battery charger

General Biker Banter
alanfjones1411

battery charger

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I have a motobatt battery fitted to my bike.Can this be charged with a car battery charger.The charger states that it is suitable for lead acid and most gel types.There is a switch on the charger which goes from standard to sealed batteries.The motobatt battery is sealed so can it be charged safely on the sealed setting.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Re: battery charger

Post by MacV2 »

Hmmm should be OK but there is bound to be an electrickery reason not too. Something along the lines of the amps per hour rating of the charger.

Fek knows TBH... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If in doubt head over to ebay & search for trickle chargers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... er&_sop=15
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Low and slow is the trick Alan.
If you are just topping up a battery so you can start the bike you will probably get away with it for an hour.
BUT if the charger is putting out too much current it could damage the plates in the battery and cause them to buckle. Also, sealed batteries can pop! if you over charge them or do it too rapidly.
If you do try it. Only do a short charge and check the battery doesn't start getting hot.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Does the car charger have a 'bike' setting to charge the battery at 1.4 — 2 a/h ?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Wicky wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am Does the car charger have a 'bike' setting to charge the battery at 1.4 — 2 a/h ?
No. My battery isn't flat but it spun over real slow yesterday but it hadn't been started for6 weeks.Just checking really.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:51 pm
Wicky wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am Does the car charger have a 'bike' setting to charge the battery at 1.4 — 2 a/h ?
No. My battery isn't flat but it spun over real slow yesterday but it hadn't been started for6 weeks.Just checking really.

The Battery. >. https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery

THE BASICS

First things first. A 12-volt battery is not a 12-volt battery. Twelve volts is just a nominal, convenient term used to distinguish one battery from another. A fully-charged 12-volt battery, allowed to “rest” for a few hours (or days) with no load being drawn from it (or charge going to it), will balance out its charge and measure about 12.6 volts between terminals.

When a battery reads only 12 volts under the above conditions, it’s almost fully depleted. Actually, if a battery’s resting voltage is only 12.0 to 12.1 it means only 20 to 25% of its useful energy remains. It’s either a goner or it has been deep cycled, and a battery can only be deep-cycled a limited number of times before it is indeed dead.

Recommend if you're leaving it for six weeks or so to charge it up regularly with a m/c charger at very low a/h to ensure battery longevity.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Thanks wicky. Gave it a 80 mile run yesterday when it started. Used the bike this afternoon and battery is holding charge.