Bad news for me tonight

General Biker Banter
jchesshyre

Bad news for me tonight

Post by jchesshyre »

I managed to bin the bike going too fast round a big (thankfully empty) roundabout tonight, at 50-60mph. I think there was some greasiness on the road. Low-sided it and thankfully damage to me is minimal, confined mostly to an 8in long graze on my right leg.

The bike however is another story: front fairing totally destroyed on the RHS, both Fuel silencers detached and destroyed, rear tail fairing destroyed, rear subframe bent, fuel tank bashed, RH indicators gone, RH handlebar and both mirrors destroyed, clutch cover has large hole, RH radiator sheered off mountings, and I'm quite sure there's more, including possibly a bent frame, as the bike appears to have rolled.

Police attended and breathalysed me! Someone phoned, not sure who.

The worst bit? I only have 3rd party, fire and theft cover.

So it's back to the CB500 for some while : /
lloydie

Re: Bad news for me tonight

Post by lloydie »

Gutted for you .

Rebuild or replace ?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ouch ! 8O

Glad to hear you came off relativly lightly...

As for the bike, as far as the big bit's go I cant help I'm affraid but the smaller items, bars, indi's, std exhausts ect Frank has a good stock.

When you feel up to it, firstly check the frame then make a list of all the bit's you need & post it up...

Chin up...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The main thing is you're up and about.
I have two rear subframes. Also a tatty but useable rear tail plastic.
It's an upgrade opportunity, but cost up scrapping and buying another one.
If you can find one with a lunched engine and swap yours over that may be the cheapest option.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

was it another storm you binned? I know it won't be your rebuild so that's something to be happy about.

I have a couple.of spares if so but nowhere near what Mac's got.

The main thing is your good (just bear in mine it can take a couple of days for the real aches and pains to come out) the bike can always be rebuilt or it's a bloody good reason for a bike of bike shopping.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Sorry to hear about your off. At least you came out of it not too bad. The bike is another story,but the fellas on here all pull together,so there will be lots of help and support :thumbdown:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear your news mate. If you decide to rebuild I've got a rear tail plastic and some alloy cans.probably a few other bits too.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
podman

Post by podman »

AH no, sorry to hear that mate, at least you are (largely) ok...Bikes come and go, at least your hear to tell the tale.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks so much for the lovely messages lads, it makes me feel a lot better. I'd shake each of you by the hand if you were here! I'm so angry with myself because I know roundabouts can be slippery even in the dry as it was.

I'll post some pictures of the bike later when I get it picked up. Assuming the main frame isn't bent or cracked, I'll definitely be repairing it myself and will be very interested in the parts some of you mention you have. I'll post a full list up of bits I need once I've worked it out! Fortunately I have the pair of original silencers that were on the bike when I got it and bought my Fuel Exhausts cans.

Meanwhile the bike will sit in my back yard as a strong visual reminder to me not to be stupid. It'll be fun to spend some time on the CB500 anyway as it's an excellent little bike. It's my 33rd birthday tomorrow and I have today off work and was supposed to be going for a jaunt into Snowdonia, but I'm riding down to Shropshire on Sunday to see my family so that'll be a laugh taking the CB down.

For the plastics, what are your thoughts on kits such as this? http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fairing-Set-For ... 2233668020
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

That sucks..... glad you are reasonably OK

It makes me feel slightly less pissed about getting home last night with £25 worth of curry swimming around in my top box
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jesus thats sh1t news. but as saif at least your walking wounded so thats a plus..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Here's the damage to my leg (a link in case you're squeamish). http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac33 ... 4fg98o.jpg

It looks worse in this photo than it actually is.

Bike pics to follow.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

*Eeeek* what were you wearing at the time?

Sticky scabiness for a while
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Textile armoured jacket but just jeans for trousers (because I'm stupid).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that's a bugger. glad you are mostly OK
AMcQ