MacV2

Re: Firestorm Face book page

Post by MacV2 »

macdee wrote:I joined FB a few months ago and the vtr page a month back
I seen a set of clocks for sale contacted the man and sent the money
Loads of stories later the clocks and other parts haven't arrived
This wouldn't happen on the forum
Have you got your money back ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that sums up this forum and why i use it. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
macdee

Post by macdee »

I have now asked for my money back
If it doesn't arrive
I will play the name and shame game
MacV2 wrote:
Have you got your money back ?
told you not to but oh no you knew better
popkat

Post by popkat »

It's good for keeping in touch with old friends or just knowing how to contact them if need be. I don't post very much and when I do it'll be what I think may be of interest to my friends.

There's a lot of friend requests that I don't accept, I like to have met someone ideally but there are a few who I have never met.
I've un followed quite a few that just post shite all the time.
Some groups I'm in are very good, there's good people who are like minded and I have bought stuff with no problems.
the VTR page isn't one of them but I just skip what I'm not interested in, occasionally i'll chime in with a bit of advice, which I'd like to think is useful.

I'm also in local buying/selling groups just in case there's a bargain, there's loads of posts every day but not often of interest to me, they p1ss me off but I'm still on them.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

What facebook will be like for you will really depend on what you want from it and how you use it.
For keeping in touch with friends/family etc it can be a very good tool.

You don't have to smear your life all over facebook, you don't have to connect with every tom Richard and harry just for the sake of it and you don't have to join any groups either... anyone who says that facebook is rubbish, to the most part it is rubbish because they allow it to be. It's not hard to clean up your news feed or block someone or leave a group if it is needed (better yet, don't hook up with all the crap in the first place) and ofc we all have the ability to ignore stuff... you don't have to read everything that is posted. That said... in general I do think a lot facebook is shite but, I also think it's useful. I do have friends and family away that I keep in contact with and myself I am on quite a number of group pages relating to various interests of mine. I have had advice, iv'e sold, I have had bargains, I have been entertained and I have met some real nice folk.

If you are comparing like for like only as in this forum to the various firestorm group pages on facebook.. that's gonna come down to preference... certainly there are a lot of idiots on some of the facebook groups.. ok ok.. all of the facebook groups, and a lot of crap talk and pointless arguments but there is also plenty of fun real time banter which I like and there is plenty of advice and help on hand when needed. Why I generally stick with facebook though is because it has everything I want under one roof. Besides using it for keeping in contact I have plenty of interests.. but to name just an obvious one, bikes... particularly the storm but also modern, cafe, classic, streetfighter, custom... I like seeing other folks projects/builds/photos etc especially when a project is current so you can see it develop.. What I just mentioned could be 6 different forums worth there alone.. I'd much rather log into just one page.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'm with tony and a few others, so many facebook users thank think dan motos are the best and so on..... :roll:
I've already knocked about 4 storm pages on the head, so now i'm only on one and i'm starting to back away from that. so many childish attitudes. what I do/did like was seeing new ideas, from all over the world.
the most frustrating thing was posting for users to visit the forum for tech info, it felt like banging my head against a brick wall.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Agree with pretty much everything everyone has said about FB. I'm on it, rarely log in though to see 99.9% sh1t and more sh1t among the utter sh1t that people post/convince themselves about

Only social media thing that would be nearer the forum would b Google+ - it was built for interests you have and not for people you know

But the real benefit about a forum such as this is that members can ask very deep and personal questions, obviously disguised in a discussion about FB in this case, and get some real chummy support and considered thinking from our worldly wise community (some exceptions to this in the blue rinse squad).

So, Al, what's really troubling you? FB can't hold a candle to this place......
AMCQ46 wrote: 2) am I alone in these thoughts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

agentpineapple wrote:i'm only on one and i'm starting to back away from that.
If you're MartinVTR then I'm not surprised.

To answer to your second question Al - you're quite obviously not alone.

In answer to your first question, social media is set up specifically to deliver sound bites and mostly folks like that. It reinforces what they think they already know and that feels great for them: they only engage with people that hold the same view.

For those who like to consider their position, question their knowledge, learn and either change their view or consolidate it it's just another source of information. One to be treated with the same disdain/interest/intrigue as any other, depending on one's initial view of said information and one's desire to maintain one's own beliefs. It's just a tool.

I find the Facebook page vaguely interesting but it's not a source of considered and informed information for me. The same tired questions come up time and time again with the same answers. This forum has been a source of, in the first place, information to help me put a bike back together when I had no knowledge of putting any bike back together. In the second place it's a driver in fuelling my passion for the Firestorm.

When I decided to sack off getting my yellow one road worthy it was the interest in the bike from this forum that steered me towards another VTR1000F. Who would buy a track Firestorm for a bit less than a grand when countless CBR600s are available for a little bit more? Someone who has been persuaded, through this forum, that these bikes and more than the sum of there parts. That's who.

Ultimately, the value one gets from something is related to the effort the put in. Facebook requires little effort and therefore delivers little reward. Forums require more effort and are therefore more difficult but also more rewarding. And so on and so one up to physical, face to face contact with actual people.

Was I a bit nervous about meeting a bunch of people who clearly had a rapport for a track day last year? Yes, a little. Did I fit in? Yes, I think so. Would I be so willing to put myself in that position with people on the Facebook group? No, I don't think so. I've been on enough group holidays to know that there's always a tw@ or two and I can't now be arsed with them. I'm sure that would be the case with a Facebook organised day but I was comfortable it would be OK through this forum.

This is all a longwinded way of saying that, whatever it is, it's always better when effort is required. Take the bookface page for what it is Al and treat it accordingly. :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I've never had any desire to use the Facebook resource for reference on the VTR, preferring to stay with what I know and trust, the forum.
Even before I bought the bike I used .org to research what needed to be done to the bike, good/useful/aesthetically pleasing mods and it's never let me down. Bought the bike and had already collected numerous bits to sort it, including manual CCT's.
The whole instant gratification, validation shite on Facebook holds no interest to me. Why anyone would place details of their lives for everyone else to entertain themselves with, eludes me.
I can understand the usefulness of the Friends reunited side of it though.
Call me a Luddite, been called a lot worse, but I'm happy just to use this.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well at least you have mostly validated my opinion resulting from my 1 week evaluation.... Was starting to think I was losing the plot.

So perhaps the extra effort needed to become a forum member is the key deciding factor that keeps this club house free of tw*ts, and lets us old farts live in a subworld that lines up better with our values.

Thanks for the great answers :thumbup:
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Facebook is where all the undesirables go that don't or won't fit in on here as we'll see straight through them and not offer lube .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

freeridenick wrote: .

Was I a bit nervous about meeting a bunch of people who clearly had a rapport for a track day last year? Yes, a little. Did I fit in? Yes, I think so. Would I be so willing to put myself in that position with people on the Facebook group? No, I don't think so. I've been on enough group holidays to know that there's always a tw@ or two and I can't now be arsed with them. I'm sure that would be the case with a Facebook organised day but I was comfortable it would be OK through this forum.

This is all a longwinded way of saying that, whatever it is, it's always better when effort is required. Take the bookface page for what it is Al and treat it accordingly. :thumbup:
I bet you are still regretting the night in the tent though... I thought you were MrsMcQ honest :lol:
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

freeridenick wrote: This is all a longwinded way of saying that, whatever it is, it's always better when effort is required.
So true. Note to self ..... :wink:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote:
freeridenick wrote: .

I bet you are still regretting the night in the tent though... I thought you were MrsMcQ honest :lol:
:lol: still scarred :crazy: !
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have just realised what Facebook reminds me of....

its a free but crap reality TV show!!!!!!!

some really shallow people trying to be famous for 15mins and the number of people who like or comment validates their need for peer group approval.

but then then when the get bad comments they must crack up inside :D
AMcQ