touring mileage

General Biker Banter
agentpineapple

touring mileage

Post by agentpineapple »

so i'll be heading back to spain in 2 weeks and i'll be covering in excess of a thousand miles in 48hrs, the mileage doesn't bother me as I've made a few changes to the bike to help with this.
so far the bikes got a comfort seat, 25mm lowered footpegs, a full set of luggage plus tankbag. I've also sorted out a usb power socket for my phone/satnav.
I've also got a tall touring screen. is there anything else that would make the journey easier or more tolerable :roll:
i'm planning for two 500 mile days, although i'll possibly push the mileage on the first day, as on the second day i'll be riding through the pyrenee's. it'll be a tough first day tho.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
grumpyfrog

Re: touring mileage

Post by grumpyfrog »

Omni cruise control.
Saw Bazza with one last year, purchased one myself and now never leave the house without it.
It's so small but so great at just giving your right hand a rest for a few moments.
Yes it's not as good as electric controls but great none the less.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

A Camelbak. Suck on the move.

Stuart, I bought one of those Omni-things after I saw yours. I'm struggling to get to grips with it. Expensive but very nicely made. Mind you, 1000 miles should be enough to become familiar.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

am I right in thinking this is one of those moulded plastic thingys that fit around the throttle grip, if so I've seen them as cheap as a few quid.
worth a try for a few quid.... :thumbup:
not bothered about drinking on the go, as there will still be fuel stops every 100ish miles. plenty of time for drinks then.
i'm thinking of an early channel crossing then get 300 miles in before stopping for lunch. then push on after lunch for another 300 or so miles before parking up for the night.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

agentpineapple wrote:is there anything else that would make the journey easier or more tolerable :roll:
Take it in the back of a van..... or, break down and get the AA to take you to the garage of your choice :biggrin
podman

Post by podman »

agentpineapple wrote:am I right in thinking this is one of those moulded plastic thingys that fit around the throttle grip, if so I've seen them as cheap as a few quid.
worth a try for a few quid.... :thumbup:
not bothered about drinking on the go, as there will still be fuel stops every 100ish miles. plenty of time for drinks then.
i'm thinking of an early channel crossing then get 300 miles in before stopping for lunch. then push on after lunch for another 300 or so miles before parking up for the night.
The cheap rocker style cruise control type things are IMHO dangerous , when you throttle off, they interfere with the movement of goung for & using the brake lever, just slightly but in an emergency, that could be critical.

Mine was in the bin by the first services after fitting it.

Camelbacks are a good idea in competition but its easy to keep sipping on it when you dont REALLY need to drink and then you end up desperatley needing a piss before your planned fuel stops ,making your journey longer, taking a wee 5min break when you fuel up n keeping fresh n safe makes for a less fatigued trip IMHO
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

This might sound daft
but wear a pair of boxer shorts which don't have any seams in them. The seam line can really hurt after a few hours in the saddle.
Drink plenty and take some nurofen just in case. Day two can be a bitch :thumbup:
Wish I was doing it too :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sounds like an epic ride tho..... and silly as it sounds pete's right. it does make a difference.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep
Tried it without once, I wouldn't do it again without shaving first :oops:
or you could just do a Mc Womble and knock them off
:twisted: :twisted:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

and DONT be wearing stockings, it cuts the legs of ya :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

my comfort seat makes a big difference, the 300 mile journey to bilbao was easy enough, I could see myself doing 500 to 650, I bet the second day is going to be a bitch, hence wanting it to be a 300-350 mile day.
I think i'll give the cruise control thingy a miss.
i'm going to have to purchase a few bits for the French law, which is an butt. but hey ho.
anymore suggestions guys?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Make sure you carry a spare key...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Wicky wrote:Make sure you carry a spare key...
got that one covered mate..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I use a scottoiler Crampbuster... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scottoiler-Cr ... Swg3FUha8N

It can take a bit of getting used to but does what it says on the box/blisterpack...It will interfer with the brake BUT only if you have it in the wrong position...In normal position it's fine...Just getting used to it is the issue...In fact I dont even know its there so much so I had one on Custard Crumble & it went AWOL poss nicked whilst parked up*...Didn't even notice it was gone... :lol: :lol:

* it come with a large rubber band that goes over the throttle grip & the crampbuster it self goes over that...as both were missing I have to assume that it was purloined rather than fallen off... :lol: :lol:

This is the one Bazza uses...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... .&_sacat=0
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh yeah other top tips...comfortable clothing...As Pete has mentioned his pants already I won't go there...

It stands to reason if other items of your kit are chaffing it wont help long time in the saddle...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...