Frequent nose bleeds from riding the bike....

General Biker Banter
TheGingerBeardMan

Frequent nose bleeds from riding the bike....

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Ok, it's not mega cold, and despite the frost n' mild dusting fo snow for 5 minutes, it's still pretty baltic up here.

The temps been hovering at 0 C / -1 or -2C, but on the bike the wind-chill factor makes it worse. Ok, I know the salt encrusted air does nothing for the facial skin, as that all goes dry and cracked after riding. That's normal for anyone riding in freezing temps.

But, this past few times out on the Storm, I've noticed my nostrils are bloody sore to touch. Even the lightest brushing of a fingertip, or the balaclava resting on them causes the facial tubes to start dripping blood. Never had a sore nose before in all the years of riding, but this past while, JEEZ! - very nippy to the touch. It's like someones punched it full on.

Even hours after I'm inside, coffee and and warmed up, I touch me nose and flinch (like ya do when there's a splinter under then skin and you catch it on something), and boom: away they go again leaking the red stuff - more the left one than the right one.

Is it just a sign of geting old and blood vessels are thinner? Is it a diabetioc thing? Or is it again an age related thing, that the older you get, the probablility of leaking fluids from all available orifices increases? :(

And no = I ain't going to the Docs with the malady. That's what the forum is for. All you armchair GPs get consulting! :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Re: Frequent nose bleeds from riding the bike....

Post by lloydie »

Try tampons
TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:Try tampons
Hmmm. Now. This may be a proper suggestion, as to stuff them in each nostril...

Or....is Sir calling me a pussy? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Both but one will work !!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The inside of your nose has many tiny blood vessels that allow your nose to detect smells, tastes and sensations. These blood vessels are very easily irritated, which can often lead to nose bleeds. Winter’s cold temperatures and dry air increase the likelihood of getting a nose bleed. However, you can take steps to reduce winter-related nose bleeds and winter habits that can contribute to nose bleeds.
Step 1

Blow your nose only when necessary. Because cold temperatures can increase mucus flow, you may find that your nose runs more in the winter. However, blowing your nose too often or vigorously can irritate your nasal membranes. When you do blow your nose, do it as gently as possible or dab the nose instead. Use a soft tissue or cloth to prevent damage to the nose area.
Step 2

Use a humidifier in your home to introduce moisture into the air. Dry winter air can make the blood vessels more susceptible to damage. Clean the humidifier regularly to keep from introducing fungus that thrives in a moist environment into the air.

Step 3

Apply petroleum jelly to the inside of your nasal passages. This will lock in moisture to your nasal cavity, possibly preventing a nose bleed. Other options include applying an antibiotic cream or saline nasal spray.
Step 4

Avoid eating spicy foods or hot beverages, which can contribute to bleeding and are often consumed to warm up during the winter. Eating foods you are allergic to, such as milk or wheat, also can inflame your blood vessels, increasing your risk for nose bleeds.
Step 5

Limit your use of medications inhaled through the nose, such as nasal decongestant sprays that are commonly employed to combat cold and flu symptoms that are prevalent in the winter. Inhaled medications can irritate the nasal lining and cause nose bleeds.
Things You'll Need

Petroleum jelly, antibiotic cream or saline nasal spray

Stolen from...http://www.livestrong.com/article/35450 ... se-bleeds/

Lloydie shoukd be able to help with the Vasaline supply...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Also see here...https://consumer.healthday.com/women-s- ... 95755.html

You on any blood thining drugs ?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

MacV2 wrote:.

Step 3

Apply petroleum jelly to the inside of your anal passage. This will lock in moisture to your anal cavity, possibly preventing a nose bleed. Other options include applying an anti static cream or butt plug .

Lloydie shoukd be able to help with the Vasaline supply...
No3 works
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

M8tey ... youve opened up a common can of worms here lots of
folks get nose bleeds and sometimes its best to check them out
despite your reluctance to seek advice as there may be underlying medical
issues ... Such as 1. High BP blood pressure, serious . 2 Small nasal polyps
so on.. so forth so a routine check up will sort you ...dont hesitate to see your GP
good luck :wave:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

do you wear an open face lid ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
TheGingerBeardMan

WOW - thank you all. At least you didn't come back with ''sell the house....it's really bad....I give it a week...and erm....can I have yer bike keys and boots before you bleed to death?!''

Vaseline is used in me nasal toobs on really cold days if I'm oot n' aboot on the bike.
lloydie wrote:
MacV2 wrote:Step 3

Apply petroleum jelly to the inside of your anal passage. This will lock in moisture to your anal cavity, possibly preventing a nose bleed. Other options include applying an anti static cream or butt plug .
If I was to apply vaseline round me ring, I would NOT be worring about the blood coming from my nose, but rather from the area that has said vaseline applied!

Butt plugs are not used whilst riding the bike, as can you imagine explaining that if you crash, and they strip you off in the A&E room? That'll take some explaning when you come round. :think: Besides, yer elbow gives up the grip factor when shifitng from one side of the seat to the other, when going into tight bends (oo-er...bad pun!). So, trying to grip a seat AND retain a plug at the same time? Not an ideal situation as my muscles are not that well trained to ''multi task'' (unlike yours!) :eek2 :twisted: :lol:

What else? Erm, no, I don't use decongestants (like the Vicks nose sniffer tubes).

Yes, the blood pressure is a tad on the high side, and has been for a while (Type 1 diabetic as well, which is why I wondered about the blood connection. They tell me that not having good blood control can thin the arteries in de eyeballs, so, maybe the same with me hooter?) - but no, I'm not on any blood thinning stuff. The only thing I carry is Glycerol spray, and that goes under me tongue and not up me nose. I haven't used that for over a year thank gawd.

What else replies at the VTR Rider Clinic?
lumpyv wrote:do you wear an open face lid ??
No, I don't wear an open face anymore. I used to when on de custom stuff, but it's full face all the way now...with visor down and draught sealed under the chin by a) The beard, b) Oxford balaclava, and c) The chin of my helmet is usually flat on the tank when I'm riding to keep out the cold air, reduce drag, gain extra mph, and I'm riding on full Rossi mode.

(one of those 3 options may have been slightly embellished :think: )

I shall see if they (the nosebleeds) continue, and if the tenderness doesn't go away, then I might (might) think about dropping the condition to the quack. It's just that there's too much going on with the old bod as it is...I don't need to come out of there with something else.

Thank y'all for yer time. And here was me expecting at least ONE reply from someone saying ''yeah...I get that...we ride here in Scandinavia/Canada/Sweden/Kent and suffer the same thing''.

:thumbup:

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As Mac wrote. Wear a snood to help warm the air as you breathe in and don't go venture to Antarctica in case bits drop off.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote:As Mac wrote. Wear a snood to help warm the air as you breathe in and don't go venture to Antarctica in case bits drop off.

Thats gonna have to be one fek off big snood to fit over the BEARD... 8O
TheGingerBeardMan

Wicky wrote:As Mac wrote. Wear a snood to help warm the air as you breathe in and don't go venture to Antarctica.
But....but, I do wear a face covering which also tucks into my jacket. There are no draughts at all. (it's a thermal Oxford bike balaclava). A snood buggers up me vision creating too much condensation under the lid, and I wear specs. Lifting the visor doesn't help. Visor needs to be fully closed up here on cold days.

Hmmm. Maybe I should give up de bikes, and buy a car. OOOH. Encased from the elements. Heater on full whack. Skin back to being supple and smooth as a babys elbow again. :think:

Nah. I'll keep freezing me fizog for a while to come yet. Said to mac that the only time I'll be seen dead in 4 wheels, will be in the back of the hearse. :lol:

TheGingerBeardMan

...it were that cold up here once, I decided to go to the garage and get me bike out for a crisp winter ride...

...I opened the garage door, and there were 2 Polar Bears sat trying to spark some welding rods together to warm the place up a bit...

Baltic? I'd say...

Even the balls on my brass monkey ornaments had dropped off.

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Well if it's full face I have nothing to offer ?? :)
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.