Speeding...

General Biker Banter
eatpasta

Re: Speeding...

Post by eatpasta »

I have Britain question about speeding for the floor.

I know there are lots of vans and cameras etc but are there places that you know you can go and ride a bit more quickly?

Obviously the main highways are going to be much more carefully watched, but when I want to go for a ride, I always hit up my favorite B roads where there is significantly less enforcement.

Is it the same out there?

I do know this is why track days are so popular across the pond.... but then again I only believe what Jeremy Clarkson says so...

:biggrin
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

The Isle of Man?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Another question. If you get caught for speeding and take the points and the fine I presume you should tell your insurance company? Does this apply if you take a speed awareness course instead of the points and fine?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm Another question. If you get caught for speeding and take the points and the fine I presume you should tell your insurance company?Does this apply if you take a speed awareness course instead of the points and fine?
Yes and No

Do I need to declare a speed awareness course to my insurer?

Why a speed awareness course could hike up your insurance premiums
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It states on my course completion letter that I do not have to declare it as no offence has occurred as it's not a police offence once course has been done.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Wicky wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:11 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm Another question. If you get caught for speeding and take the points and the fine I presume you should tell your insurance company?Does this apply if you take a speed awareness course instead of the points and fine?
Yes and No

Very helpful. Thank you.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

eatpasta wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm I have Britain question about speeding for the floor.

I know there are lots of vans and cameras etc but are there places that you know you can go and ride a bit more quickly?

Obviously the main highways are going to be much more carefully watched, but when I want to go for a ride, I always hit up my favorite B roads where there is significantly less enforcement.

I do know this is why track days are so popular across the pond.... but then again I only believe what Jeremy Clarkson says so...

same here, B roads are less policed, but they do know where the bikers go so sunny weekends in mid wales can be a risk. but the further north you go there is less population and more fun can be had... again staying away from the main A roads and go to the smaller A roads (these have a longer number like A726, if it only has 1 or 2 digits (A5 or A76 etc) it is a heavy use main road)
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:32 pm
Wicky wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:11 pm
Yes and No

Very helpful. Thank you.
Yes, likewise, thank you. I mean, I had no intention of telling my insurers about my speed awareness course, but it's good to know that it's OK not to :p
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm
eatpasta wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm I have Britain question about speeding for the floor.

same here, B roads are less policed, but they do know where the bikers go so sunny weekends in mid wales can be a risk. but the further north you go there is less population and more fun can be had... again staying away from the main A roads and go to the smaller A roads (these have a longer number like A726, if it only has 1 or 2 digits (A5 or A76 etc) it is a heavy use main road)
Yeah, although I've yet to have the joy of riding in Scotland (other than very briefly when I had a CB250 towards the end of my time studying in Edinburgh) a mate of mine says he goes bananas up there on the smaller A roads and never sees a speed van.
eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm

I have a couple mates that live in/around London and one of my bucket list items is to do a few weekend, back-roads rides in GB....and of course the pilgrimage to Isle of Man.

....someday!
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

London is the arsehole of Britain. It's pretty crappy for riding bikes as well. Take yourself about 350 miles north and you will be amazed.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:48 pm London is the arsehole of Britain. It's pretty crappy for riding bikes as well. Take yourself about 350 miles north and you will be amazed.
To be fair (and I agree with you), there are some very good roads in Essex and Suffolk that are easy to get to from north-east London.