Anyone in London, Canning Town-ish?

General Biker Banter
Loo Kahs

Anyone in London, Canning Town-ish?

Post by Loo Kahs »

Bike's been out of action for the past two months and with the heat we're having just now... I'm getting slightly tired of cycling into work drenched in my own sweat and nowhere to shower upon arrival :)

:wave:
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agentpineapple

Re: Anyone in London, Canning Town-ish?

Post by agentpineapple »

I won't be in the east end until the 10th of july, if you still need help then, give me a shout
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

agentpineapple wrote:I won't be in the east end until the 10th of july, if you still need help then, give me a shout
Do you live around here, or just visit every so often? And the chances are that I still will :shifty:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Loo Kahs wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:I won't be in the east end until the 10th of july, if you still need help then, give me a shout
Do you live around here, or just visit every so often? And the chances are that I still will :shifty:
i live in spain, but I come back to the uk from time to time fella.
born n bred in east London tho. :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Loo Kahs wrote:Bike's been out of action for the past two months and with the heat we're having just now... I'm getting slightly tired of cycling into work drenched in my own sweat and nowhere to shower upon arrival :)

I believe the issue is air in the brake system, but a 2nd opinion would be appreciated as I'm a noob.

:wave:
Hi mate, I'm based in Hackney.
New to the storm too but not bad at tinkering.
Can come help you bleed the brakes sometime in the next week if that's all you need?
happy to have a look if it's more complicated than that too..
Get hold of a bottle of dot4 brake fluid, I have some tubing and tools..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Got to love this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

uk13iker wrote:Got to love this forum Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

fatfreddy000 wrote:Hi mate, I'm based in Hackney.
New to the storm too but not bad at tinkering.
Can come help you bleed the brakes sometime in the next week if that's all you need?
happy to have a look if it's more complicated than that too..
Get hold of a bottle of dot4 brake fluid, I have some tubing and tools..
Hello :)

Sorry for the delay... I thought I was subscribed to email notifications, but apparently not.

I am away for the following three weekends in July... but other than that I will be here.

Me and my brother have attempted (he claims he knows how) to bleed brakes. And the problem persists. Either he does not actually know, or the problem is somewhere else. I find it just too illogical to understand what it could be.

How come that when the bike is stationary there is fair amount of resistance to the front wheel when brake lever is pulled in... yet if you ride in a straight line and apply it then, barely anything happens? Surely it should be consistant? regardless of whether you are stationary or moving.

Although the previously mentioned problems with one cylinder not always firing had practically gone away once I had ridden the bike for some weeks non stop (after having it stored for half a year)... now that it has been sitting unused for a few months, they seem to be back.

I would very much appreciate if you could have a go on it sometime and just see whether you know what the problems may be?

:angel:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Me and my brother have attempted (he claims he knows how) to bleed brakes. And the problem persists. Either he does not actually know, or the problem is somewhere else. I find it just too illogical to understand what it could be.

How come that when the bike is stationary there is fair amount of resistance to the front wheel when brake lever is pulled in... yet if you ride in a straight line and apply it then, barely anything happens? Surely it should be consistant? regardless of whether you are stationary or moving.
Air in the system still? crack in brake caliper around nipple causing airleak? Try a large catheter syringe and some some hose and sucking the fluid down (top up reservoir often) from the bleed nipples - some folk push the fluid up to the reservoir. Check for small fluid leaks round nipples as overtightning can lead to a micro cracks aloowing air in hydraulic system.

When were brakes last fully serviced i.e seals and pistons?
Although the previously mentioned problems with one cylinder not always firing had practically gone away once I had ridden the bike for some weeks non stop (after having it stored for half a year)... now that it has been sitting unused for a few months, they seem to be back.
Give the carbs a thorough clean as fuel could possibly have evaborated leaving them gummed up. Drain carbs if leaving bike stored up for a significant amount of time.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

your brake issue sounds like it could be a disk problem... if the disks are buckled or running out of true for some reason, they will push the pads back when you are riding and then you would need to pump the lever more than once to get the pads back into contact with the disk.

so if the symptoms are
1) lever feels solid when stationary and you can come back in an hour and it is still the same
2) when riding the lever comes back too far the first time you use it, but after a 2nd pump works fin
3) some juddering or vibration when braking from high speed

then check the disks for run out
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

AMCQ46 wrote:your brake issue sounds like it could be a disk problem... if the disks are buckled or running out of true for some reason, they will push the pads back when you are riding and then you would need to pump the lever more than once to get the pads back into contact with the disk.

so if the symptoms are
1) lever feels solid when stationary and you can come back in an hour and it is still the same
2) when riding the lever comes back too far the first time you use it, but after a 2nd pump works fin

My thoughts exactly :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am your brake issue sounds like it could be a disk problem... if the disks are buckled or running out of true for some reason, they will push the pads back when you are riding and then you would need to pump the lever more than once to get the pads back into contact with the disk.

so if the symptoms are

Just to close off the thread, you are absolutely right. The front left disc was bent. Who knows how, because one day it was fine and the other not, unless someone bashed it or tried to push the bike off with the disc-lock? If the latter, I wish I knew who so that I could send them the bill.

Brakes are perfect now. I'm still having the problem with engine not running quite right, but I will pick it up in another thread. It's really upsetting me.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if you are around tomorrow, I can come and look to see if there's an issue, if it's carbs, and you can remove them, I can ultrasonically clean them for you foc. but I only have tomorrow free.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

agentpineapple wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 pm if you are around tomorrow, I can come and look to see if there's an issue, if it's carbs, and you can remove them, I can ultrasonically clean them for you foc. but I only have tomorrow free.
That'd be lovely, only thing is I get back from work at 7pm and I don't have a toolkit on me to remove anything.

But if you were ok to come round, at least have a listen or have a go on the bike and see if you can make any sense of it? Perhaps if you are back in London in the future, I could be more prepared and get the carbs off if they were the offenders.

L
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'll be back in sept mate, i'll pm you my email address. if I get the chance, i'll pop round tomorrow at 7pm and have a test ride.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!