GBM & Big Jim

General Biker Banter
Kev L

GBM & Big Jim

Post by Kev L »

Anyone heard from either of the chaps lately?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Re: GBM & Big Jim

Post by MacV2 »

Saddly not I have e-mailed GBM but not had a reply...some while ago as well... :(
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Happy b'day fellas wherever your hiding.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hope they're both ok
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Big Jim is still active on the VFR forum.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers fella :thumbup:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kev L wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm Hope they're both ok
+1 :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think Big Jim lurks in the background. Last time I saw him post IIRC was on somebody's thread who mentioned his rebuild thread being useful and Jim replied to it. As for GBM he's either got himself locked up or dead :lol: Now if that don't get his attention I don't know what will. Maybe Grumpy has some info on GBM or maybe GBM is Grumpy :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Hell no, If anyone of you has every met GBM you will know that him and I are not the same. he's unique. A fine specimen of Scottish mountain man.
I'm over his way next month. will see if I can swing round his place to see if he is in.

GRUMPYfrog.....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

OK, I am here!!

I have been a bit busy. Both my parents passed at the end of February. Before that my time was taken up with pretty much daily visits and after they were gone I had the estate to settle. I went from having parents, that I had always had, to being a orphan. It is a very strange feeling and I have been dealing with the fallout. (Sometimes not too well I'll admit.)

In that vein I quit one of my jobs (the highest paying one). Life is too short to be a yes man.

I have not been idle. I have had a chance to ride some. The VTR gets a fair amount of exercise. I have a very nice road (curvy for Texas) that I take the Storm on when the mood is on me. It is about 50 miles round trip and good for a quick getaway. The VFR gets ridden further just because it has a huge tank and will cover a lot more ground than the VTR.

I bought this:

A 1995 Honde CB1000 Big One. I have always wanted one. I don't know why. It was rashed and wrecked with a huge fist sized dent in the left side of the tank. It had been sitting for years so I got it running and did the PMs. I sold my TL125 to pay for the paint and the body work and it's ready for tags and inspecting tomorrow.

Yes, I do lurk a bit. I want you to know that if I win the lottery I am have the lot of you over for Bar-B-Que and a ride somewhere.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good to know that you are still around Jim.Sorry to hear about the loss of your parents,it's a horrible experience dealing with the outfall of such a loss.Keep your chin up and think of all the good times that were had with them (hurry up and win the lottery).
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Good to see your still around Jim...

Really sorry to hear of your loss...

As said keep your chin up & in darker days think of all the good times you had with your Ma & Pa.

Keep strong & keep the black hoops on the pavement...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good to hear your heads above water Jim....so sorry to hear of your loss big man....
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey Jim,

I know how you feel, I lost my Mom in April and my Dad 12 years ago, I have siblings and am still dealing with the fallout.

My VTR is my distraction and has helped me to deal with the reality of no parents.

Good to see that your well and as previously stated, hurry up and win the lottery mate.

Enjoy the " New " bike and let us know how you go.

Cheers From Down Under

Ken :wave:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

kenmoore wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am Hey Jim,

I know how you feel, I lost my Mom in April and my Dad 12 years ago, I have siblings and am still dealing with the fallout.

My VTR is my distraction and has helped me to deal with the reality of no parents.

Good to see that your well and as previously stated, hurry up and win the lottery mate.

Enjoy the " New " bike and let us know how you go.

Cheers From Down Under

Ken :wave:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It has been a bit of a shock to go from having my parents as a big part of my life to just not. As much as losing parents is hard on a personal level, it's a lot like losing a job. One minute you are busy and you have a purpose and then next minute not so much.

My bikes are my distraction too. It has been raining almost nonstop here. This is strange because it usually doesn't rain in Texas, in August. I is usually hot and bone dry. Now it's hot but it feels like Africa. I tell you this because I had planned to take the CB1000 up to get its inspection and its tags today. It rained all night last night and this morning the ground, from the shop to the road, was a nasty muddy mess. I managed to get the bike out by first identifying a path on higher ground and then carefully nursing it along feet down. (Its a big bike if you slip with it.) After that the inspection and tags were a bit anticlimactic. By the way, our inspections here are a joke next to an MoT. They look at the lights, turn signal and check the horn and tire tread. Done! The guys at the service center loved the Big One and why not. It is a handsome beast.

The good news is it runs and gets down the road. It’s comfortable if not a tad top heavy. It is a pretty torque motor. The bad is the fueling is not right. I know the carbs need to be synced again (sigh!) At cruise in first gear it poots and pops. It acts like it falls on its face a bit when you grab a handful of throttle. I think it may be running lean. It has a pretty open aftermarket can so I need to put a jet kit in it to set things right.

Thanks again guys. I'll keep you posted and I'll let you know when I hit the lotto.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach