Wasps

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Re: Wasps

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 pm Dress up in full leathers with gloves and helmet on (visor down) and scarf.

Nuke em from orbit with a couple of three cans of spray

I agree with Wicky's idea of the PPE, unless you just hapen to have a bee keepers outfit at hand.

Get a can of Wasp Nest Destroyer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... r&_sacat=0

The foam spray type not the powder.

Get as close as you can & spray the lot in the hole they use the most for ingress.

If you need to use a ladder...Just be very carefull & don't freak out if they come for you & step back to get away...your on a bloody ladder !

It is quite wet so depending on what your cealing inside is made of you might want to move stuff away from directly underneath.

If you have a pond do not get any of the foam in the pond, the can will probably have a harmful to fish symbol in the warning bit. Same for any powder versions BTW.

Also this is best done either eary morn or late eve.

The wasp nest this time of year is dying off now, the queen is probably dead, all the larve are now the next years queens & the fertille males...(one job wasps, shag a female wasp & die...)...The pregers queens now fly off to overwinter to emerge from the stasis & start to make a new nest. So the worker wasps are now out of a job & seek out food for themselves, jam sandwij's, fallen fruit ect

Wasp's don't reuse old nest but can still use the same location to buils a new one, just pot luck if they do.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It's almost the end of the wasp season now, the queen is dead, the larve have metamorphed into the fertile male wasps & next seasons queens...

The only ones left are the out of work workers...

Thing is these nests your finding now have been there all summer... :lol:

Wasps IMO get a bad press as without them your gardens would be a mass of aphids & suchlike...That's what they prey on to take back to the nest to feed the larve.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks for the info fellas, I shot out first thing this morning to the local garden centre and,,, cut a long story short am standing on a ladder in full motorcycle gear, spray in hand, when one of the little buggers walks across the inside of the shut visor....don't know how it got in , but does anyone know how to get urine stains out of leather trousers,,,, Oh yea the neighbours enjoyed my little dance and think I'm Nuts

Ride safe all, and look out for them ...wasps!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

ChrisC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 am Thanks for the info fellas, I shot out first thing this morning to the local garden centre and,,, cut a long story short am standing on a ladder in full motorcycle gear, spray in hand, when one of the little buggers walks across the inside of the shut visor....don't know how it got in , but does anyone know how to get urine stains out of leather trousers,,,, Oh yea the neighbours enjoyed my little dance and think I'm Nuts

Ride safe all, and look out for them ...wasps!!
:lol: :lol: