Bad news for me tonight

General Biker Banter
VTR Phoenix

Re: Bad news for me tonight

Post by VTR Phoenix »

ATGATT, remember it's not there just to look good.

You sure you don't need a graft? I would still get it checked out for infection though.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Almost exactly a year ago I had a similar crash with similar injuries on my CB5, although the grazes were a fair bit bigger. I went to A&E that time and they said I didn't need a graft. It definitely looks deeper than it is in that picture! I'll be changing the dressing daily and keeping a close eye for signs of infection.

Here's the bike...is it my eyes/camera playing tricks or does the RH fork look bent near the top in the first pic?

My very nice local tyre place picked it up for free (it was down the road from them) and they have an apprentice in at the mo who (under supervision) will take off the broken bits - they're not charging me for this either. They'll then check the alignment of the frame and weld the lug on the frame where the subframe bolts on, which has snapped on the left side of the bike.

So far my list is:
Subframe
Left pillion footrest hanger
Fuel tank
All plastics
RH radiator
RH crankcase cover
Mirrors
Seat
Brake pedal
Throttle twistgrip + bar end weight
Indicators
Clutch lever
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

To me it looks bent inwards?
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Same here :Argue 1:
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Looking at all the damage I would look for a donor bike. Especially is the frame turns out to be twisted.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

One with a knackered engine and swap the engines over like Tony suggested?
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

yes, that I think I saw the best course.of action then at least you have some spares if needed.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry to see this. I'm glad you came off better than the bike did, I think you were fairly lucky seeing you were wearing a pair of jeans, at least you had a half decent jacket on,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks Chris. Yes I was very lucky, also because my visor is scratched to f*** but the helmet's otherwise unmarked, and also I was wearing a rucksack with my laptop, audio interface and headphones in, all of which are unscathed other than two rips in the rucksack.

My fingers are very crossed for the bike being salvageable but at the same time I'm not that hopeful.
macdee

Post by macdee »

that's crap man
good to hear your in relatively ok, hope you get a bike sorted some
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Jeez!
You made a mess of that one! Glad you are here to tell us about it and no broken bones.
I think it was one of the Lowes twins that said " it doesn't count if you can still walk away from it"
Good luck on the frame report

Pete.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Not much i know but i have a left pillion hanger you can have.Every little helps.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote:Thanks Chris. Yes I was very lucky, also because my visor is scratched to f*** but the helmet's otherwise unmarked, and also I was wearing a rucksack with my laptop, audio interface and headphones in, all of which are unscathed other than two rips in the rucksack.

My fingers are very crossed for the bike being salvageable but at the same time I'm not that hopeful.
You think you should do a lottery ticket :wink:

Fingers crossed for you too,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I've just been to my crash site and it's clear why the bike's so f***ed. It slid hard into a kerb and then flipped onto the back end.

Now then. There is, as I suspected there might be, a pretty obvious 2ft wide line of diesel extending for about 3/4 of the way round the roundabout and, not surprisingly, the scratch in the road begins just by this patch. It wasn't visible in the dark with just street lights but in the sunshine it's very visible.

I'm of the understanding that there's nothing you can do about claiming for this unless you can prove that it had been reported prior to the crash and that nothing had been done about it. But does anyone know where I stand with this re. claiming either with my insurers (bearing in mind I only have 3rd party, F + T) or with some other organisation? I'm pretty sure the answer is 'not a chance' but maybe one of you knows more about this than me (which is not difficult).
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I would call the local authority, play dumb and see if it has been reported as if not you would like to report it. They should then tell you if it has already been reported. Then go from there I would say.

I feel if you tell these people why you are calling then they would deny that it has been reported even if it had just to get out of responsibility.