Whens the time to get a new Job?

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

Whens the time to get a new Job?

Post by bigtwinthing »

Good Salary, Good bonus, Company Car, Private Medical Ins, 29 days holiday but ! I bloody hate it. When do i decide to change, I've been with them for 25 years in March but the last 2 years are crappy ones. 60 odd hrs a week and working 80 miles away from home and covering for 3 Staff.

should i just bin it and get something else?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Re: Whens the time to get a new Job?

Post by tony.mon »

Yes. Life's too short to spend appreciable chunks of it doing something you're not enjoying.
I am currently waiting for a date for a final interview for something interesting and lucrative.
Another iron in the fire is lower-paid than my current one but on the doorstep and a low stress, easy little drift towards retirement.
Don't know yet which one I'll pick, but out of the blue today someone offered me an interview for a Head of Service in the Medway Towns at 61k+.
I'm considering it.....

If nothing else it's good for your ego....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i agree, The stress is getting to me, i had 464 e mails after 1 weeks holiday. Sleepless nights are making me want to simply jack it in. Its about 7k less though, however just recently I've paid of any debts we had and just have a small mortgage. My yearly bonus was always the second ski holiday of the year. I think having one will be a good swap for a lot less stress.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I feel the same. Moved the family down south, away from my friends and my parents, now regretting it. Job is boring, no relationship with the boss and horrible commute every day. The money looked good but the cost of housing down here has me stumped. :evil:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's easy to say but health and happiness needs to take priority over money it's just that life can make this difficult when one has debts and/or bills to pay. It's good to get these out of the way if you can and even sacrifice a few of lives little luxuries if needs be. Not easy finding something that gives a nice work / life balance where one can be content.

I'm not happy with my new job, it's killing me mentally and physically. I thought I was going to have a heart attack today (would have been a blessing in disguise) with tightening of the chest and shortness of breath and work didn't seem to give a sh1t. It was like just get on with it. I went on an early break without permission, got back and then carried on with things. TBH I was getting to the point where I almost said wombles you and walked. It's also killing my leg / ankle being on my feet all day long with heavy lifting. wombles slave labour it is. Feels like being in prison. :( actually prison would be more restful. There's no real teamwork there either, some work hard and others skive. The skivers are mostly long timers and get away with it while us real workers get abused and given more work to do because they know we graft and they can rely on us to get the job done. So unfair.

My sensible head took over and I am searching for something new but it's not easy while all I seem to do is work, get home sleep and then back to work again. Some nights I have had to get a bottle to piss in because I cant get up and walk to the the toilet as I can't weight bare on my leg which is throbbing. It's ok while I'm on it all day and moving accept I limp really bad, but as soon as I get home sit down, after 1h I am stuck. No time to really look for anything else properly. I need to go in on Saturday morning shift again because someone is off sick. They need more staff but wont employ any more. That's corporate environments for you. All they care about is making money and driving their staff into the ground for peanuts. I have the day off tomorrow but I need to go to the docs and get some new anti depressants. Been refereed to a mental health team but they don't think I'm bi polar. I'm not sure. I don't really want to be on anti depressants either, especially as I have to take pain killers which I am now doing more so because of this poxy job. I have not been able to cook a proper meal since I stated this job either which is not helping matters and pissing me off. Work , sleep, work, sleep. I am living to work accept it's not really living......it's barely surviving.
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I don't know anybody now in a job where they seem to look after you much. My company promote "Values" and say 'Truth, Honesty and Delivery" etc All managers have been on a "Inspirational Leadership" training last 2 years, its always ongoing with monthly tasks etc, promoting a good "Work -Life balance" and this gives you more time at work and less time at home. I am sure iam going blow pretty soon and just jack it in. However i may just decide after 25 years to have a week off sick and chill out. I need too. i am so wound up, they have had crap Management in 2 of my Workshops for probably 8 years, had 4 Senior Managers try to sort it and failed. Ive employed 11 People in 9 months but got rid of 4 as they were crap in some way, and can't get good mechanics anywhere to work on dustcarts. I know need 2 managers and 3 fitters. Have 2 on suspension and have their work to do too. I am burnt out.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I know the feeling,my old boss used to send me me to demolition jobs where there would anything up to 20 Eastern europeans and expect me to communicate with them.As i was running the jobs i was responsible for their safety,can you imagine trying to run a job when only 1 or 2 speak English and all they want to do is steal the non ferrous metals.After 12 years of this i did blow up and walked (well stole his van to get me home,but thats another story).Put the house on the market,sold it and moved to Spain to do nothing,but finished up cleaning swimming pools as my own business.Best thing i ever done.After 7 glorious years in Spain i came back to this rat race 4 years ago due to family problems.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

As people say, this life isn't a practice run. But, debt is the killer. Nearly 10 years ago I was made bankrupt and lost everything to a very nasty wife. Business, house, everything. I was left with very high blood pressure, a Porsche and £1000 in cash. Nothing else. Didn't even have a bank account.

It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was hard to rebuild a business but I'm still totally debt free and I'm doing things that I want to do and people pay me money for it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Kermit how lovely to hear something positive there. I'm really pleased for you mate and after what you have been through well deserved. It's so sad but in this county in particular, especially the big cities, most times it takes a real low like that before folk get back n the up. We really shouldn't have to be forced to that point.

Managers, line managers etc I think all adds to problem because all the paperwork they have to deal with and the way they have to do things to get this done often conflicts against the guys on the ground who know how to get things done if simply left to get on with it their way. I don;t even want to start on the language issues with other colleagues...my gawd, nightmare with some of them, cheap labour though.

Right got to go out for my appointment with the quack now. I shall probably drive the shrink insane. :lol: Oh well I shall see what they have to say but whether I follow their advice and take the meds is something else. They are in a system of paperwork, rules and regs from above too, so I'm not sure how much they really care and are there too help as they have targets. At the end of the day I have to help myself. I'd love to get out of London for starters. Better still the country.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And I'm back. That was quick. The good thing is they are not going to put me on med's. They are going to send me for counselling and also provide some kind of services that help one look and find a job including helping with the law and ones rights with disabilities. As far as they can see I am articulate enough and can see some kind of direction but I require help in reaching my goals and finding somewhere where I am happy. My mental health will then improve simply by being in an environment where I am happy and is not bringing me down. In the meantime I am going to do what I can on my days off, keep searching job sites and popping my CV into places locally. I quite fancy some bar work. I need to be working somewhere that is in a more sociable environment where I can meet and chat to people and not be stuck in a warehouse style environment day in day out and I don't want a 9 - 5 job following all the other sheep in society across rush hour traffic. It's so important to be happy in ones job considering amount of time in our lives we spend working.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:The good thing is they are not going to put me on med's.
Sweet!
I know they can be helpful for some but from my experience most people I know who have gone down this route have then had another problem trying to get back off them or dealing with other complications.
Good on you Carl. Keep plodding away, you'll get there in the end. The only way you will fail is if you give up trying. We all get stuck in the doldrums every now and again and sometimes life is the boring eat, sleep, work,eat, sleep, work, but we get through it eventually and hopefully find something interesting along the way.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks Pete. Yes I am well aware of the complications that come with anti depressants. They are not a pleasant drug to be taking and also take at least a month before they kick in and then one has to be weaned off them. Not fast enough acting and way too many side affects for my liking as long as having to stay away from alcohol (not that I am a big drinker) and the complication of mixing them with pain killers. No not a route I really wanted to take, I'm intelligent enough to realise this, I just need to motivate myslef and kick my own butt. If only I could bend my left leg more :lol: Now if we had medical marijuana in this country things would be diffrent. :D Were getting there but it's way to expensive.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... er-6692049

https://medipen.co/
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:i i had 464 e mails after 1 weeks holiday.
Swap?
874 after two days off last week. It's taken me all day Monday and Tuesday to read through them- and obviously, a few hundred more arrived while i'm working through the backlog.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:
Swap?
874 after two days off last week. It's taken me all day Monday and Tuesday to read through them- and obviously, a few hundred more arrived while i'm working through the backlog.
Do you honestly read through all those emails? Get control of your life!

ctrl A/ del

The important onces will be resent.

Really, I can't believe poeple do this.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
tony.mon wrote:
Swap?
Do you honestly read through all those emails? Get control of your life!

ctrl A/ del

The important onces will be resent.

Really, I can't believe poeple do this.
I have Compliance and H/S issues. i must deal with. I don't delete anything. I open every mail to read it and relocate to appropriate folders.
I have to act accordingly. Today i noticed i failed to open an e mail from last Wednesday. Its cost the company £850 this week for a vehicle Hire cost. I have to read them all see!. However not sure i am going to last much longer.