Ouch - KTM highside

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Ouch - KTM highside

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I got a little too cocky on slimy roads yesterday afternoon. Clutch lever/MC and gear lever fecked. Bars all over the place and exhaust hanger bent. Quite a few scuffs, on me, helmet, bike and clothes. May have done my ribs but plenty of opioid derivatives are maintaining partial function. I would really like to be able to cough....

A very quiet country road but a nice man stopped and gave me a push while I hit the starter in 1st gear. Made the 5 miles back to Hexham but couldn't get though the traffic and abandoned the thing about a mile from home.

Pics coming when I can.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Re: Ouch - KTM highside

Post by MacV2 »

Damm...Girly coughs is the only way, only need to panic if you start coughing up blood...

Avoid laughing or sneezing, particularly the sneezing!

Take a tip from me, don't lie down, it's a bugger to get back up... :lol: :lol:

I spent the first 2 to 3 weeks sleeping in an armchair, still a bugger to get yourself up out of it however...

One thing they didn't tell me till the 2nd follow up visit some 6 weeks after the breaking of my ribs was that you should periodical take real deep breaths, slow & deep to get air into the deepest parts of your lungs...despite the pain...

Take it easy & heal up quick...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Ouch,damaged ribs are very painfull and don't tend to heal very quick.The bike is easily repaired.Just take it slowly and let nature take it's course.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

That's a bugger Ian.
Hope you mend quickly.

Malt, malt and more malt required.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope the pain eases soon.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Someone once said "laughter is the best medicine" well it bloody isn't in this case, hope you mend ASAP
ChrisC :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Dam...you don't sound to good Kermet. Take whatever drugs needs be but don't forget they only mask over things so don't go overdoing things while buzzing. The injuries will still be there and require rest.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry to hear of your off Kermit. I hope you recover as quick as possible,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So, what upgrades do you have in mind?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Gave in to the pain. Went to a&e. Triage, ECG and the rest. Just been transferred to main hospital for an x-ray and a CT scan. Being given oral morphine, yippee! Helps with the boredom.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Still sitting here waiting for a scan. Entertainment provided by IV paracetamol. Hartman solution and IV morphine. 6 hours so far...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Oh crap! Sorry to hear about your mishap Ian.
Hope the Doc finds nothing untowards and the nurses insist on a bed bath :D

Update us when you can :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Sorry to see this Ian. Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Thanks for the messages guys.

After 8 hours in the two hospitals they proclaimed that I had no broken bones. The clicking and crunching from my ribs is obviously imaginary. I have no internal injuries or bleeds. The bike is also in pretty good shape. It's a dirt bike, they are designed to be dropped. A new gear lever, straighten the pipe and reassemble the clutch MC is all that's needed.

I feel like sh1t though. I've had a few painful ones in my time but I think this takes the prize. The pain, along with the lung congestion is a bugger.

The local hospital in Hexham were fantastic. Really on the ball but, since there was a possibility of internal bleeding (I take anti-coagulants) they shipped me off the the main central Northumberland hospital in Cramlington which, efficiency wise, was piss poor. I had a bad turn on Sunday night and had to call an ambulance which arrived in less than 10 minutes. They got my SATs back up and breathing reasonably and offered to take me back to Cramlington. I declined the offer.

So, it's HTFU and get on with it. Just pleased it was 45per on a dirt bike and not "normal" speed on the Storm.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Ouch - KTM highside

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry you're feeling so bad Ian. Some times it's not the speed, it's just the way you land. On the bright side at least they haven't found anything untoward and you escaped with your tackle in tacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal