eezee29

Re: Stormrider in Singapore

Post by eezee29 »

noted Sir, thank you very much :thumbup:
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:58 am Wow Singapore We need pics. Come on...lets see the bike then. so you have gone for the extra extra ultra lightened flywheel then of 4lb 4 oz. Have you got access to a rattle gun as you will need it to get the flywheel bolt off. That's the safest way to do it. Don't go trying to jam the drive sprocket or holding the clutch basket or some other method like lump of wood between the rear wheel and frame and using a big breaker bar on the bolt as IMO that puts a lot of strain on engine components. Man...your in for a surprise when you ride the bike with that on. :biggrin
+1 for the impact wrench. I found a second hand Clarke one on fleabay and it took the nut off in less then 5 seconds. On an engine with no heads and resting on a workbench out of the frame. Should make short work of the other three.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Whilst I think using an impact wrench is a great way to remove the flywheel bolt, one query though, can you re-torque the flywheel bolt back up to the correct torque value using an impact wrench :?:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv had flywheels on and off more times than my knickers. a few good sharp cracks and mine have always came of easy and stayed on when iv replaced them :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 am iv had flywheels on and off more times than my knickers. a few good sharp cracks and mine have always came of easy and stayed on when iv replaced them :thumbup:
Yeah & Stormy told me ya knickers are much the same... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I found a second hand Clarke one
I have the same one. They are really good for money. I read loads of reviews on them first.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p330335
can you re-torque the flywheel bolt back up to the correct torque value using an impact wrench :?:
you can't get the exact torque but you can rest assured it's on tight. If anything you have to be careful not to overtighten it too much. Mind you IIRC the specific torque is a stupidily massive amount anyway so it would be hard to overtighten to the point of causing damage. The way I see it it's no different from when a garage puts wheel nuts back on cars with a rattle gun rather that torque up to the required amount. Try undoing it when you get a puncture and want to put the spare wheel on :lol: How many folk have had to call the breakdown services for that one :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:18 am
I found a second hand Clarke one
I have the same one. They are really good for money. I read loads of reviews on them first.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p330335
can you re-torque the flywheel bolt back up to the correct torque value using an impact wrench :?:
you can't get the exact torque but you can rest assured it's on tight. If anything you have to be careful not to overtighten it too much. Mind you IIRC the specific torque is a stupidily massive amount anyway so it would be hard to overtighten to the point of causing damage. The way I see it it's no different from when a garage puts wheel nuts back on cars with a rattle gun rather that torque up to the required amount. Try undoing it when you get a puncture and want to put the spare wheel on :lol: How many folk have had to call the breakdown services for that one :eek2
The specified torque is 157Nm which as you say is massive. The problem I see it that some of these 1/2" drive impact wrenches claim torque figures of much higher values. The Clark CIR220 24V claim max torque 220Nm and a Kielder KWT-002-06 18V claims a whopping max of 430Nm so you need to be a bit careful IMHO.
Yes I remember garages over tightening wheel nuts :) although air impact wrenches can be adjusted with a regulator valve in the airline. A good tyre fitters should finish off tightening the wheel nuts with a torque wrench,

Chris.
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

lightened flywheel 4lb 4 oz is a thing of beauty thanx to Master Erik....now...I am always the 1st to go off in every traffic light and it just makes u feel like having the throttle open more n more...torque is always yelling "don't go slow" lol...it really suits my style of riding and am enjoying it everytime...even smoked a couple of harleys who kept ramping their bikes at a traffic light.
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol: