My first VTR and How I May Have Made a Big Mistake...

General Biker Banter
eatpasta

Re: My first VTR and How I May Have Made a Big Mistake...

Post by eatpasta »

agentpineapple wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 am I had a similar fluid leak, took ages to find it, I even ran my bike without the fuel tank and airbox to see if I could see the leak, as it was coming from the top of the engine.
in the end a friend found it, on the underside of the carbs, i'll ask him exactly what it was because I've already forgotten doh!!!
Thanks, mate! That would be a huge help!

:thumbup:
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There is a small hose running from the rear of the front head that is usually the culprit.
The coolant then runs into the vee between the cylinders and leaks both sides, mostly right when running but drips left when on the sidestand.

Airbox and carbs off to be able to see it.
Usually just tightening the hose clamps does the job.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 am There is a small hose running from the rear of the front head that is usually the culprit.
The coolant then runs into the vee between the cylinders and leaks both sides, mostly right when running but drips left when on the sidestand.

Airbox and carbs off to be able to see it.
Usually just tightening the hose clamps does the job.
That sounds like a royal pain.... :lol:

that would make a little sense about my overheating too if the cooling system wasnt pressurized.... hmmm

I have a newborn at the moment so its gunna be tough to get ANYthing done a bike.

I've got to rebuild a carb on an XR650L as well - the work is just piling up!!

:beer:
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You don't need to disconnect the hoses from the carbs, just the cables.
You can have the job done in an hour.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm You don't need to disconnect the hoses from the carbs, just the cables.
You can have the job done in an hour.
Noted.

Thanks for the extra help!!

:biggrin
T. S. Eliot
xeris

Post by xeris »

The coolant leak you're having might be from the radiator reserve tank. My was leaking from split in the seam. Though mine only leaked on the right side of the bike, so maybe not in your case.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

xeris wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 pm The coolant leak you're having might be from the radiator reserve tank. My was leaking from split in the seam. Though mine only leaked on the right side of the bike, so maybe not in your case.
I need to get the tank and the airbox out to check it out. It's not leaking anymore and it seems like the bike is operating within normal temps (~220 max).

I was actually hoping that my office was going to send me to LA this week so I could give it another flogging but one of my co workers is taking the duty.

Soon, perhaps.

The bike did handle a weekend flog pretty well! I had a blast going from gas station to gas station
T. S. Eliot