Speeding...

General Biker Banter
Watty

Re: Speeding...

Post by Watty »

Stratman wrote:
alanfjones1411 wrote:I just done the speed awareness course last Friday. 35mph in a 30 mph
I was snapped early one morning at the same speed/limit on an empty A road. Ho hum, but at least I have the course in September and no points. I must remember to keep looking down at my speedo at all times and plough through any errant pedestrians who might dart out.
Exactly mate!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

or run into the back of a car and bruise your plums!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You have done the crime...pay the fine... :roll:
The government and local authorities are the biggest criminals of the lot. This is legalised mugging. Now if your doing 30 over the limit then fair enough your speeding...but 1mph or even 10 -20....come on. Their taking the piss. All these camera's and speeding fines are simply a form of stealth tax earning them money. As I said legalised mugging. They are no better than a youth on a pushbike that grabs your mobile phone off you as they cycle past. The only difference is that one has the law on their side. Who are they to say what we can and can't do. If and that's a big IF anyone is involved in and accident and injures someone else or worse then nick them and be severe with penalties / sentencing....a lot more. Filipino style if needs be. On our head be it. That's the risk one takes. This country is too concerned with making money and for bigger things giving weak sentences. The threat of severe sentencing, fines or whatever should be all that is required. Just think of the money saved in paperwork alone so everyone wins. Not to mention the time and resources being put to better use elsewhere like catching those out steeling vehicles and using them for worse crimes.
==============================Enter the Darkside
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

100% agree with you there. Number of cameras in areas where there's very low risk of accidents but perfect for the van to pick you up at a distance.
I work with a lot of Swedish folk.
Fines only for % above the limit, but they are high fines. And court with bans if your driving like a fanny.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

To be fair (and I don't totally disagree that it's daylight robbery, and furthermore I thought mobile cameras were supposed to be clearly visible), there's been at least one fatal bike accident in the last few months on the exact stretch of road I was caught on.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

So, I requested the photos of my alleged offence, and here they are:

I've been thinking about it and although I would certainly have been exceeding 60 by a bit here, I'm not sure it was by as much as 14 mph (which on the Storm would probably be just under 80 indicated?). I notice the cross-hair on the top photo is just off to the right of my numberplate - can the lack of flat surface and/or the spinning wheel affect the reading? Is this worth contesting? I would have thought the white lines on the road (which are actually just normal dotted white lines for each direction, not speed camera markings - that's just the photo foreshortening them) would be able to be used to proove my speed, and wonder if they've done this or whether they'd only do this if it went to court.
podman

Post by podman »

If you was on 12 or 9 points, MAYBE worth contesting it, aside from that, I think you would be digging yourself a big hole with the aid of a very large JCB...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jchesshyre wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm So, I requested the photos of my alleged offence, and here they are:

I've been thinking about it and although I would certainly have been exceeding 60 by a bit here, I'm not sure it was by as much as 14 mph (which on the Storm would probably be just under 80 indicated?). I notice the cross-hair on the top photo is just off to the right of my numberplate - can the lack of flat surface and/or the spinning wheel affect the reading? Is this worth contesting? I would have thought the white lines on the road (which are actually just normal dotted white lines for each direction, not speed camera markings - that's just the photo foreshortening them) would be able to be used to proove my speed, and wonder if they've done this or whether they'd only do this if it went to court.

Re the markings...it depends on the camera systme being used, some need the markings, two flashes two pics, maths works out the distance covered...

Others use radar. no flash...no markings.

I speed, I've been caught...but sorry on a wet/damp road I'd be going a tad slower & give a lot more room to the vehical infront...

Oh and those white markings don't look like normal lane dividers to me, that will be the solid white lines, note how the ones on the left are to the left of the line, the ones on the right are to the right...

Slam dunk IMO... :Banned: If you go down the appeal route you may find yourself with a bigger fine...

If your lucky & get offered the course take it...bit more £'s than the fine but no points so a result.

However it may be that you get a summons straight off IMO due to the conditions...

If you do get a summons or choose to go to court...Get a breif on the case & use one that knows the traffic laws inside out...Oh & ware a whistle n flute...not a tracksuit... :lol:

This condesending but helpful post is brought to you from an experienced user of the wonderful British court system... :lol:

Traffic offences only I swear your Honour...

Oh & one last thing...When they ask your religon to sware you in...Even if your not religious in any way shape or form say CofE*...I once said 'I'm an Athiest...' The clerk of the court had this look of horror come across her face, paused for a bit whilst I assume she tried to remmember what to do next, befor just makeing me sware to tell the whole truth ect without the god bit...

* of course Jedi is an option but I wouldn't recomend it...In fact go for Yidish apprently they get better grub in the slammer... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The main problem you have is that they have heard every possible excuse and already have all the answers.Maybe it's best to bite the bullet and take the consequences.???
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha I think that is what I'm going to have to do.

And Mac I appreciate your advice, cheers :)

By normal lane dividers I mean normal for that type of lane arrangement, as opposed to the tick marks you sometimes get for speed cameras - I should have said but it's one of those now quite rare setups where the central lane can be used for overtaking by traffic in either direction. There was nothing coming the other way, incidentally.

See here for the location: https://goo.gl/maps/UsumMfErp4o (although they've since changed the crash barriers and added the extra solid line on the left, presumably to stop people coming down the hill using the third lane!).

I don't know the specs for those dashes but as you can see in this street view photo they're much longer and more widely spaced than they look in the speed cam footage, so I am not as close to the Golf as it looks - there's a lot of foreshortening going on and I have about nine of the dashes between it and myself. I hope they allow for this! But you're right though, I should still have been further back.

So I'll just have to see what they say for now.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Should have gone the other way afterwards to cancel out the total speed...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well I'm (relatively) pleased to say that I've been offered a straightforward £100 + 3 points or a speed awareness course. *breathes (still slightly disgruntled) sigh of relief*
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 pm Well I'm (relatively) pleased to say that I've been offered a straightforward £100 + 3 points or a speed awareness course. *breathes (still slightly disgruntled) sigh of relief*
You lucky bas*ard!

Take the course & run...but not to quick... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lucky boy ... is the course option more expensive than the fine still? it was when I got one 5 or more yrs ago.

Back then you had to do the course in the same region you were caught in!!!!!!! so I had to get to north wales for 9am ........ I went up the M6 but I may have had to go above the limit to get there on time :lol: but on the way back I was much more aware of my speed
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It cost me £97:00 for the course or i could have paid £100:00 +3 points for opting out of the course. No brainier really as I'm retired and got F.A else to do all day.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN