Latest forum software update

General Biker Banter
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Latest forum software update

Post by firestorm_al »

Folks,

Apologies for any down time you may have experienced this evening. There is never a good time to do it but I thought I would just go for it on a Friday evening. I have update the forum software to the latest version so we should be right up to date with the latest security updates.

A usual, please let me know if there are any issues with the update. If anyone has any issued loggine in, I have enabled the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum page to make it easier to ask for help. Please keep in mind that I only periodically check the admin email address mailbox so don't be offended of it takes many many days for me to get back to you.

Thanks,

Al.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Latest forum software update

Post by sirch345 »

Everything seems to be working fine :D

Thanks Al, good work :thumbup:

One thing that may be helpful for others is, I only had the narrow version when in the "Board Index" so it needed the settings changed for wide viewing on a large pc screen, I doubt it would be noticeable on a tablet or mobile phone. Go to the "User Control Panel" and change the settings at the bottom, then hit "Submit" ( "Use Maximum Width") as below:-

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Some nice little tweaks with this update. Some interesting text additions and a few others to the toolbar. I wonder if html5 video is embedded now. I like the hide from guests feature. Thanks Al
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

First bug spotted with responsive layout. Browser used is Firefox ESR 52.2.1

Zoomed at 150% and is worse at lower percentages

But at 170% plus it's OK
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Bugger i was just getting the hang of the old one that was updated. lol i need to retire
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

being over 50 now. i see lots of pretty colours and things i dont understand but its all working for me :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
hallie

Post by hallie »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:13 am First bug spotted with responsive layout. Browser used is Firefox ESR 52.2.1

Zoomed at 150% and is worse at lower percentages

But at 170% plus it's OK
As Chris said above change settings to use max width will sort it. :thumbup:
TIP; Never take a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night
http://morrisonbhp.net/
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Test

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

hallie wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am As Chris said above change settings to use max width will sort it. :thumbup:
Oh no it doesn't. All that does is maximise the width of the container <div id="wrap" class="wrap"> on the body of the page. It makes no difference to the the elements on the page when resizing. Anyhow I like a bit of white space either side of a site in my browser window. I don't need edge to edge browsing but with old eyes on a smaller screen I like to zoom especially where default font size is small. :wink:

Nice one wicky. Good to see improvements with video :thumbup:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

It is an issue with the base forum template.

It isn't just a Firefox issue as it appears using Chrome as well.

Al.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh the fun and games of the cascade :lol: Pain in the butt to chase down and sort out little things like that. Oh well it can't be helped, there is no such thing as 100% perfect in this industry especially when things are updated and there is a mix of old and new. It may fix itself in the next update.

I tell you what Al...you've done well mate. When you think back to what this forum was like a few years back. The header image was a mess, we now have that looking perfect, we're https, video plays in html5 and none of that having to delete bits of the youtube url to get it to work. A much cleaner interface with a few nice additions to the toolbar and a more harmonising colour scheme all round not to mention the security updates gone on in the background :clap: :clap: :clap:

The only thing missing IMO is to make use of usergroup permissions. I think the sales and wants should be blocked out of site to new users until they reach the 50. This would stop new users seeing things and then posting willy nilly rubbish to get to 50 posts along with the the why cant I post in sales and wants threads along with attempts to purchase something by dropping hints as well as the general public seeing the stuff posted in the eBay thread. It would also be nice to have an area for users over a certain post count, for example say 500 where one can speak more freely without worry of guest users (general public) seeing the posts. This would be especially helpful when it comes to organising workshop days and folk can post directions or even speak freely about routes and times for planned ride out's without fear of some outside group spying on the forum and then turning up at the destination. Just an idea :wink:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I'm glad you only went up to 500 posts or that would have left me out of some of the topics!

I have only just clocked off after starting work at 6am this morning so will try and digest the rest of your suggestions when I am more compos mentis and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Al.

P.S. I am only a part time code monkey so I have to thank others for the excellent work on the logo! :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

firestorm_al wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm Image
It is an issue with the base forum template.

It isn't just a Firefox issue as it appears using Chrome as well.

Al.
Further to this I thought I would try out of interest logging in using my Firefox browser on my desktop pc, as I use Opera browser most of the time and that's based on Chrome, but luckily I'm not experiencing this problem in Opera.
Interestingly I'm not experiencing this problem in Firefox 54.0 either. I'm running O/S Windows 10 version 1703.

On another note, I agree with Carl, this forum has come a long way in the last few years :clap: :clap:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm glad you only went up to 500 posts or that would have left me out of some of the topics!
It was only a number pulled out of the bag as an example. The sales and wants one I think would most certainly be a good idea and I would have thought it would be a pretty easy automated process that once members reach the 50 limit get access to that area. Probably a boolean operator attached to members accounts. I do wonder how many guest members spy on our ebay thread which then possibly affects bargains to be had. Food for thought anyway :thumbup:
I use Opera browser most of the time and that's based on Chrome, but luckily I'm not experiencing this problem in Opera
I have no issues in Opera 44 either. FYI Firefox's engine is Gecko based with elements of Chrome rather than WebKit for rendering pages. All these diffrent rendering engines for layout is what makes sites behave differently with diffrent browsers.

I noticed we have the option to add titles to links now rather than have to manually code it. :D
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:06 pm Everything seems to be working fine :D

Thanks Al, good work :thumbup:

One thing that may be helpful for others is, I only had the narrow version when in the "Board Index" so it needed the settings changed for wide viewing on a large pc screen, I doubt it would be noticeable on a tablet or mobile phone. Go to the "User Control Panel" and change the settings at the bottom, then hit "Submit" ( "Use Maximum Width") as below:-

thanks for this
what a difference I have been looking at the narrow version since joining