG. All the courses are full until September so I've time to decide.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Just keep at it, you'll have to put a lot of time and effort into it to become confident and proficient.
To do all the different types of welding in all positions takes a long time, it wont happen in just a few weeks, I've been lucky enough to always been welding as part of my 40+ years in engineering, trust me you do have to put the time in, stick at it and you'll get there, plus as you mention in this day and age of technology it's so nice and rewarding to learn a craft, get back to basic stuff and create something yourself with your own hands.
It's so easy for people to just go and buy things these days without even thinking if they could make it or not, I try and make as much of my own stuff as possible, it's much more rewarding.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 pm Well, that's me done. Health and Safety tested passed tonight so I'm now an NVQ Level 1 qualified MIG welder. Well. I will once the City and Guilds bod ratifies my marks.

Final test piece was an open corner filet. Which seemed like the easiest of the lot.
DSC_0253.JPG
Well done Nick for putting the effort in to get to this stage :clap:
freeridenick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:40 pm Making things, or at least successfully completing a task, is tremendously rewarding.
I couldn't agree more :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I agree.
Just buying and bolting on parts that someone else has made holds no joy at all.

No, wait a moment... :think:

Anyway, making your own parts is definitely a more fulfilling experience than using an off the shelf part.

Borrowing your idea I looked for a local mig/tig course but there's nothing local in Fe.
One day.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've been back to school again this term, this time learning TIG.

Test pieces all passed, just the theory/health and safety test to go, so I had a little mess around with butt welds on 0.8mm mild. Who'd have thought it, it turns out there's a reason you start with thicker stuff and just turning the power down doesn't mean you won't make it look like a Swiss cheese.

Drop it down a touch next week and a bit less filler and I should get a reasonable weld I think. After following Vara's build I quite like the thought of making my own exhaust.
0.8mm mild
0.8mm mild
3mm mild
3mm mild
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 pm I've been back to school again this term, this time learning TIG.

Test pieces all passed, just the theory/health and safety test to go, so I had a little mess around with butt welds on 0.8mm mild. Who'd have thought it, it turns out there's a reason you start with thicker stuff and just turning the power down doesn't mean you won't make it look like a Swiss cheese.

Drop it down a touch next week and a bit less filler and I should get a reasonable weld I think. After following Vara's build I quite like the thought of making my own exhaust.

DSC_5832.JPG

DSC_5834.JPG
Nice one Nick, I'd be very happy with that 0.8mm mild steel welding :clap:

Chris.