New VTR1000??

General Biker Banter
rfwarrior

New VTR1000??

Post by rfwarrior »

Did anyone notice the last line in the Motorcycle.com article on Honda's new direct injection V-Twin? "Looking at plans for a new Honda VTR1000".

StormyRob

Re: New VTR1000??

Post by StormyRob »

If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It would be brilliant if it happened :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Interesting.
I'd guess that the design is halfway house between an NC and a race bike.
With the blower and airbox there will be even less normal fuel tank space available, even with the now-usual Honda mass-centralisation fuel tank partly under the seat.
So I think they'll be focused more on fuel efficiency than outright power. 16 litre tank, but 50 mpg plus.
They have car engines that will do that easily enough.

I'd also expect a single side can, but it will have to be huge. Unlike a turbo a blower doesn't quieten the exhaust volume at all.
They might go for 800cc rather than a thousand; there's no legacy left in the VTR model so no reason to try to market it as a direct development.
Bet it's harder to tune than a Storm, though, with all of the electronics they'll need to make it run ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 am
Bet it's harder to tune than a Storm, though, with all of the electronics they'll need to make it run ok.
Back before all the electronics and euro this and that you could bolt on an end can and gain maybe 5 hp, now days with big cats fitted that do most of the silencing you don't get a gain from the can. The new equivalent of the 5hp end can is an ECU re flash, costs about the same as a can, it can unleash a good few hp, remove or lessen fuel cut (snatchy throttle) adjust fueling, remove speed limiters, raise rev ceiling, alter fan cut in and probably lots more.. No need for a power commander anymore as long as there's reputable software for the re flash (eg woolich racing), you need to dyno to get it all done right not just send your ecu off.. A full system will give more than fitting a full system on a Storm as the cat will be removed, but will only work properly with the re flash. As for engine tune you could do the usual stuff and see the usual gains. Lots of modern bikes are being fitted with very short exhaust systems, the trouble here with after market systems is being short they are very loud so a long system as a replacement would be desirable.

So all in I'd say it'll probably be a bit easier than a Storm to tune...but not at home :wink:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s