General Biker Banter
jchesshyre

Re: Bad news for me tonight

Post by jchesshyre »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hmmmm...sadly I think the diesel I 'saw' this morning was wishful thinking/a trick of the light. I've been back during my lunch hour and there's not really diesel, just some discolouration of the road surface probably down to general deposits etc. So probably this was the cause (combined with too much lean of course) of the lowside but it's certainly not anything I can be claiming for.

The good news is that I went to the shop where the bike is and they've said that the frame is fine other than needing welding where the subframe lug is. They've quoted me £250-350 for all work including the welding which seems pretty reasonable to me. So I need to start fishing around on eBay and on here for the bits I need. I'm already pleasantly surprised by how low the prices are for 2nd-hand parts for this bike. I'll PM those who have mentioned they have bits I need on here. While I was there I found the RH bar-end weight which is slightly scratched but otherwise intact, so there's £7 saved already :lol:

Don't suppose anyone has a RH crankcase aka clutch cover? The water pump cover is fine but the main cover is knackered. There are none on ebay at the moment and new they are £200...

I need to decide what to do about fairings - whether to wait for used bits to appear online or whether to get one of the Chinese ABS kits. I'm quite keen to stay with red but would be up for black if the right bits turned up...

I'll make a separate post in the wanted section so that it's all neatly together.

I took some photos of the scene for your entertainment. Looking at the trajectory makes me realise even more how lucky I was not to hit the kerb that my bike did, or any of the furniture. I ended up in the gutter to the right of the bollard visible below. Granted, most of my speed would have gone by then but it still would not have been good at all.

The first picture shows the point where I went down (see white scratches in the road). The bike hit the kerb where the bollard is and landed some way to the left, namely where the tuft of grass is in the background of the third picture. So now I understand fully how it got in the state it's in.

I had entered the roundabout where the vehicles are entering in the second picture. I'd estimate my speed to have been 60-70mph which, although it's national speed limit here, was (clearly) too fast.

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

You were very lucky that you didn't do more damage to yourself. And..... the police didn't get an accident investigation team out to try to ascertain how it happened, that could have been a whole lot more expensive.

I think if you sit down and add up all the costs involved in repairing and getting back on the road and compare it to getting another storm. Then you have parts to sell (to get some money back) or as spares. I'm actually having a little bid on another one on eBay that I'm hoping is going to go cheap. Needs a few bits and pieces doing but worth the punt.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

VTR Phoenix wrote:You were very lucky that you didn't do more damage to yourself. And..... the police didn't get an accident investigation team out to try to ascertain how it happened, that could have been a whole lot more expensive.
Would they have charged me for that if they'd got an accident investigation team in?!
VTR Phoenix wrote:I think if you sit down and add up all the costs involved in repairing and getting back on the road and compare it to getting another storm. Then you have parts to sell (to get some money back) or as spares. I'm actually having a little bid on another one on eBay that I'm hoping is going to go cheap. Needs a few bits and pieces doing but worth the punt.
Well I'm hoping to get it all covered for about £700-800 max, hopefully a little less, so I do think this is probably the cheaper option. But I do need to work it all out in more detail. I'm moving in with my fiancee at the end of June and already have 'too much crap' so a whole other parts bike hanging around is out of the question - I'm lucky she's letting me in with the two bikes and all the tools and parts I have already. However you're right it may still end up being the better option so I'm not ruling it out!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

if they did an investigation they could work out the rough speed you were doing and then charge for speeding and dangerous/wreckless driving.

It's a risk we all take by stretching the rules.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Im only in leyland mate and I have a scabby rear subframe and a reasonable seat - just a bit of stiching poor on front edge.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The first picture shows the point where I went down (see white scratches in the road). The bike hit the kerb where the bollard is and landed some way to the left,

Image[/quote]

Phew!
Just scratch marks No poop stains. That could have been embarrassing :silent:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hahahaha yes it would.

Only just noticed that the bike hit that post – didn't notice the red marks on it while I was there. (scroll to the right in the last picture if it's not all showing – I had to on my computer). Dayam.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Glad your ok. I think you were lucky, things could have been far worse with poles and kerbs there.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre
you have a PM,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:Glad your ok. I think you were lucky, things could have been far worse with poles
Insert xenophobic or skiing joke here.
I'm fed up with doing all the work.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well I took the subframe (many thanks tony.mon) over to the place where my bike's going to be repaired yesterday, and this Saturday they're welding the lug on the frame where the subframe attaches and installing this new one.

I now either have or have on the way all the other bits I need to at least ride the bike legally. I'm so grateful for the help I've had from members of this board. Things like handlebar weight and fuel tank I will do as and when I can.

So with any luck it may be back on the road in the next fortnight! :clap:

Will post pictures of progress.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Dam....sorry to see this. It's never nice to hear of a fellow biker having an off. You where lucky mate as that could have gone a whole lot worse so count your blessing for that. There is nothing worse than permanent injury to oneself. Talking about injuries I had a steroid pain killing injection into my ankle bone under an Ultrasound this morning. Bikes can be rebuilt...bones can't.
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks VTRDark. I am still feeling extremely lucky three weeks after the crash. My graze has healed already and I'll just have a bit of a scar which naturally doesn't really bother me.

I'm delighted to say that thanks to a bit of eBay thriftiness on my part but largely due to the kindness and helpfulness of people on this forum I now have all the bits I need to get the bike back on the road. I'm still after a red fuel tank but the bike is rideable with the dented one (I think - need to double check it isn't split). I've taken the small bits over to the garage already and will be taking the fairings over this weekend, so it's *possible* that weekend after this I'll be taking her out on the road again. I hope this weather lasts...

I'll post some photos of the rebuild when I can.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good news. Can't believe the rubbish tanks on eBay and the price they want. I'm sure you will get one at the right price in the end. Will we see you on July 15th at Birmingham ?.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN